Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such thing?

I'm too nervous to go see a one-on-one therapist and would probably feel more comfortable if there was a special kind of facility for people with SA. What I mean by this facility is something where you can go in, like a class perhaps once a week, and you have an instructor that pairs you into groups where you all simulate real-life scenarios, take turns speaking about a topic, and anything else in order to better improve your anxiety.

It just sucks how SA is so 'under the radar', compared to all other disorders, that most people are not aware of such disorder and they simply think you're either shy or weird.

·
Chlorine and Wine
12,105 Posts
If only. But then it would have to be affordable and nearby too, which is almost as unlikely.

Because an hour a week really isn't good enough.

·
In my box
909 Posts
Yh it's called group therapy. You can get it for free in the UK

·
Banned
1,082 Posts

·
Banned
180 Posts
You're never going to find quality mental health care for free, I don't care where you live.

Still, that place probably does the same garbage everyone else does except in a posh surrounding, another scam like all the rest. It's big business taking advantage of people, very lucrative.

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
If you get a referral from a doctor you can get group therapy sessions for SA paid for by Medicare. They do similar things to what you're describing: acting out scenarios, practicing etc...

·
bipolar
17,195 Posts
Looks like there really is such a place.
https://socialanxietyinstitute.org/social-anxiety-treatment/international-group/description

I'm actually giving this some consideration and perhaps attend it next year.
It's a 3 week course, but damn it costs about $6,000 for the whole thing :S
This looks like it's in the US - you don't have to travel that far or spend so much. St Vincents Hospital in Darlinghurst, Sydney has had an anxiety clinic for years - I'm pretty sure they would include treating social anxiety nowadays as there's a lot more awareness of it.

Here's their link:

http://adc.crufad.org/

http://www.crufad.org/index.php/learn-about/social-phobia

https://thiswayup.org.au/clinic/

The last link is to an online program they have for Social Anxiety.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
https://thiswayup.org.au/clinic/
The last link is to an online program they have for Social Anxiety.
Thanks for the info, seems very helpful. Just one quick question- is there a way I can register for the program without having to go through a clinician? I'd rather do a program online privately as opposed to having someone else assess my progression.

·
No Love Lost
243 Posts
Group therapy is also free in Canada, by means of admitting yourself to be assessed at the ER for suicidal attempt or plan. I went there for a 3 week out-patient program and it helped a lot. It's simply not worth paying for. Anxiety and depression cannot be healed without underlying -personal commitment and effort. I know how easy it is to overlook the simplicity of bettering your health and lifestyle as a main offence towards the goal of stability, but that's really all it is. I've had the pleasure of speaking to doctors and psychiatrists alike and the most reoccurring notion is that medication is 70 percent more effective when you are making changes in all areas of your life.

If you need to spend 6 grand as a source to motivate yourself to change, by all means, go for it. But if it's not free in your country I would highly suggest searching for a meet up. When I was in the out patient program it was the group therapy that truly taught me more about myself and how to see others as real as can be. The whole experience was just a shockwave that still pulses within me to urge me to try harder since I know I've truly done everything I could, and can do now. But the secret is just perseverance and undying will to keep working towards tomorrow.

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Group therapy is also free in Canada, by means of admitting yourself to be assessed at the ER for suicidal attempt or plan. I went there for a 3 week out-patient program and it helped a lot. It's simply not worth paying for. Anxiety and depression cannot be healed without underlying -personal commitment and effort. I know how easy it is to overlook the simplicity of bettering your health and lifestyle as a main offence towards the goal of stability, but that's really all it is. I've had the pleasure of speaking to doctors and psychiatrists alike and the most reoccurring notion is that medication is 70 percent more effective when you are making changes in all areas of your life.

If you need to spend 6 grand as a source to motivate yourself to change, by all means, go for it. But if it's not free in your country I would highly suggest searching for a meet up. When I was in the out patient program it was the group therapy that truly taught me more about myself and how to see others as real as can be. The whole experience was just a shockwave that still pulses within me to urge me to try harder since I know I've truly done everything I could, and can do now. But the secret is just perseverance and undying will to keep working towards tomorrow.
@Holla, I miss you. :(

·
Chlorine and Wine
12,105 Posts
It's all such a rip-off. People who say money doesn't buy you happiness are naive.

·
bipolar
17,195 Posts
Thanks for the info, seems very helpful. Just one quick question- is there a way I can register for the program without having to go through a clinician? I'd rather do a program online privately as opposed to having someone else assess my progression.
Hi - I'm sorry but I really don't know much about the program. I do know of another online CBT program though - put together by Aust National Uni - it's called Mood Gym.

https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

1 - 19 of 19 Posts