Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been thinking a lot about a fairly traumatic event that I thought I had gotten over - until now I hadn't felt anything about it or given serious thought to it in 3 years. But recently(~3 weeks) I've been remembering it a lot, feeling panic-y and stressed and upset when I do. I also started having nightmares again and my overall anxiety levels seem to be higher. I'm worried I'm not really over it, or that I'm heading backwards. I need advice.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I hope youre not experiencing that much painful emotions. Im really volatile w emotions and it sucks but i think i can relate to thinking and then experiencing the attached emotion. Though my circumstances arent traumatic
I have been reading up on eft. Emotional therapy.
The basis of the concept is to transform maladaptive emotions into another emotion that better equips you to cope with thoughts that suddenly enters the mind ( for future). One of the fundamentals of this therapy stems from the idea that emotion is of higher influence to thought and beliefs than thinking itself.

Posted via Topify on Android

·
Banned
16,644 Posts
Anything in your life that is causing you stress currently? I find when I'm stressed out and generally under a lot of pressure I start having nightmares about past trauma and thoughts of it keep popping up in my head.

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well this year I've been trying to force myself to be more social, try to make friends and date. That's the only new stressor in my life. But that's not even that recent though, and nothing new happened three weeks ago.

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope youre not experiencing that much painful emotions. Im really volatile w emotions and it sucks but i think i can relate to thinking and then experiencing the attached emotion. Though my circumstances arent traumatic
The basis of the concept is to transform maladaptive emotions into another emotion that better equips you to cope with thoughts that suddenly enters the mind ( for future). One of the fundamentals of this therapy stems from the idea that emotion is of higher influence to thought and beliefs than thinking itself.

Thanks for your response, but I'm not sure this is right for me. I searched for EFT and I found two things:

1)A therapy based around attachment theory; which seems to be only for couples who are having problems
and
2)An "alternative medicine" energy/meridian/accupuncture type thing; which I would not be willing to try

·
Registered
27 Posts
Were you triggered? This happened to me before and it went away in a few days. Though my case is different, because I never got over my trauma. The thing with me was I got triggered and my PTSD worsened as if I had just gotten it brand new. Then after a few days I went back to my "normal" ptsd. I agree with the person who recommended EFT. EFT has helped me with so much, including trauma. EFT has saved me from overwhelming flashbacks, jealousy problems, and disturbing thoughts to name a few. Whenever I feel stuck with something EFT is a good way to ease it. A lot of people think it's weird but it's really not. It's just acupuncture without the needles. Exposure therapy is good alongside EFT, though don't take on more than you can handle.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts

Thanks for your response, but I'm not sure this is right for me. I searched for EFT and I found two things:

1)A therapy based around attachment theory; which seems to be only for couples who are having problems
and
2)An "alternative medicine" energy/meridian/accupuncture type thing; which I would not be willing to try
I keyed in 'maladaptive emotions' as the search words. It has a detailed article about how emotions can really amplify thoughts and how changing the centralised idea of a bad memory w a more enhancing emotion thatcan empower you w a better coping mechanism.Positive thinking helps too. Maybe eft wasnt the correct term. But i also typed "emotional therapy"
i found that you can limit the bad memories and thoughts but sometimes the associated feelings can spring back and get fuelled again, which makes it hard to manage. Hope this is more helpful to you and hope you feel better soon.

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright I see, it was actually the first one I mentioned, I just didn't realize there was a branch of it for couples and a branch specifically for trauma survivors. Thanks, I'll have to look into it and see if I can apply that process to my current problem.

I guess the thing is that it's been years since the event and years since I last had a reaction to thinking of it. It's not a new trauma at all, I feel like I got past it and was healthy again.

So I'm trying to figure out why it suddenly started bothering me again, and I'm hoping that it's something I can just get back under control. I've been trying breathing techniques and exercise when I start thinking about it and feeling that panic, and I've been able to hold off panic attacks by doing that.

It mostly seems to come up when I'm alone, almost randomly, just watching tv, playing a game, chatting online. But then there's the nightmares and I can't do any anxiety techniques to avoid that.

I'm wondering if anyone's had experience with this, or has any thoughts really on how to stop myself from thinking about something/distract myself when I start to think about it.

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
Is it possible you could have some symptoms of PTSD?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Above poster beat me to it. This could be PTSD. I went through a similar thing a couple weeks ago. I was flooded with memories of events that I suppressed and forgot about for over 2 years.

I wasn't eating, I had nightmares about these events, felt like offing myself and everything. Does that sound like you?

Personally these memories and the pain they caused went away after maybe a week or so. It just felt really bad to remember these things after so much time without the memories

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
But would that go dormant for 3 years?
I'm no expert, but it seems quite probable.

I just googled "PTSD delayed onset", and it does seem to be a thing.

Even if what your experiencing does not qualify as a specific disorder, I have heard that things like grief and trauma can manifest themselves in quite complicated ways throughout a persons life.

Have you previously had therapy for the specific trauma?

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you previously had therapy for the specific trauma?
I did, back when it happened. And it helped, I stopped feeling numb, was able to deal with the emotions, and the panic attacks from it went away. Im thinking I probably should have stayed in therapy then though, I only went a few times and stopped when I was feeling better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So I'm trying to figure out why it suddenly started bothering me again, and I'm hoping that it's something I can just get back under control. I've been trying breathing techniques and exercise when I start thinking about it and feeling that panic, and I've been able to hold off panic attacks by doing that.

It mostly seems to come up when I'm alone, almost randomly, just watching tv, playing a game, chatting online. But then there's the nightmares and I can't do any anxiety techniques to avoid that.

I'm wondering if anyone's had experience with this, or has any thoughts really on how to stop myself from thinking about something/distract myself when I start to think about it.
I know exactly what you're talking about. That panicky helpless feeling that PTSD causes. I used to get it every night when I was alone. It went away with time for me.

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
Im thinking I probably should have stayed in therapy then though, I only went a few times and stopped when I was feeling better.
Maybe more therapy would be good.

Perhaps that initial feeling of being better could have given you a false sense of security, so to speak - that everything had been sorted out, when actually there was still some trauma deep down.

Again, I'm no expert, but I have heard that trauma can be quite complicated and unpredictable

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I feel like a jerk when I ask for advice and immediately reject it, but I'm really not willing to go into therapy again. I'm not even considering that an option.

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
I feel like a jerk when I ask for advice and immediately reject it, but I'm really not willing to go into therapy again. I'm not even considering that an option.
Fair enough. There might be some online resources that could be useful instead.

I don't know of anything specifically related to past trauma, but one or two of these CBT workbooks might be of use to you:

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/consumers.cfm

They're pdf files so you can print them out or do them on the computer. I've done two of them so far and found them very useful They're basically do-it-yourself therapy.

It's ok if there's nothing there that appeals to you, though. Don't feel bad.

·
Banned
4,523 Posts
You're not a jerk. This is your life and you should do what feels right to you. Hope you feel better.

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fair enough. There might be some online resources that could be useful instead.

I don't know of anything specifically related to past trauma, but one or two of these CBT workbooks might be of use to you:

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/consumers.cfm

They're pdf files so you can print them out or do them on the computer. I've done two of them so far and found them very useful They're basically do-it-yourself therapy.

It's ok if there's nothing there that appeals to you, though. Don't feel bad.
Wow, those look interesting. I had no idea a do-it-yourself cbt existed, why isn't this stickied somewhere

I see a few labeled things like 'distress intolerance' and 'coping with panic attacks', so probably those.

Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts