Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My experience with drinking in relation to my SA has been this-

when buzzed- I usually feel happy and am much more sociable than normal. I can even take the lead in big group conversations! At this stage, :)

when drunk-I get more assertive, even aggressive, than I normally am (I am normally very conciliatory). I'll do risky things I normally wouldn't. I may not be as talkative as when buzzed, but when I have something to say it is heard (I tend to be quiet when sober). I have mixed feelings about this stage- :|

when wasted- I'm even more quiet than usual, just totally withdrawn into my own mind. I feel stupid, and a lot of the time I think about my SA and feel very disconnected from other people, like I spend most of my time on a different wavelength and there is something wrong with my brain. It's almost impossible to have a conversation at this stage. This stage is just a steaming, hot fudge depression with paranoid self-doubt sprinkles on top :sus

What have your experiences been?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Tipsy - Pretty much the same as normal.

Drunk - Chatty, confident, flirty, like dancing. Still pretty much in control of myself, just without the SA.

Wasted - Ill, don't go there.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I never get totally drunk/wasted, but I do find that drinking makes me a bit less self conscious of what Im saying/doing than usual - and I like it. Which is probably a bad thing to admit lol. But yeah, a couple shots of something strong and Im very happy and chatty and I'll say things I normally wouldnt..maybe Im more open, which is something I struggle with on my own normally.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Tipsy - Pretty much the same as normal.

Drunk - Chatty, confident, flirty, like dancing. Still pretty much in control of myself, just without the SA.

Wasted - Ill, don't go there.
That's how I am, though I can never get "tipsy", I don't feel satisfied with it so I never know my limit. That's why I rarely drink. Enough is never enough. I always spend the whole night trying to be happy.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I'm tipsy after a few drinks, drunk after a few more. If I start feeling sick, then that's when I stop drinking or I'll end up being ill.

Four pints used to be my limit but it's probably less now I hardly ever drink.

·
Registered
27 Posts
bad idea... it was a godsend at the start, made me outgoing, able to talk to people all the rest of it... then it caught up with me and now its not an option in my life at all... now i have seen that drink only gives the illusion of giving confidence, at least thats how its ended up, im much more confident without it but theres an illusion there that it makes you more fun to be around or more confident when for me now the truth of it is that all it does is cause problems and make me more paranoid/anxious alongside it

·
Registered
174 Posts
When I'm drunk, I'm loud and confident, dance on tables, I got banned from one bar. I'm a nightmare. I'm the total opposite to when I'm sober. When I'm tipsy, I'm just funny and tend to make people laugh.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It makes me more sociable the more I drink; I'm always conciliatory and obsequious. But, it does impede my judgment and thinking some. Basically, I find it really useful to get through situations that I find socially difficult but technically easy.. if I just have to go somewhere and not do much, or do something trivially easy, I might get buzzed. If I have to go to some sort of party or extended family event where people are going to come up and talk to me constantly, I might get pretty drunk. I only really get wasted when I'm alone and depressed, and even then, it's pretty rare.

Drinking definitely makes me more social and makes my thinking more muddled though. Some people in my family always try to get me drunk because they know otherwise I just won't say anything (not that it's making me an alcoholic or anything.. I'm pretty good at avoiding events altogether, so most of the time I don't need to drink)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Dont judge me on what I drink. I used to drink vodka henny and all that other good stuff. But those bottles are expensive and its like a damn bill. Now I just drink Four Loko's. PLEASE DONT TELL ME HOW DANGEROUS THEY ARE. I know my research all about them. Even its nutrition facts.

Anyways comparing to one can. I feel pretty nice. I think maybe ive been drinking for awhile that I dont get the same results anymore. I used to be loud and just sort of controlling (but in a good way and never for the worst) guy. Like I had ALOT of pride to back up. Now I can get buzzed and be quiet. It pisses me off but hey what am I going to do.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
If I start feeling sick, then that's when I stop drinking...
I've never felt sick while drinking, so I don't have that cue to rely upon. I just know from experience to stop at a certain point otherwise I'll feel sick when I wake up later.

There are only a handful of times I've consumed alcohol in any type of social situation.

