Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 21 year old, but I much prefer and feel much more relaxed around people older than me. I feel people my age are always judging me....yes, even though I know they aren't. It gets to the point where sometime when grocery shopping, I'll purposely stand in a longer line just to avoid a cashier I know I wont feel comfortable around.

·
Comfortably Numb
232 Posts
I know how you feel,sometimes I use to feel that way with people my own age.All I can think of is that somehow they are judging me or that I'm not equal to them,in some way.It definitely has to do with self-esteem;just remind yourself that it's not real,that its your self doubt that is making you feel that way.When you feel more confident about yourself you won't feel that way anymore.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think that someone can have SA and not self esteem issues? Just curious because to me, with self confidence, I don't think SA would even exist. Too bad there aren't self esteem pills!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm the same way too. I feel much more anxious and self-conscious around my peer group, I don't know why. I guess it is like you said, feeling judged and even more weird and awkward, like everything that is wrong with me gets magnified. The worst thing is being in a small class where everyone is just so outgoing and talkative and normal, I become like Oscar the Grouch, I hate the world.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Small college classes are THE worst! What about when the professors do "break the ice" games, or GROUP PROJECTS? I cant tell you how many classes I've dropped because of group projects.

2,348 Posts
I have always been more comfortable around people older than me. In preschool I would talk to the teacher instead of my classmates. I felt anxious as well as kind of not wanting to play with them because, in general, I much preferred talking to adults. I think this is because I was always around adults when I was a kid. I also feel less threatened, more at ease.

·
Registered
73 Posts
For sure, this is the case with me. I've never fit in with my age group...of course, there are exceptions sometimes. I just find that the majority of my classmates don't interest and rather disappoint me.

The gossip...shallowness, immaturity. Ugh. Can. Not. STAND IT!!!

At my current age of 18 years, I feel most comfortable around those who are at least over 21 (those who do not display the traits I stated in the above paragraph...) or under the age of 12.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts