Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you seen "ordinary people"?(1980. DVD release, 2001.)
timothy hutton plays "conrad" (excellently), a high school kid overcome by guilt over the death of his brother which he thinks is his fault.

And if you have SA, I think you will identify allot with the way he interacts with his friends in the film, very much SA style.

if you like emotions, it's got it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Bill Pullman acting the character of Daryl Zero in the movie "Zero Effect".

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
The main character Max Cohen from the movie "Pi" def. seems to have SA. (And epileptic migraines. And arguably schizophrenia.)

Reactions: BobtheBest

·
Allons-y!
2,011 Posts
Amelie in Amelie :) and Adrian Brody's character in Dummy, imo.

·
Registered
198 Posts
the lead character from the movie Harold and Maude - ah it's such a great flick, if you haven't yet seen it, rent it.

·
Magnanimous carcinoma
6,888 Posts
I watched a film not long ago that was a PERFECT example, but I can't remember the name of it, nor can I remember the premise. Other movies could be: Ghost World, Pump Up the Volume, George McFly in Back to the Future, Willard, Adaptation, several Woody Allen films I'm sure.

To a lesser extent "May," as far as loneliness and friendlessness goes. Perhaps "Ginger Snaps" falls into that category as well.

·
Registered
538 Posts
jayclants said:
Have you seen "ordinary people"?(1980. VD release, 2001.)
timothy hutton plays "conrad" (excellently), a high school kid overcome by guilt over the death of his brother which he thinks is his fault.

And if you have SA, I think you will identify allot with the way he interacts with his friends in the film, very much SA style.

if you like emotions, it's got it.
I read the book and watched the movie in english class in highschool, they are both great. The movie was directed by robert redford (a lot of people don't know that).

I don't think he has SA I just think he has severe depression, but that's something most people here can relate to anyway.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I can't believe that Redford won the Best Director oscar for that over Scorsese for Raging Bull. Disgraceful.

Anyway back on topic, Philip Seymour Hoffman in Happiness. Not such a sympathetic character though :lol

PS: Philip Seymour Hoffman in 25th Hour too for that matter. He plays a lot of those types of roles

·
Registered
151 Posts
do u think adam sandler in anger management might have SA. he didntt want to kiss in public or stand up to his boss

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
elephant_girl
I read the book and watched the movie in english class in highschool, they are both great. The movie was directed by robert redford (a lot of people don't know that).

I don't think he has SA I just think he has severe depression, but that's something most people here can relate to anyway.
He doesn't have SA, but the way he interacts with friends and family is SO S.A.D. style.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
silentbutdeadly said:
do u think adam sandler in anger management might have SA. he didntt want to kiss in public or stand up to his boss
even though i didn't see the film, generally not wanting to kiss in public or stand up to your boss is not sufficient criteria for SA

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
You need to see the movie Dummy with Adrien Brody. It is about a shy and timid guy from a very dysfunctional family who learns to break out of his shell.

what is scary is how similar and spot on some scenes with his family are when compared to mine. Whoever wrote this movie must have had some sort of personal experience with being "different"

What was strange is I happened to catch this movie on the sundance channel this morning when I was feeling like crap. It gave me a lot of laughs noticing the similarities between him & I.

·
Magnanimous carcinoma
6,888 Posts
another one is "Rubin and Ed"
The character of Rubin is a shy loner with no friends who lives with his mom. It's hard to come by.. It's only out on VHS, if you want to see it.. I'd try local-owned video stores, or you can get it on the movie's website.

"My cat can eat a whole watermelon."

Rubin's Mother: Why don't you go out and make yourself a friend?
Rubin: No!
Mom: Yes!
Rubin: No!
Mom: Well then take out the trash.
Ed: Just give them a buzz and tell them I'm stuck in the middle of the desert with an a**w*pe and a frozen cat.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm not exactly sure...but I think Leonardo Di Caprio's character in "Catch Me if You Can" might qualify as someone with SA...It's a big might. He may not be your typical SAer, but he definatley had some SA qualities and he was most definately a loner. Anyway, it was based on a true story, so...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts