Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roommate invited her friends into are dorm room a couple hours ago. :eek: They asked me a couple question, trying to get me to add to their conversation, but after a while they just gave up. I just couldn't think of anything to add to what they where talking about. :| They kept talking about boys and who they have dated and what they did together. I never even had a boyfriend let alone a first kiss. After a while I couldn't take it anymore and I asked them to leave so I could "go to sleep". :no I have been in college for about 3 weeks now and things have been going pretty well. I thought I was starting to maybe get past this anxiety stuff, but then it keeps coming back up. I hate this!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
That sucks.

Sometimes in groups of guys, whom I don't know well, they will just start talking about sports and I'm totally lost, so I just stay quiet or nod and agree or laugh if something is funny lol, just follow the mannerisms of the others.

If they start talking about girls though, I will just listen in and agree with them on certain things or if they ask me about something, I will just make something up (have become pretty good at lying about certain things, like past relationships which never happened).

Anyways, next time you talk to them or your roommate, you can always say you weren't feeling well or had a fever so then it won't look like you weren't talking for no reason. If I were you, I would just make stuff up to not seem like an outcast, not saying that you are, just saying that's how I would feel.

I know people say it's not worth lying about stuff like that, but hey it works for me.

Good luck!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I know what you mean. I hate being In those situations and not knowing what to say. It can be really awkward and then I tend to feel bad about all of the "normal" things I have yet to experience in my life.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been in this situation before and I'm like you with the whole "never had a boyfriend" thing. I just told them that I never had one because either become friends with a guy, start to like him, then get all shy and awkward around them or because most of the guys in my high school (I'm a sophomore) are stupid and only want sex...all of this is actually true, but I obviously chose to leave out the mild social anxiety part out.:) Me saying that a lot of the guys are stupid actually led to another conversation where we talked out the guys in our schools that were players! If you don't really have much to add, you can try to ask questions about what they said so at least you seem somewhat involved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.