Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Never tried it myself, but I've heard different things from different people. Some say it made their generalized anxiety shoot thru the roof, some say it made them more positive and outgoing, some say something in between. I am also interested in the responses here.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Actual psychostimulants in general (Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, etc.) are good for my SA. They gave me more control over my anxiety and made me more positive and outgoing. As far as I know, psychostimulants aren't really prescribed for SA, but they are sometimes prescribed for depression off-label, and anxiety usually comes with depression.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
In combination with Klonopin Ritalin/Concerta might be pretty good for SA.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've taken Adderall for ~2 years for ADD. I can tell you it is a terrible idea to use it to treat SA. When people say it makes them more outgoing/talkative are people who probably take it once or twice a week. The medicine (I'm not sure but I'm assuming ritalin has a similar effect) has a euphoric feeling for about 30-45minutes when you first take it. This period is great for socializing and gives a huge amount of energy. After that, you're left with about 4 hours of incredible focus (what its intended for). During this period I get extremely anxious, my personality is completely dulled, and I get more depressed. If you start taking an ADD drug for SA beware, you are probably chasing the euphoria. This euphoria lasts shorter and shorter the more often you take the drug so it should not be used for SA. THe period afterwards is hell for SA.

Although everyone is diff....thats just my experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.