Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is vaguely medication-related so I think this is the best place for this.

How many of you who respond well to stimulants also have myopia (short/near-sightedness)?

I didn't know this until today, but apparently retinal dopaminergic activity (especially D2, which as we all know, can play a huge role in SA) during childhood plays a significant role in the development of myopia. Dopamine is released in the retina in response to light, so presumably a lack of activity causes the brain to sense impaired light/vision, triggering the eye to grow to compensate.

There aren't many studies that directly implicate D2, but there are several that implicate retinal dopamine in general.

I wonder how common myopia actually is among those with stimulant-responsive SA/ADHD. A flawed D2 gene being behind all of those symptoms would make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I don't know about myopia, but my eyes are very sensitive to light. For example I do not see well at night while driving (especially in the rain).

I believe I have low dopamine.

Reactions: Kennnie

·
Phucked
739 Posts
I am shortsighted and have SA, but my brother seems to have perfect vision and also has SA so I am not sure about this.

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most short-sighted people don't have SA and most people with SA probably aren't short-sighted, as both conditions have loads of different causes, so even in people with both, there's very little chance that they're connected, but it could still be a possibility.

·
Phucked
739 Posts
I'd sure as hell like to try a stimulant and report back, but unless I lie and pretend I've got adhd I can't see that happening.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I respond well to stimulants in terms of helping depression & SA.

I've also needed vision correction for the last 27 years. My script is roughly -4.00 (used to be stronger years back).

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
That is interesting. Can you explain more what do you mean by the eye growing to compensate for reduced retinal activation?

·
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
738 Posts
My left eye is quite short-sighted, but my right seems to be the opposite, long-sighted. Plus I have ok night vision, so that wouldn't seem to be the problem and I don't really see a connection.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Although I don't necessarily buy into this, I do have to admit I'm near sighted and have very bad night vision. I try not to drive at night cause it's very anxiety provoking for me, just don't have good night vision at all

·
Registered
87 Posts
Although I don't necessarily buy into this, I do have to admit I'm near sighted and have very bad night vision. I try not to drive at night cause it's very anxiety provoking for me, just don't have good night vision at all
I am also nearsighted and have bad night vision. Although never diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, I respond well to stimulents.

·
Temporarily stationary
1,486 Posts
Had SA :rollsince a very little kid-no eye problems!
This is all anecdotal anyway, no one is saying this is a definitive cause or the only cause. I've had SA since I was a kid and I developed eye problems later on, which corespondent to the theory. It's just interesting and could potentially lead to something if there is actually a connection.

Skepticism is great but there is no need to just be dismissive unless its a completely ridiculous claim.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I haven't tried stimulants but I started getting nearsighted several years ago. I had always had good vision until I tried mirtazapine for sleep. Then suddenly I couldn't read the board in class anymore. I assumed it was a temporary effect of the mirtazapine, but it never went away when I stopped taking it.

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is interesting. Can you explain more what do you mean by the eye growing to compensate for reduced retinal activation?
I assume some effect of the dopamine release/activation is supposed to limit/moderate the growth of the eye. Dopaminergics have been shown to halt the development of myopia in some animals at least.

BTW most of the damage is done in childhood, people rarely just suddenly develop myopia, and even if the dopamine/myopia thing is true, taking stimulants as an adult who already has it won't fix it, it's just an interesting connection.

·
Registered
301 Posts
ive got myopia, lazy eye , extreme astigmastism etc..etc.. a lot of my anxiety is in talking to people because i cant see well I cant recognize or remember faces very well, so I am never sure if i am talking to someone i have met before. even with correction I cant pick out my own parents out of a crowd. my vision is about 20/200 corrected

1 - 20 of 20 Posts