Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to be a psychiatrist-- probably specializing in PTSD-- even though i will have to have a lot of contact with strangers, because i want to help others with mental health problems get better.

for people with SA who do not currently have a set career path, what do you want to do, and how will your SA affect it?

for those of you who are already involved in a career, what is it? how do you get through the day?

·
Registered
35 Posts
for me, working in jewelry sales is not that bad, because for some reason i don't feel as uncomfortable. i think it's because i'm somewhat in control of the conversation. if i start to feel unsure of what to say, i can always talk about the merchandise.

sales is a job with a lot of contact with strangers. but because i have a "script" to work with, in case i don't know what to say, it gives me a safety net in conversations with customers.

i would think about which social situations trigger your SA. for me, big groups are difficult. one-on-one situations are a little easier. also, in a counselling situation, people are coming to you for help. they will be seeking your advice. this puts you in a place of being invited to speak. for me, that's always easier than when i have to speak uninvited.

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's odd to me that you're choosing a career that currently causes you anxiety. i used to picture myself doing jobs that required confidence and people skills, but i knew i would have to actually have confidence and people skills first, and i can't even imagine what i would be like then.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I graduated with an A.S. in Liberal Arts: Science. Some things I am considering being are an actor, singer in a band, writer, comic book writer, comic book artist, director, screenwriter, comedian, late night talk show host, inventor, President of the United States, ruler of Earth, ruler of the galaxy, superhero, doctor, detective and probably many more things I can't think of right now. I also intend to study genetic engineering on my own.

My SA is less of a factor in stopping me from doing these things than my Separation Anxiety Disorder toward my pets which prevents me from leaving home for too long or going to far from it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have always wanted to be a nurse. However, while I don't think the job itself will be the problem, school was. I had to drop out and I went through a very traumatic time because of it. I am not sure I could ever handle that again.

It makes me sad because now I have no idea what to do. I literally don't see any real life ahead of me and I wonder what that means for me.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
Seriously, my two biggest dreams in life are to be a writer of anything having to do with history and being a college history professor. The first one, my SA probably wouldn't get in the way too much, seeing as writing is a pretty solitary process and career. The professor might be hard, seeing as the moment I step in front of a group of people I tend to freeze up.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I don't want a career as I don't agree with it for women, so i'm really happy with being a housewife, it's my dream come true :) The only problem is my SA :\

·
slanted and disenchanted
321 Posts
i want to be a librarian. although certain aspects of that job do require a bit of customer service, i want to get into the archiving side b/c i am more of a 'behind the scenes' kind of gal. i might even look into art archiving so that i can work in a museum or something of that nature.

right now, i'm a personal assistant, so i basically work w/ one person all day and am generally left alone to do my various tasks. so no real SA conflict there, except when i have to phone someone!

i used to want to go into counseling/psychiatry, like you. that's what i initially went to school for, and most of the classes are very interesting. i wish you the best, and think its great that you want to help others!

·
I like to shoot jumpshots
291 Posts
I have/had some crazy dreams for careers.

I wanted to become a pro basketball player in the NBA. Obviously I couldn't because I am not in the 99 percentile of talent. But more importantly, I wasn't fit to be even play a team sport which is best suited for extroverted.

Becoming an actor, ping pong player, judo athlete, among other professions were desires I half hearted sought but no talent.

My desire right now is to become involved in the health care field. RN, PTA, or radiologist assistant are on my list of goals.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Being a housewife used to be one of my dreams, but you can't be a housewife without having a husband and children. At the rate I'm going, that will never happen.
Don't be so hard on yourself, i'm sure it will happen, you're a lovely person :)

i hope that when i'm an adult i can find a balance between mother and working woman.
Each to their own!

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
oh ok, Good luck then.

I don't have a career yet but I am interested in surgery. KNowing how much emphasis is placed on extroversion in selecting surgery residents, I don't know if it is possible for me but that's the goal for now.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I already have a career path...kind of. I'm currently a computer support tech. I'd like to either end up doing system administration or development of some sort.

Unfortunately, at my current job level dealing with all sorts of people is unavoidable. How do I get through the day? Sometimes the amount of stupidity from our Help-Desk makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a spork. Other than that I usually make it through the day fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.