Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Self Titled Geek
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is probably another thread out there about this that I haven't found, but I thought I'd post one anyways. :D

I have found over the years that by having a pet, in my case my golden retriever, has helped me with my anxiety. Jake, who is now 9, has helped me through a ton of rough patches; simply because animals do not judge or discriminate. By caring for him, and feeling comfortable, it opens up a form of interaction-- although not on a face to face 'human level'.

Going for walks with him gives me a reason to go out. Normally if I was home alone I would probably opt to watch some TV or read. But by having an animal in your care responsibility kicks in, and at least for me, works as a way of motivation and relaxation.

Also animals are very sensitive to emotion and feeling and can tell when you are stressed out or worried. Jake will come up and sit next to me when this happens, and it helps me to recognize what I'm doing, and that I need to re-evaluate my thoughts.

Anyone else find having a dog or cat, or any other type of animal around help?

(My family also owns a horse, and riding is also very theraputic. :) )

·
Registered
117 Posts
Honestly, I think having a cat might make it worse since cats basically have SA themselves, especially if you actually adopt their lifestyle of sleeping all day and being generally worthless like I have.

I'd probably be more depressed without my cat though.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
We had multiple animals my whole life up until the end of 2009. Our last dog and cat died 6 hours apart from each other. This cat was the best cat ever. He would jump on your lap and hug you around the neck.

I was miserable without them around. A new stray cat found its way to us I think in March of 2010. She is playful but she doesn't hug :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts