Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SAS Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently started rewarding myself for doing things I don't want to do. For example: I had to have a discussion with someone I had never met before yesterday. I was so proud of myself for getting through it and actually doing it, that i went and bought a huge starbucks coffee. :cup

Does rewarding yourself sound like a good idea? I feel like its kind of childish and I also feel like in the end its really not going to help me with my SA. Anyone put themselves through this before? :huh

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
If it helps with your SA I don't see the harm in it. You did have to go to Starbucks to get your coffee which means being out amongst people and most likely talking to a cashier, none of which is a bad thing if you're trying to battle against your SA. :)

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
no it's definitely good to do. especially if it's a reward for something you have to do a lot, because it reinforces those behaviors.

it helps to actually think about what you did when you give yourself the reward, like you can say to yourself "this coffee is for doing x and y". your brain will start to associate what you did with pleasure, and start giving you more motivation to do it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i think that sounds like a good idea..i want to try that helps and see if it helps me to pursue a more outgoing attitutde..hmm..i think im going to start reward myself with a nice long nap :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
that sounds like a great idea

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I guess it could be worth a try. Kind of like training an animal, lol. Once your brain gets used to associating good things with anxiety situations, you can slowly stop giving yourself rewards.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I disagree that rewarding yourself will get you through your SA because you're only doing the things for the reward. To get over your SA you must want to do it for the sake of doing it.

Hehehe, a little philosophy for you there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts