Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm talking about with immediate family here, close family. Does anyone else get SA even around them sometimes?

I'm usually quite comfortable just talking to them one-on-one (about most things) but in "family" situations i get anxious and uncomfortable sometimes so i usually just try and avoid them. My mum complains that i spend too much time up here in my bedroom alone and although a part of me knows she's probably right, i hate activites like watching tv with them because we don't tend to watch the same type of stuff and i always avoid having to choose what we watch because i get paranoid they'll think what i like is stupid/boring. For these reasons i much prefer watching tv on my own unless i know it's something we both like. My room is like my sanctuary, the one place where i can totally relax and be myself, but even in here i find myself hiding things from my family - if i see one of them coming into my room and i'm watching tv/a dvd (or if they are within hearing distance of what i'm watching) i usually quickly change the channel or lower/mute it; when i'm online on my laptop i'll often minimize windows when i'm out of the room in case they happen to see what site i'm on (they're both pretty PC illiterate).

These are only a couple of examples, there are plenty more but i'm too tired to think of them right now.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i don't really get anxiety when around immediate family members, but i do get slightly anxious around extended family such as aunts and uncles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I understand how you feel. I don't like my family nosying around in my business either. Mostly when I am home I like to do solitary things like reading, browsing the web, gardening, that kind of stuff. But I am really anxious around family gatherings; and these people I've known all my life such as first cousins, aunts, uncles... I endure these outings, but I usually leave feeling bad about myself...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm comfortable around parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts/uncles, first cousins, but everyone else terrifies me. At extended family reunions you can find me hiding in a small room somewhere. I only speak to them when spoken to.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i know exactly what you mean. i only play my music and stuff loud enough so that i can hear it because they might not like it etc. i am usually ok with immediate family unless it comes to like personal talk. i never really like talked to my family like i never sat down and talked about my day and whats going on in school and stuff like that. my sister could ask if she could have a beer with no problem but the answer is always no...i could never picture asking my mom something like that.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think you'll feel anxious around anyone you feel a bit unsafe with. Since you're afraid of being criticized or found lacking by your parents, it makes sense you try to avoid risking exposure, since that might hurt.

My parents were divorced when I was 4, and I lived after that with my mom and brothers, and visited my Dad's house every other Sunday...and I grew up afraid of my dad. I still don't know exactly why, but I was afraid to go for the visits, afraid going to school...all I know now is that there was some abuse in my dad's family, so I assume that's what was creating difficulty for me.

I think it's anyone you don't feel safe around, and usually there's a reason why you feel that way. Or else you're anticipating being hurt like you have been by some other person.

I think if you're HSP (highly sensitive person) you allow yourself more time alone, and risk sharing with others on a more limited basis. And when it feels bad, you should limit it. And accept that you like more quiet activities than most people...

hsperson.com : )

·
giggling ******
11,070 Posts
Yes, I too do.

I'm nervous around bro, parents, and uncles, and cousins, and etc.

I can't even ****ing curse if front of family.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yay. Other people.

Sometimes my words get stuck around them. That's realy scary and frustrating because i dont want to be a hermit. Also i generaly can't be around them for too long (probably just introversion).

One thing is, though, that the longer i am in a common room like the living room etc., the more anxious i get. I can't do homework unless i'm alone. Not even stuff on the computer (which is, unfortunately, in the lvining room).

I also get a little freaked out sometimes when my siblings talk to me one-on-one, i think "i can't believe i'm talking to them. they are looking at me and i am talking to them".

yeeeahp.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oh god, that's just my immediate family. I'm ****ing nervous as hell around extendeds. I had to go to a fam reunion last year (SA wouldn't let me say no to my dad) and it was hell. I had to hug a bunch of people i didnt know and sit in a tiny room with them for 2 hours. :( And even seeing my grandparents is awkward. I think it's becasue i can't leave (without looking like a wacko). I dread trips to see them because i always end up going alone (my siblings=selfish. grr.)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Anyone outside my immediate family and old friends I get nervous around.

·
Daydreaming
586 Posts
I like to be alone most of the time. I don't like walking into a room with a few people already there, mostly the living room when people are watching tv. I also always make sure everywhere is clear enough for me to walk around, so I don't run into anyone. I hate walking up and down the stairs, if I know someone will follow. I worry about laughing for no reason...sometimes I get stuck in the bathroom or another room, because I don't want to go by a person yet...I can get tense. Sometimes I don't really like people watching or waiting for me for something, like if I were on the computer. SA around my family is different than around others though. I mostly feel comfortable, if everything is how I like it and I can be alone a lot. Some days aren't that good, other days are just fine. I live with my sis (19 yrs) my mom, and 4 uncles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I kind of have it around family members, not much but some. I can look at them and whatnot, its just when they bring there friends around that I dont know to well. =S

Just try to relax, know that they are family, and love you regardless. =)

·
Banned
728 Posts
Citizen, I could have written the same thing myself. I relate with everything you said.

I feel very anxious around immediate family. With my friends there is no anxiety, I can be myself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts