Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you say you have SA on job applications? I wouldn't if I were you. I'd wait until I was hired and then, after the requiste 30 days on the job, I would inform an HR officer. It's really none of their business.

·
Registered
994 Posts
How many interviewers know what SA is (DD, don't even think it....)......I'm not trying to be negative, because I'm typcailly the opposite, trying to explain something like this.........If the job involves working with people, how would they accomodate us..........If we don't believe in ourselves, how do we convince someone else too.....

·
Registered
490 Posts
When you read job listings they always use words describing extraverted traits like outgoing, assetive, good communication skills, leadership, and iniative even for jobs where you're not in a leadership position or dealing with people that much. I really don't get it. It seems to me that an office full of introverted people would be more efficient. Introverted people are hard-working and self-motivated. We don't complain about stuff. We don't stand around yakking constantly. I mean you go to work to actually WORK, not to socialize so why do they make such a big deal about social skills? Why can't employers get it through their heads that you don't have to be a jovial, back-slapping, constantly blabbing your mouth off extravert to have skills that could be utilized by the company.

Then these extraverted people have to nerve to ridicule us for not working for long periods of time or having to take jobs that are below what we should have for our education level. Yeah, it was easy for them to get jobs. They don't have a clue. Its completely ****ed up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You have to read between the lines on job applications. What they really mean is, "is this person going work well with everyone else here at this particular company?"

There's nothing that just because you have SA means that you won't be able to sit on committees and report abot your work. If it's in customer service, you can guaranteed outgoing is important. I think what most employers want is some who is efficient and just friendly. You don't have to be everyone's best friend :). I know some real jerks who hang on to their jobs!

Also keep in mind that you could tailor your applications to your strengths ("Works extremely with minimal supervision") and ("Extremely Self Motivated") and ("Takes Direction well and accomplishes goals by deadline with minimal supervision.").

There are also ways to work on teams and be quiet. you just try to avoid speaking until someone asks you a speciifc question :D. And if you have to give a presenation, you pretend everyone is in their underwear, or take a half a xanax a few minutes beforehand :).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts