Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of us who suffer from inferiority complexes and automatic negative thought cycles, what do you do about it? Tapes and cds? Therapy? Crying on a friend's shoulder?

I have been out of therapy for a while and slowing adjusting to having friends in college and actually making efforts to keep them and not scare them away. But when I hear about their accomplishments I feel very inferior and that triggers negative thought cycles which drive me to be quiet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I suffer alone and in silence when I'm not here... Glad you've made some friends. I've got the same problem as you and my inferiority and other factors prevent me from trying very hard to be social.

·
All Kinds of Awesome
1,418 Posts
thought therapy

I experience the same problem every once in a while. It's really hard at school sometimes becasue everything is competitive and I always look at all the bad aspects of my personality and ideas before the good ones. Constant pessimissm I beleive is intertwined with Social Anxiety and you have to start to think outside of what you may think naturally. This is what a lot of people refer to as "cognitive behaviorial therapy"-- You have to replace negitive thoughts with more positive realstic ones. For example are person looks at you funny--you think: he/she thinks I am ugly. A more realistic thought--he/she may not even be looking at you. If this sounds familar, whatever, but this really has been the best adivce I have heard from other and i continue to use it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine is kind of acting up now. Since I only have 2 friends that I actually keep in contact with from when I was younger, they are my social life. Now one's acting weird. It may be my imagination but what ever and the other's too busy with her big social life to even call me. Also the first one that i said is acting weird, it does not help when she has the highest average or second highest in the whole grade. -_-;; Happy for her but does not make me feel good especially when she says "I dont try as hard as her"

Hmm..what do I do..well I've been staying home and on my computer all day long just thinking. Without my two friends to go places I have to either rely on my parents because I'm only 16 and they're so overprotective. So i'm sitting here for days and just thinking.

Glad you have made some friends though. ^^.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Joeb,

I kind of think of this way. I have been through a lot of stuff, stuff they wouldn't know about, much less understand. I then look at my own accomplishments. When I get down to it, I think I did pretty well for myself.

You just have to put a different spin on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts