Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
A jagged pulse
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. forgive me if this type of thread has been posted before. But was wondering what type of person everyone s without theyre SA getting in the way? like what are is your personalty with Sa and what is it without SA? whatg are your hobbies and interest as well? what do you want in a friend ....man/woman..i wonder if any of us would get along wthout are Sa

·
Banned
728 Posts
I dont think theres a difference to be honest. Social anxiety for me makes it difficult to trust people and go out etc.

But my personality will always be the same. I believe i'm a nice person, and always treat good people with respect.

And anyone who crosses my path will know it.

My only real hobbys are sports.

I look for Humility, respect, decency, trust, reliability etc in a friend.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's true that we're still the same person in SA situations and when we're not, but how we present ourselves is probably different to other people.

For me, I find my true personality seems to come out fine when I'm typing to other people online, I guess I communicate better in writing than in speech at the moment. My sentences tend to relate to each other a lot more, be more concise, and I don't have the risk of running into my bad habit of second-guessing myself and changing my mind about something halfway through a sentence. I just communicate better in general because I can take all the time in the world I want to respond, while in a real conversation if I did that every sentence it'd be way too slow to come up with that "best thing" to say to communicate what I want.

·
o_O
6,024 Posts
Without my SA I'm highly opinionated and hardly ever serious. I like to clown around poke people and act really annoying (I hardly ever get to this level with anyone outside of my immediate family and siblings.) With SA I just sit there with my mouth sawn shut because I'm too scared of what people would think if I showed my true self and chose to speak my mind. If I did act like the real me I know that people would have a problem with it because I tend to act childish and my opinions on most subjects tend to be the opposite to that of about 90% of people I interact with. When I'm in my SA mode though I pretend that I agree with everyone because I'm afraid of confrontation and the idea of arguing with someone I'm shy around scares me.

·
Registered
928 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think I would be a real fun and silly gal. I wouldn't be afraid to have some laughs, instead of holding back because later I'll look back on it and make myself sick from thinking that everyone MUST hate me for being too loud and too annoying.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am a cool calm and collected individual who likes to joke around a lot. I love to help and treat others with kindness. But with the SA I appear to be quiet and distant.

My hobbies and interest are computers, sports, field of medicine, movies, music, working out, reading, laughing, cooking, cars, animals and lots more just can't think of them all right now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
you know I was just thinking about this the other day. One reason I'm P.O.ed about having SA is that I'm a very out going determined person. When I want something I find a way to get it, if someone tells me I cant do something I do it just to prove them wrong etc. But every time SA rears its ugly head its like I hit a brick wall at 100mph. So I got one side of me constantly battling the other.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm a lot smarter than my SA allows me to be. It's really unfortunate because on my own time thinking, I am so articulate and intelligent in my mind. But put me in front of a person to talk and I do not have these eloquent conversations that I imagine. I give one word answers, and laugh awkwardly over nothing. I get so flustered, and in my head I am so calm and collected. I'm also a very flighty person when I actually speak (not think) so I have an added reason for avoiding talking to other people as much as possible. I'm so afraid of coming off as a ditz because it's not how I feel inside, that I don't even allow myself to have a personality around other people.

And I have all kinds of hobbies and interests, I think...but for some reason when people ask me, I really couldn't say what they were!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I really have no idea. I spend so much time switching and just plain having no personality that it's hard to know what I'm really like. Goodness, now that's a depressing thought..

·
Ex SA Suffer-er lol :)
124 Posts
My SA makes me lose myself so i pretty much have multiple personalities. Sometimes im super confident and happy and funny but then im serious and paranoid and uptight.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Im not serious at all. I try to be relaxed most of the time but we all know that doesn't always work. I can NEVER initiate a conversation. If someone sits next to me and never says a word, I will not even attempt to talk to them. I always feel like I will come off as rude or the person just doesn't want to talk to me at all anyway so why waste the time..

Thats my general attitude.

·
(.*?)
6,761 Posts
SA makes me appear nice, agreeable, opinionless and humorless. I'm actually analytical, argumentative and always laughing at my own jokes as I sit alone in the room.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think it's a good idea to see yourself without SA and focus on that person you are. The reason for this is simple....That person will manifest more when you identify more with being that person.

If a person keeps seeing themself as a person with SA, then, reality will actually reflect what that person is creating for themself.

I believe in reality, who we really are is peaceful, we just keep creating a self who is anxious and we strongly believe this, so as it goes, we weaken our self belief courage and confidence in who we really are and create situations where anxiety is will arise.

My understanding is that there is no anxiety outside of our mind, because anxiety is caused in something formless, our mind. It goes that when we distinguish a self that is not anxious and a self that is anxious, we create a friction and uncertainty of who we really are, so we get confused.

I reckon that the more a person identifies with their real self and focuses on it, the more it manifests and comes alive, the same is true of the anxious self.

This being said, why intend to be an anxious self? It doesn't make any sense.

In my view learning to be at one with the feeling of anxiety on the inside is key in allowing your real self to shine through.

Aron

·
killer of conversations
10,545 Posts
For me there isn't a huge difference between the two. I'm still the same person, just less open and talkative. SA makes me more or less a closed book.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts