Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a rising sophmore in college and last year i roomed with a good friend from college. well to make a long story short, in order to sign up for a single room (and being an returning student, i get priority) i'd have to send in a downpayment by a certain date. weeell i had to go to the financial place three times before it got resolved (it was entered in with some *wrong code* and no one knew how to change it). well of course the payment didn't make it on time and i got a notice that i lost my room. the person on the phone told me i still had a room but now i'm signed up as having a roommate. i'm afraid my name came off the list for a singel room and they couldn't relaly just shove me back in my place whether it was my fault or not.

i've also heard that there was a chance that i'd have a roommate for the first week or so and that i would get a single room but i'm so afriad i'll be stuck with some drunk all year long and i can't take that! i can already feel my anxiety rising. i need a calm little bubble that i can live in! i dont' want to constantly feel like some stranger is judging my every move...anyone every been in this situation???

·
Registered
323 Posts
This past spring, I got an opening for on campus housing and I would room with someone I never met before. So, I was in a similar situation to you at one point. Right now, I'd recommd trying to relax and thinking about the positive outcoms in addition to the negative ones. Although there are plenty of folks at college who like to party, the good majority don't. It just seems that a lot of people party because the party people are the most visible. Anyway, if I were you, I'd probably have my worries, but don't let it ruin your summer. Try to keep your mind off of it and hope for the best. If you end up getting a crappy room mate, know that disputes between room mates can be settled with hall monitors. Also, people are generally decent and if you communicate with your room mate about any problems you may be having, he/she will most likely listen. And as you said in your first post, there is a good chance that you'll end up living alone any way.

Let's consider a very possible outcome. Your room mate ends up being a reasonable person and wants to treat you fairly in order to create a healthy relationship with you. A semester is no short amount of time, and this person will most likely have the sense to respect you enough to get along. Maybe, you two might hit it off and enjoy each other's company and the fact that you are living together.

The possibility of things going well are better than you may think. Hang in there and best of luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.