Drinking late at night to drown my anxiety is the standard. I make sure there is always a box of wine in the fridge & a mug in the freezer. Yes, classy box wine is consumed from a coffee cup -- from the freezer as I like beverages to be very cold.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i dont drink often in fact since i got my cdl last year i dont drink anything if i know i have to drive so i drink even less now.
last week i did drink and i ended up just going for a walk to be alone. and then i came back and went to sleep. before that i dont remember the last time i drank anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
drinking is my biggest problem. I also think its what i drink aswell i used to buy a bottle of vodka for the night and i would always end up drinking the whole thing it's like i just don't know when to stop, i start off being happy and funny and can talk to people and i feel great and am having a great time then the more i drink the louder and annoyinger i get i say things i probably shouldn't and don't think before i speak and the next day i can't remember the whole night like i can rember where i am n who's there and talking to people but i can't remember exactly what i say so for days after i just reply conversations regretting even going out and thinking people think i'm an annoying idiot. It's the same when i drink wine, i have learnt if i just drink premixed cans or bottled vodka i am usually pretty good and don't say or do anything stupid and remember everything and don't regret everything. It's just hard to do that as premixes are more expensive than bottles of vodka and if i am out at the pub people by my shots and stuff and is i say no or don't drink them i feel they are going to think less of me and yeah..

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
When I start drinking I feel disconnected with reality. I am being extremely social, flirty and happy but it's not me doing it. It's like watching a movie from a first person perspective. I am doing all of these things but I am not in control. Hard to explain.

·
Potato
1,002 Posts
When I start drinking I feel disconnected with reality. I am being extremely social, flirty and happy but it's not me doing it. It's like watching a movie from a first person perspective. I am doing all of these things but I am not in control. Hard to explain.
This is very interesting.. because I am the complete opposite. When I drink my true self is allowed to come out. I can say things I've always wanted to say, and act goofy like I really am. I guess it's different for everybody though. My SA goes down to zero and I feel.. free.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Buzzed: feel good Confident, talkative.

Drunk: Even more confident, talkitive, and am in total control love this stage I feel what people consider "normal"

Wasted: when im having to much fun and take it over the top. or when im extremely depressed and just want to black out this is my danger stage.

I drink on a regular basis so that i can try and cope with this disorder im just buzzed most of the time. i have seen a psychiatrist to no avail kept prescribing things that didnt help or made my condition worse. I am on a road to recovery no as i look for a new md and get over the fear of actually going to the doctors office. I hope this forum can help as a tool of behavioral therapy of sorts This condition sucks :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I find it interesting that different people can have such different reactions to the same drug, even when they all have SA. I feel like drinking is a double-edged sword, if I am responsible about it then I can have a great time and it is very liberating socially, but too much of a good thing and it has the complete opposite effect. Unfortunately responsibility usually goes down the less rational you become which starts with the first few drinks, so it's important for me to cut myself off at the right point.

·
infinite silence
350 Posts
This is very interesting.. because I am the complete opposite. When I drink my true self is allowed to come out. I can say things I've always wanted to say, and act goofy like I really am. I guess it's different for everybody though. My SA goes down to zero and I feel.. free.
That is how I would describe it to… like I am finally free I start to come into my own person I am let out of myself and the demon of anxiety leaves my body completely. I start actually wanting to communicate and be around people, music sounds better, conversation seems more interesting I feel for lack of a better word ..happy. But everything that comes out isn't completely true just like everything isn't completely true when you're in a terrible mood and can't stand anyone. It's like an exaggerated version because everything's better than it used to be. People that I didn't find attractive before seem more attractive after the fact and I can even fall in love with someone that I don't actually like that much in a matter of an hour lol.

Then I wake up with a throbbing headache and completely embarrassed to my very core lol. I have a long list of regrets over alcohol fuelled performances. But it's interesting the lengths people will go just to feel happy temporarily.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Buzzed - I'm more talkative
Drunk - I'm loud and I'll do things I usually don't do when I'm sober. Like talk to people I've never talked to before. Or dance.
Wasted - When something is bugging me, I'm either sad or mad. I'll punch things sometimes. I remember I was talking crap to this one girl for no reason. Pretty much I act stupid when I've had too much to drink.

That is why I no longer drink. Just a few beers and that's it. Liquor makes me :eyes lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts