Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get this sometimes. Last night was really bad- my legs kept twitching and wanting to move and I just couldn't get to sleep, even though I was exausted.

Exercise helps, to an extent. But I'll still go through nights where it just keeps me up. Last night I finally fell asleep around 3, and only b/c I had been on my stationary bike like a madwoman for about a half hour. It's not right to be exercising that late! I still had those crawling, restless feelings in my legs, but they weren't as bad. I can already tell I'll get it again tonight.

Does anyone else get restless legs at night?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I do I do :hide

·
Registered
2 Posts
just diagnosed with restless legs and plmd

I was just diagnosed with restless legs and PLMD (periodic limb movement disorder). My sleep study revealed I had woken up many times throughouth the night and therefore, my sleep was fragmented! No wonder I am so anxious all the time!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
My mom gets this. I never really understood it until a few weeks ago when my insomnia was bad, and I started getting RLS. It's undescribably unannoying. Bleh! Mine went away unfortunately, and I hope it never comes back!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I constantly shake my legs. I am doing it right now. I do it in bed. It doesn't keep me up though.

·
Registered
994 Posts
So do I....Shake my leg (and theres no dog around Donnie..)

My Mom wakes up with this......It literally wakes her up.
It seems to be worse for her, if she was on her feet a lot that day.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hmm... it's hard to explain. I move my legs a lot. I'll tap my foot while seeing in my chair or swing my legs back and forth. It's really not the same thing as RLS. I'm sure Pip can back me up on this. RLS is just this intense, annoying, and almost painful feeling you get in your legs and it seems the only way you can relieve it is to move your legs. I really can't think of anyway to comparatively compare it... It's not fun though!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ugh. This is the third night in a row. Last night I only got three hours of sleep, the night before that, four. Tonight I figured I was so exausted that I'd conk out and sleep through the night no matter what. But, no. 3 hours later I woke up. I just did a half hour of yoga and the restless legs seem to have subsided. But now, of course, I'm wide awake!!

I haven't been running for the past few days, and I think that might be part of it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hermit the Frog said:
Hmm... it's hard to explain. I move my legs a lot. I'll tap my foot while seeing in my chair or swing my legs back and forth. It's really not the same thing as RLS. I'm sure Pip can back me up on this. RLS is just this intense, annoying, and almost painful feeling you get in your legs and it seems the only way you can relieve it is to move your legs. I really can't think of anyway to comparatively compare it... It's not fun though!
I guess mine is the same. My legs don't hurt....I just can't stop moving them...sometimes at work I will sit on one of my legs.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have that and it is annoying as hell. I read somewhere it has to do with lack of iron in your system. Some people is born with a gene thats gives your RLS when u are low iron. I usually eat a bowl of whole grain cereal about a hour before sleep and it goes away.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
GermanHermit said:
Laura said:
GermanHermit said:
Resless legs are often caused by varicose veins (don't have to be visible) or at least weak veins (walls, valves).
Oh no..I have restless legs and varicose veins run in my family. Does that mean I'll get them too? I hope not.
Don't worry Laura, I'm sure Odun would still love you!!! :)
yes he will.

as for varicose veins, i already have them. i suspect my legs will be covered with them in 20 years.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
malcman wrote:
I read somewhere it has to do with lack of iron in your system
I read that too. I have RLS and so does my mom. I have had many many sleepless nights because of it. On top of that I have arthritis in my knees. I have to exercise my legs alot. That helps. I also take some Advil. I hate that uncontrollable urge to move though. It drives me nuts. My mom's doctor prescribed neurotin for it. It is an antiseizure med but is also used for pain as well. My mom said she is having alot of success with it. I also take iron supplements.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I suffered with this terribly when i was a kid, I would kick and move my legs all night and had trouble sleeping. It is like you need to move or feel uncomfortable. I also used to get wicked charlie horses on a regular basis. Since my 30's this has almost ceased. My mom used to call them growing pains.

As an fully matured adult though, i have continued one thing and that is constant movement. I tap my foot, shake my leg ect and when standing i am often rocking if i am waiting in line or something. I used to rock in my chair at work or tap my leg all the time but i have stopped that but feel the need to stretch several times a day.

I have often wondered if i don't suffer from some kind of nerve disorder, or exposure to toxins. The creek we played in when kids was found to be full of PCB's. Vericose viens were a real problem for my mother and her father. My mom had her legs stripped 3 times. I don't see any in my legs, only a few in my feet. Who knows?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts