Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy was practically following me around at a party I went to recently, which kind of freaked me out because I hardly ever get attention from guys. I found it a bit uncomfortable and tried avoiding him but he didn’t get the hint. He tried talking with me and I’m sure he must have sensed my awkwardness. He was alright looking, but I didn’t like how upfront he was.

Now he’s added me on facebook and messenger although I haven’t accepted him yet, and sent an email. I’m scared to talk to him, literally it makes me start shaking with the thought… I’m scared that he’ll want to meet up again as I would just turn him down because of SA. I feel like just ignoring him but I’d feel mean doing that. then again I wouldn’t know how to phrase that I’m not interested in him without sounding harsh... any advice?

(I’m not new to the site by the way, just have a new account)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Sounds like he is being kind of a creep. If your not interested try to show him by keeping your distance.

·
Got nothin to loseeee but
58 Posts
Just try to ignore him. He will probably get the hint eventually.

If he continues, just be blunt. He seems confidant enough that it shouldn't rattle him that much.

Your own comfort first, being nice to random guys second.

·
Registered
558 Posts
You could e-mail him and bring up your current boyfriend (whether or not you have one-you didn't say--but regardless) and he will get the message no? Nothing to burst someone's bubble like the mention of a significant other...or an STD :p..kidding.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree with what was said before, that doesn't seem like normal behavior from someone you just met at a party.

I like the saying, "even paranoids have enemies." Just because you have SA doesn't mean that all your panicky reactions to people are unfounded, that they are all due to SA. It is possible that you've picked up on something weird about this guy on a subconscious level that you just can't put into words.

It sounds awful, but I would go with the fake boyfriend approach. Still be friendly, but say you don't want to date anyone else, and you could communicate with him online when you felt like it. If he turned out not to be a creepster, you could always break up with the boyfriend. You may want to take the precaution of making your contact info etc invisible to him before adding him on Facebook.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
^ Yes, be straight up. Say, "I'm not interested". And that's it. It may feel like you're being cruel, but it's actually the kindest thing to do.
L

1 - 8 of 8 Posts