Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Fall 7 times, stand up 8.
8,916 Posts
I'll be sitting in class and all I can think about is how nervous I feel. My hands get clammy and my heart races. Someone walking around the room or opening the door causes me to jump or twitch. When there is free time in class, I'm too nervous to open a book or even move my body really. It's pretty awful.
I feel panicky inside when walking down the halls with all those people.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have missed 45 days of school this year. I miss a lot every year, but it hasn't been this bad since 3rd grade. I've always had really good grades, but these last several months I've just stopped caring.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'll be sitting in class and all I can think about is how nervous I feel. My hands get clammy and my heart races. Someone walking around the room or opening the door causes me to jump or twitch. When there is free time in class, I'm too nervous to open a book or even move my body really. It's pretty awful.
I feel panicky inside when walking down the halls with all those people.
Thats how I felt. I finally convinced my dad to let me do home study

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
it was actually a really good combination, take out the 9th grade hell and you basically have a problem free/friendless/uninterrupted life where the only major event happening is your school work, I ended up being on the top 10 senior list. I guess simply being in a populated environment wasn't enough to scare me, just when people started talking about you, which was infrequent in high school.

·
Registered
93 Posts
So far in highschool i totally hate it. Will be a junior next year btw. Just everyone annoys me and everyone trys so hard to fit in. They try to fit in with jocks that everyone hates almost as much as they envy. While some of the nicest people I know have no friends and everyone takes advantage of them. SO i hate it, and i hate most teens aswell. Not too anxious there tho.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have missed 45 days of school this year. I miss a lot every year, but it hasn't been this bad since 3rd grade. I've always had really good grades, but these last several months I've just stopped caring.
This is me. it's my last year and my lower than usual marks are going to screw me over. I found in grade 10 and 12 my apathy was the worst. SA makes me miss class, and not be able to ask for what i have missed, and depression makes me hate myself for it and not care that I don't do my work.

·
Sarah
130 Posts
I hate school! I don't fit in and i feel paranoid of people looking at me so i avoid eye contact at all costs. Most teachers complain that i don't participate in class even though i have no one to talk to anyways. We have to wear a uniform but occasionaly they have none school uniform days, i don't go on those days, i just can't deal with the way everyone scrutinizes and judges you even more than normal!! : (

·
Registered
25 Posts
It affects it in a big way, and i'm proof of that. [unfortunately]. I'm 19 and i don't have a high school diploma because i dropped out at 16. School was the worst thing ever. I felt like EVERYONE was staring at me, i never raised my hand, never asked anyone for help, i didn't have anybody to call a friend because i couldn't just reach out to people....i was scared stiff to talk to anyone. Oral reports in front of the class? forget that, i would rather eat bugs. I could not take feeling like everyone was watching me and talking about me, judging my every move or word, i didn't want to talk to teachers or talk to anyone. Speech class was coming up one semester and i knew i couldn't bare to go through that. I dropped out, and it's sad, i wish i could take it back but that would have caused me deadly amounts of anxiety which i can't handle. I just can't handle being that close to people all day, and it affects me now because i'm afraid to get a job.

·
Sitting on a sunbeam
137 Posts
I love school with the burning passion of a thousand suns. Its the only social situation I feel even just slightly comfortable in. I'm not completely sure why... I don't ask questions/raise my hand etc, but I enjoy meeting people. Watching them speak, move, interact, it's fascinating! And being accepted is the most rewarding feeling in the world.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Made me a loner in most of high school. Well, not a complete loner, but my group of friends were pretty low on the "social ladder" of high school. It was pretty depressing since most of them didn't like hanging outside of school. Just lame. High school has been a long series of years made up of pure BOREDOM. And depression. Only directly invited to 1 party the whole 5 years of high school (took an extra year b/c of drugs/depression).

I truly hope college is much better next year... If not, I don't know if i can go on like this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Made me a loner in most of high school. Well, not a complete loner, but my group of friends were pretty low on the "social ladder" of high school. It was pretty depressing since most of them didn't like hanging outside of school. Just lame. High school has been a long series of years made up of pure BOREDOM. And depression. Only directly invited to 1 party the whole 5 years of high school (took an extra year b/c of drugs/depression).

I truly hope college is much better next year... If not, I don't know if i can go on like this.
I never graduated, I wasn't a loner a had a lot of friends, The main ones where prob 4 but they where friends of mines since Jr HS, All other friends besides them i made through them, I can't think of a friend i made on my own pass 5th grade? My Friends Graduated early and didn't have to spend a full day so Basically i left 2 Classes into my day which in NY is about 10 am. Just so i wouldn't have to walk home alone. I tried night school thinking it would be better but couldn't handle it on my own. so eventually i dropped out and hear i am at 22 struggling i am not stupid by no means but am horrified of going into a classroom to take my GED and run into someone i know, and have the instructors or anyone there think how stupid i am for not graduating HS.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
School doesn't make me nervous. I get good grades and can talk and function fine. My school is SO cliquey though. Even when I make an effort to talk to people, I am treated like I am invisible. Everyone at my school has their little groups of friends and are not interested in making any more. I am SO glad there are other places to make friends besides school.

·
Registered
18 Posts
School is hell. Regardless of the numberous attempts, I cannot prevent myself from despising and loathing my fellow students.

My lungs are in control of forces unknown, I shiver... Nearly everything described above sounds more or less familiar.

Any straight A students?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.