Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the biggest problems that people with severe social anxiety have is going to stores and buy stuff.
From the grocery store to buying clothes.

So instead of going to the store,i buy everything online.
And not just buying it,but buying on credit.
Everything from shoes,clothes,to TV's.

It became so easy I got addicted to it.
By that time i never left my home and was basically a hermit.

Eventually i ranked up a debt of 20000 euro's over 15 years.
It completely consumed me that i eventually couldn't pay my rent and bills and had to live with my mom who never knew i had this much debt.
The interest payments took 75% of my paycheck

I tried to go to stores but i would get panic attacks almost immediately.
I would also get anxious about becoming anxious that i eventually became anxious so a would always turn around and go home where i was save.
So i never even made it to the store.
So i had to go online and get my stuff on credit.

To cut a long story short i woke up and started to pay of my debts.
I'm now from approx 20000 4years ago to 4500 now and i hope to pay everything of by next year

I blame my debt mostly on my anxiety.
If i was not afraid to go to stores and had a good paying job(which i had)
I could just buy what i need and could afford.

Anybody can relate to this??

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I do a lot of emotional overspending, but have the financial resources to cover it unless we go into another Great Depression. I will see something online that I want and I'll buy it, it could be books or DVDs or novelty items on eBay. I'm like an over-grown kid in a candy store. Accumulating stuff takes precendence over accumulating friends, since I'm not doing a very good job when it comes to "peopling" my life.

I can go to the grocery store and places like Walmart just fine, even though my anxiety is triggered a bit by crowds and how they make me feel like I'm not the center of the universe, just my universe. And when I see couples and families in public I can get a bit jealous.

I want top get to where I fully utilize whatever I buy before getting something else, instead of letting things accumulate dust in the attic, like exercise equipment and telescopes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is one of the reasons why I hesitate to get a credit card or use it. I'm afraid to get too comfortable with it and not be willing to go out and shop anymore. That, and the debt. Congrats on catching up with it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
i do overspend sometimes, but i NEVER ever dip into my savings to do it. I let myself do whatever the hell i want with the rest, blow it and regret my spending choices but i leave a "safety net" in my account at all times.

·
Panicky antisocial guy
52 Posts
I got into debt in a different way. So I can sympathize somewhat.

Mine is all about school loans. I went to a private school for two years where I failed (socially and academically(aka laziness)). Came back home with anxiety and depression issues and have not been able to find and keep a job all while continuously being bill for my loans. Which I have no way of paying, so they just keep stacking up and adding to my anxiety.

But I only splurged on buying weed and alcohol, not online spending. That honestly just sounds like irresponsibility(not trying to insult)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts