Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Excelsior
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if others feel this way.
I personally do not, my family is probably the only people who have seen the true me and I feel completely open around them.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I do. With my mother I can talk to her but I can't express affection to her, or anyone in my family. She's the only family member I'm able to talk to.

·
Such is life
554 Posts
I can't talk to anyone in my family that well except my mom and brother. I have no idea why. I've barely said two words to my aunt and uncle.I feel that's very sad and weird, mostly sad. The only people I can be myself around is my mom, brother, and boyfriend. I hope that's not too weird.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Around my mother, sister, and brother, I do not.
I have anxiety around my father, who I do not live with. But that is probably for many reasons besides SA.

I have anxiety around all my aunts and uncles and most of my cousins.

·
Straight Edge Soldier
52 Posts
I'm completely comfortable around my dad and mom, but I do show signs of it with everyone else. Hate it cause they use to get the vibe I didn't like them and would express concern with my parents about it. If I was around them more it probably would have been better but I saw family for Christmas and that was it. The very concept of a once-a-year get-together got me anxious to begin with.

·
Registered
Unbreakable
3,462 Posts
I don't have anxiety around my family, at least not in most situations. However my dad used to really never trust me and this is in part why I often forget to swallow or even blink if I feel I'm being put on the spot. He used to make me feel everything I did deserved an explanation and that somehow I was guilty and I had to proved him otherwise;

hence, I would come from school and maybe we would talk and perhaps I mentioned that today I didn't get home right away because I had something to do with my friends. For him it would never be this simple, he used get really serious and menacing and also to start interrogating me and making me feel like a liar and guilty of something that really was nothing to feel guilty about (I literally was not doing anything wrong).

Now that i'm older I never really get anxious but, some times if I think i'm being put on the spot by my parents I can get a bit OCD and forget to breath/swallow maybe even blink, but just slightly; I have lost a lot of respect for them so I don't exactly care anymore.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Not as bad as it used to be, but it's kind of different. Most of my male cousins are older than me so we didn't grow up at the same time. When I was a kid, most of them were already adults... so I never really talked to them growing up but now I'm able to have fun with them :)

I'm definitely a lot closer to my cousins that are around my age because we always hung out together. We grew up together so at their core, I can still feel they're the same person despite the changes they go through, and for me that's what makes me feel at home when I'm around them.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
I live with my parents so I don't feel a great deal of SA around them, but yes, even with them I do. For example if I have to ask them to do something for me, I just dread it, having to burden them like that, and I agonize over how they might react. There's a lot I don't share with them. (People on this forum probably know more about me than they do.) I rarely even make eye contact with them.

The rest of the members of my extended family (I include my brother since he moved away and has his own family now, and I was never close to him) are just about the same as strangers to me, thus I feel the same amount of anxiety as I would with strangers. Most of them are very outgoing and extroverted.

·
Lonely Ghost
172 Posts
I feel comfortable around my mom and sister since I am very close to them... but I tend to feel anxious and awkward around the rest of my family members, expecially my older loud-mouthed cousins.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Oh yeah. My family always makes me nervous. They're so critical of everything I say.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't around close family members but when my extended family gets together, (X-mas, Thanksgiving, Easter, major birthdays, etc) I get really anxious, even worse than being in a crowded place full of strangers. I think its because I know I'll have to talk to all of them at some point. I think I also hate the excessive compliments and pity they give.

·
i'm only sleeping
91 Posts
I don't around close family members but when my extended family gets together, (X-mas, Thanksgiving, Easter, major birthdays, etc) I get really anxious, even worse than being in a crowded place full of strangers. I think its because I know I'll have to talk to all of them at some point. I think I also hate the excessive compliments and pity they give.
^^
especially with my cousins. my mom is one of my closest confidants, however.

·
Banned
16,644 Posts
I get it around my stepmother. She thinks I hate her because I don't talk to her much. She just makes me feel extremely judged. I know she can't stand me and I have no idea why. ( I actually do hate her, with a passion ).

·
Very Quiet
2,934 Posts
I never did until I moved out. When I come to visit I feel like I do when I'm with strangers. Very fustrating its almost like if I didn't see them everyday I would be nervous around them..strange

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I immediately feel anxious around my dad and his side of the family. Not with my cousins though, except for the males and they're all children! It's ridiculous.

I hate it when my dad's around and he's always around. Sometimes when I get hungry or thirsty I would just deal with it and wait until he goes to his room or outside then I'll go out and grab something quickly and race back to my room so I can avoid running into him.

·
hmm.
334 Posts
I've started to open up alot more about my problems, and i feel alot better now that i know i have their support.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I act like myself around my immediate family, but with my uncles and aunts I don't, I'm quiet and shy and only talk a little. My SA has gotten so bad I can't tell my parents I love them because I'm to self conscious to say it without feeling weird, even though its not weird.

·
Barely Living
133 Posts
I'm not comfortable talking with anyone in my family. If feel like I don't get very much support but at least no one says anything bad (well except my mother and my father rarely).

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm too nervous to open up to any of them. So I don't really talk much with any of my family besides mom and dad , pretty sad and pathetic right? Damn.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts