Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
FAILURE
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been appearing for the last weeks at first I didn't mind it because it wasn't doing anything overtly anyway but recently I noticed my system taking more and more time processing multiple programs, like launching chrome for example.

I searched the net apparently rundll is in charge of managing multiple programs that are simultaneously running in windows. I spent all last night trying to fix this problem but nothing really works. I have tried finding its duplicate in dllcache folder but nope, chuck testa (bad joke) no dllcashe folder dxist in Windows 7 home basic, I tried to look for a copy in the i30 something folder but nope it also doesn't exist in Windows 7 home basic, I tried looking for a download of the file in the net but no I just go into sites that either A)makes you download a LOT of stupid stuff saying you first need to DL the file before you can DL the rundll I did that but nope they just keep you hanging or B)redirect you to some site where they ask you to pay....yeah right. I found a site that might actually be able to fix this but sadly after an hour of installation and scanning in the end they make you first buy the software before it can do ****, great.

The only alternative that I have read that might fix the problem is to re-install windows... come one I'm going to go through that just for this? So here I am posting this, if anyone knows what I can do to fix this, short from re-installing windows or could be nice enough to let me dl a rundll32.exe from them, would be much obliged.

Thank you.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I think you have jumped a bit to conclusions about runddll32.exe. Althought it may be true that it helps "managing multiple programs", that is just shorthand to say that its existence may be necessary for multitasking, but hardly sufficient, since runddll32.exe basically provides a way for programs to execute DLL code. Multitasking is managed at kernel level, and it's hardly one single file's job.

Unfortunately, this seems like the case where I'd need to be physically there to feel the computer in order to do some proper troubleshooting. So, from this distance, OS reinstalling would seem to only advice I can give.

In the meantime, more info about your hardware? Also, when the computers slows down, have you ever tried opening the Task Manager to see if any programs are hogging resources? Have you checked for any unwanted programs at startup? Noticed if hard drive is behaving erratically (eg. always appears to be reading or active anyway)?. I also assume you have run an antivirus scan, just to be on the safe side.

·
FAILURE
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you have jumped a bit to conclusions about runddll32.exe. Althought it may be true that it helps "managing multiple programs", that is just shorthand to say that its existence may be necessary for multitasking, but hardly sufficient, since runddll32.exe basically provides a way for programs to execute DLL code. Multitasking is managed at kernel level, and it's hardly one single file's job.

Unfortunately, this seems like the case where I'd need to be physically there to feel the computer in order to do some proper troubleshooting. So, from this distance, OS reinstalling would seem to only advice I can give.

In the meantime, more info about your hardware? Also, when the computers slows down, have you ever tried opening the Task Manager to see if any programs are hogging resources? Have you checked for any unwanted programs at startup? Noticed if hard drive is behaving erratically (eg. always appears to be reading or active anyway)?. I also assume you have run an antivirus scan, just to be on the safe side.
Hmmm..... perhaps I have jumped into some hasty conclusions but as I said at first when the report popped up my system kept running smoothly it wasn't doing anything that I've noticed but recently when it does pop up or before on some occasions chrome (usually) stops working it just hangs saying it has to kill all the pages all of a sudden, I was only viewing google or SAS at the time.

Durn I was trying to avoid re-installing windows in the reason that, well, I actually don't know how to do it ehe. I bought this laptop with a windows pre-installed in it, I do not own a physical cd of the OS....

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M350 @ 2.27GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 4096 RAM
(copied straight from dxdiag)

I opened the task manager now and the thing that is hogging the resources is system idle process? its eating up like 70% of the CPU usage. anyway I have fixed my start up ages ago it only loads the bear essential (for a quick start) I don't believe the problem resides there. The hard drive does behave like that worse on some occasions, its like it keeps looking or running something in the background and on some occasions my systems has crashed because I didn't notice the exhaust couldn't keep up with the heat being produced.
I did run my Anti-Virus when It was going bad too like 4hrs, sadly it didn't find anything related to rundll32.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hmmm..... perhaps I have jumped into some hasty conclusions but as I said at first when the report popped up my system kept running smoothly it wasn't doing anything that I've noticed but recently when it does pop up or before on some occasions chrome (usually) stops working it just hangs saying it has to kill all the pages all of a sudden, I was only viewing google or SAS at the time.
Ah, I hadn't understood there was an error message involved. Some more details about the error message could be useful (eg the exact text), although I have a feeling I know exactly what you're talking about (something like "rundll32.exe has stopped working"?). As much as I love Windows, its error messages has always been less than useful. An error message about rundll32.exe may not necessarily mean there's anything wrong with the rundll32.exe file itself. Most probably it's the fault of the program that calls rundll32.exe to load its DLLs code in memory.

Durn I was trying to avoid re-installing windows in the reason that, well, I actually don't know how to do it ehe. I bought this laptop with a windows pre-installed in it, I do not own a physical cd of the OS....
I know how you feel, but it can do nothing but good to your computer. Personally, I do it periodically, about yearly or so. Just as a preemptive measure. It forces me to get in the mindset of always having a backup of everything, always knowing where my stuff is, and never be troubled in the least the rare times I get a virus. It's a whole other carefree living.

Recently laptop manufacturers have picked up the habit of not including CDs with their laptops. They give you the option of either burning your own CDs, or restoring from a hidden hard drive partition without having to use any CDs at all (usually both options are possible).

You should be able to burn the CDs from a preinstalled program. Look for something called [XYZ] System Restore, or [XYZ] Utilities or somesuch, where [XYZ] is the name of your laptop manufacturer. Eg. my Acer laptop has a System Utilities subsection in the "Acer Empowering Technology" program.

Alternatively, system restore through hard drive partition is achieved by pressing a key during startup (usually an F key). The key is usually specified by a message at the bottom of the screen during startup, usually together with the classic "Press Del to enter Setup" message.

These topics should be covered in more detail in the manual that came with your computer.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M350 @ 2.27GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 4096 RAM
(copied straight from dxdiag)

I opened the task manager now and the thing that is hogging the resources is system idle process? its eating up like 70% of the CPU usage. anyway I have fixed my start up ages ago it only loads the bear essential (for a quick start) I don't believe the problem resides there. The hard drive does behave like that worse on some occasions, its like it keeps looking or running something in the background and on some occasions my systems has crashed because I didn't notice the exhaust couldn't keep up with the heat being produced.
I did run my Anti-Virus when It was going bad too like 4hrs, sadly it didn't find anything related to rundll32.
Ah, the System Idle Process basically indicates how much the CPU is not loaded. In other words, it's the complementary to 100 of your CPU load. That means that your CPU load at all times is given by 100 minus the percentage of System Idle Process, or, which is the same thing, by the sum of the percentages of all the processes except the System Idle Process. If everything is working correctly, that is. More info here.
If the System Idle Process takes up 70% of the CPU at a certain moment, this means that the CPU load is about 30% at that same moment, which could be normal if there are some programs running, but it's not normal if the system is idling (ie. doing nothing or next-to-nothing). As I say in the other thread, if things add up you have a neat way to see which process is using the 30% (just sort the processes by CPU load, and check the ones that are not the System Idle Process). On the other hand overheating could be the problem if things don't add up (like I say in that other thread).

Try checking if the intake of the fan (usually under the computer) is clogged with dust. Some manufacturers (eg. Acer) allow you to remove a small subsection of the lower cover to allow you to clean the air intakes without having to open the whole thing up. Othewise just go at the intakes with a vacuum cleaner at a low speed from the outside, if you find a way to keep the fan still (eg. using a pin or unfolded paper clip) while going at it, it's better. Anyway, always do it when the computer is off. If the probem disappears once you've cleaned up your computer form dust, you may save yourself the trouble of restoring the OS.

To be honest, I've seen overheating causing computers to reset or shutdown, or their performance to degrade, but I've never seen it cause a software error like the "rundll32.exe has stopped working" one (although that doesn't exclude the possibility). So overheating may be a complication, but probably isn't the cause of the rundll32.exe error message.

·
FAILURE
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My computer actually crashed twice today the first time it just plain stopped then the blue screen of death appeared. A little later it semi stopped but I managed to take a screen shot before I had to restart it, and you're right those windows pop up things aren't any help at all.
here's the screen shot;

Hmm... I'll try making a back up cd right now, I'm pretty sure I don't have a back up in my hard drive. I'll read some more articles about the subject but I think I'll stave off restoring it for the meantime lol until I exhausted all my options because I got too many stuff to re-install if I do...

About the system Idle thing. oh? really? so its actually good thing, I've been blaming that thing for a long time lmao then I got nothing. I forgot to check the task manager when rundll error came up I was preoccupied in saving the screen shot. I tried looking at the fan but I'm afraid my laptop doesn't allow as much freedom as yours do, the fan on the bottom is just a small slit encased in main body of the laptop there are no screws, heck I can't even see anything in the slit let alone dust its the same with the exhaust, sigh. I'll try the vacuum cleaner and see if does any good. I'll also try reading from the other thread you mentioned I've actually never visited it lol

My laptop overheats rarely actually it only usually does when something is wrong with it, and when I crashed earlier this day my laptop was elevated to avoid overheating anyway I think its the other way around (not sure though) I believe the rundll might be the one that causes the overheating...

Hey, thanks for all the trouble :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
My computer actually crashed twice today the first time it just plain stopped then the blue screen of death appeared. A little later it semi stopped but I managed to take a screen shot before I had to restart it, and you're right those windows pop up things aren't any help at all.
here's the screen shot;
Yup, that's what I thought. Unfortunately, I can't offer you any more insight than what you can find by googling the text of the error message. There's people blaming all sorts of things, from Nero to NVIDIA drivers, but I doubt any of that applies to you. Honestly, this is the typical situation where, if you brought your computer to me to fix it, I'd say "Oh, sod all this" and reinstall Windows. Unless you can pinpoint the installation of specific program, or drivers, before the issue started.

Hmm... I'll try making a back up cd right now, I'm pretty sure I don't have a back up in my hard drive. I'll read some more articles about the subject but I think I'll stave off restoring it for the meantime lol until I exhausted all my options because I got too many stuff to re-install if I do...
My advice is to dig up the manual of your laptop, or download it from the manufacturer website. Usually, the only thing a laptop manual is good for is to know the system restore procedures that are specific to that laptop in particular. All the rest is pretty much stuff everyone already knows. (Chapter 1: How to turn on your computer. How to turn on my computer? Oh gimme a break :b).

About the system Idle thing. oh? really? so its actually good thing, I've been blaming that thing for a long time lmao then I got nothing. I forgot to check the task manager when rundll error came up I was preoccupied in saving the screen shot. I tried looking at the fan but I'm afraid my laptop doesn't allow as much freedom as yours do, the fan on the bottom is just a small slit encased in main body of the laptop there are no screws, heck I can't even see anything in the slit let alone dust its the same with the exhaust, sigh. I'll try the vacuum cleaner and see if does any good. I'll also try reading from the other thread you mentioned I've actually never visited it lol

My laptop overheats rarely actually it only usually does when something is wrong with it, and when I crashed earlier this day my laptop was elevated to avoid overheating anyway I think its the other way around (not sure though) I believe the rundll might be the one that causes the overheating...
I should mention that I've never seen or heard about software causing overheating in modern computers. The only thing that causes overheating in modern computers is bad ventilation. I mean, the effects of overheating may be triggered by software, (ie. the computer will seem to crash when a certain CPU- or GPU-intensive application is run), but the underlying cause is always bad ventilation or other badly-configured cooling system. When the proper voltage is applied to it (which is nothing you have control on, unless you're overclocking your CPU), if it's operating at its proper clock (same as above), and when the cooling system is working properly, the CPU will never overheat, no matter what load the software puts on it.

So yeah, anyway, the Task Manager is always your friend when trying to estabilish what's using CPU time. Just remember to sort the processes by CPU usage (as opposed to alphabetically or RAM usage). And check that 100 minus the System Idle Process is the same number as the "CPU Usage" field at the bottom of the Task Manager.

Hey, thanks for all the trouble :)
You're quite welcome! No trouble at all.

·
FAILURE
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, that's what I thought. Unfortunately, I can't offer you any more insight than what you can find by googling the text of the error message. There's people blaming all sorts of things, from Nero to NVIDIA drivers, but I doubt any of that applies to you. Honestly, this is the typical situation where, if you brought your computer to me to fix it, I'd say "Oh, sod all this" and reinstall Windows. Unless you can pinpoint the installation of specific program, or drivers, before the issue started.

My advice is to dig up the manual of your laptop, or download it from the manufacturer website. Usually, the only thing a laptop manual is good for is to know the system restore procedures that are specific to that laptop in particular. All the rest is pretty much stuff everyone already knows. (Chapter 1: How to turn on your computer. How to turn on my computer? Oh gimme a break :b).
I read up a few things about the subject and I successfully made a back up of my system it took like 5 dvds though. I guess, I just got to run that at the start up (on the menu thing) and the option to boot from cd would come up huh? anyway, I still have important stuff to do these coming days, I can't afford something going wrong so I think I'll restore it a week from now, then give the details afterwards. Good thing I specifically bought a External Hdd for to back up my files with.

I should mention that I've never seen or heard about software causing overheating in modern computers. The only thing that causes overheating in modern computers is bad ventilation. I mean, the effects of overheating may be triggered by software, (ie. the computer will seem to crash when a certain CPU- or GPU-intensive application is run), but the underlying cause is always bad ventilation or other badly-configured cooling system. When the proper voltage is applied to it (which is nothing you have control on, unless you're overclocking your CPU), if it's operating at its proper clock (same as above), and when the cooling system is working properly, the CPU will never overheat, no matter what load the software puts on it.

So yeah, anyway, the Task Manager is always your friend when trying to estabilish what's using CPU time. Just remember to sort the processes by CPU usage (as opposed to alphabetically or RAM usage). And check that 100 minus the System Idle Process is the same number as the "CPU Usage" field at the bottom of the Task Manager.
I always thought overheating could be caused by software because in the past I had trouble with blue screens popping up when I still had my other laptop. Stupidly enough it was a gaming laptop but I could never play games with in unless I elevated it. It always overheated whenever I play games, I don't have that laptop anymore.... and I never overclock my computers ever.

I think I'll try booting from that back up I made after I'm done with all the stuff I need to finish. Hopefully that should fix all the issues. Thanks again for all the help! :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
I think I'll try booting from that back up I made after I'm done with all the stuff I need to finish. Hopefully that should fix all the issues. Thanks again for all the help! :)
Hang on. Making the full backup DVDs was a good idea, but it's *not* the same thing as making the system retore DVDs.
Restoring the full backup would probably get you back to having the same problem. What you want in instead to go back to factory settings and configuration, like when your computer was fresh out of the shop.
To do this, you have to create the manufacturer's restore DVDs, not a full system backup. The procedures to create the system restore CDs are specific to your laptop, that's why I suggested you consult your manual. What's the specific make and model of your laptop?

·
FAILURE
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hang on. Making the full backup DVDs was a good idea, but it's *not* the same thing as making the system retore DVDs.
Restoring the full backup would probably get you back to having the same problem. What you want in instead to go back to factory settings and configuration, like when your computer was fresh out of the shop.
To do this, you have to create the manufacturer's restore DVDs, not a full system backup. The procedures to create the system restore CDs are specific to your laptop, that's why I suggested you consult your manual. What's the specific make and model of your laptop?
Oh fudge.... guess that's 5 dvds wasted. My Laptops is the Asus K42Jk-VX026 series. I just messed around the control panel at the back up and restore tab, I saw the create system repair option so that's what I went with. durn I'll look for the manual then its been gone for quite a while now.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Oh fudge.... guess that's 5 dvds wasted. My Laptops is the Asus K42Jk-VX026 series. I just messed around the control panel at the back up and restore tab, I saw the create system repair option so that's what I went with. durn I'll look for the manual then its been gone for quite a while now.
Not necessarily wasted. A full backup is never a bad thing.
Anyway, if you can't find your manual (I always lose mine) you can download it from here. I hope I got your model right, otherwise if you don't recognize it from the picture and code number, you can navigate to the conrrect page.

Quoting page A-13:

Using the Recovery Partition:
1. Press [F9] during bootup.
2. Press [Enter] to select Windows Setup [EMS Enabled].
3. Select the language you want to recover and click Next.
4. Read the ASUS Preload Wizard messages and click Next.
5. Select a partition option and click Next. Partition options:

-Recover Windows to first partition only.

-This option deletes only the first partition and allows you to keep other
-partitions, and to create a new system partition as drive "C".

-Recover Windows to entire HD.

-This option deletes all partitions from your hard disk drive and creates
-a new system partition as drive "C".

-Recover Windows to entire HD with two partitions.

-This option deletes all partitions from your hard drive and creates two
-new partitions "C" (25%) and "D" (75%).

6. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the recovery

process.

If you have doubts about what to pick at step 5, do ask.

what about system restore to an earlier date
^ That's not a bad idea either. I took for granted OP had tried it, but I may have been wrong!

·
FAILURE
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, you're really dedicated to your work man. I'm not complaining lol you know, you should have Moss as an avatar lmao

Yep its the right model it's kinda old now though anyway, I'm currently downloading the manual and some drivers. I'll try it after I'm done with this work.

I haven't tried system restore yet, because well... as I said earlier this problem has been bugging me for like a month or so but up until recently I never minded cause it wasn't doing anything overtly. When it did start slowing my computer down I checked if I could restore it but sadly the date I saw was too recent it was at a time where I was already experiencing these problems so I didn't bother to restore.

·
FAILURE
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finished formatting my laptop earlier and it works fine again. I'm currently installing some of my old programs and I am liking it. it almost feels like I have a new laptop again lol

anyway, Just passed by to say thanks for all the help :D

·
Registered
814 Posts
it almost feels like I have a new laptop again lol
Haha that's exactly how it's supposed to feel like! Well done!
Now, if you have two hard drive partitions, you can keep all your data in the second partition, so that next time you need to do a system restore, you don't have to think too much about it, because you always have the option to only format the C: drive.

anyway, Just passed by to say thanks for all the help :D
You are indeed quite welcome. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts