Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always known diet is important, but from recently experiencing how greatly it effects your moods, anxiety, and well-being is amazing.

I've always thought you need to respect your body as to how amazing your body works and how hard it works, yet I abused it with junk, depression impacted with no motivation to eat, and was just a cycle that I couldn't break out which made me feel horrible throughout the day.
Anyway, all this may be sounding strange but it really made me think. The last few weeks I've been stuck in another depressed episode, my anxiety has been unbelievably higher than ever before, and I had to do something about it naturally as I've always believed diet is really the most important aspect for gaining control.

I have honestly found myself more talkative, not feeling as tired - even when I'm most anxious, I don't get fatigue as much, and surprisingly I'm recovereing from depression faster than I usually go through it. Even these are all very small doses of improvement, I can see myself controling my depression which I just need to keep telling myself to respect your body and it will respect you. Sounds tacky I know, but it works for me :p
I know this is in no way a cure to my anxiety/depression but with setting your mind to eating well, it does take a huge benefit for you to help keep you think straight.

Is this the same for anybody else or do you go through stages? What do you tell yourself?

I'd like to mention that I'm not vegetarian, but I'm not too fond of red meat which I rarely eat. What are some food substitutes for people who don't eat read meat?

Cheers, thanks for reading.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Yah, I've discovered this as well. When I eat poorly it definitely affects my mood.

I try to eat a balanced diet with protein, good carbs, good fats, high and low carb vegetables (ie carrots vs. spinach), nuts, beans/legumes, etc. I'm never perfect, but it defintiely is something that I keep in mind, especially when I'm noticing myself becoming more anxious or feeling down.

The most interesting thing I've noticed is how eating greens seems to really improve my mood. It could just be placebo, but when I eat a bowl of fresh spinach or other green leaf vegetables I always seem to feel better.

I don't know about substitutes for red meat. I don't eat it that often.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Eating good always makes me feel good! i have gotten to the pint where if i eat bad i literally feel sick. I dont eat red meat but i eat a lot of chicken and i eat turkey patties. Fish is also very good. I think a lot of the additives in foods now a days cause us to eat more and who knows what those chemicals are doing to us. Keep it up!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Eating properly and getting exercise has a huge impact for me, on my moods and anxiety levels. Especially as a vegetarian I need my protein and proper nutrients.
Processed garbage like pizza pockets, kraft dinner, cheese pizza and potato chips etc. don't give me those nutrients or any energy and make me feel horrible and bloated. Gross!
When I wasn't leaving my house and staying home all the time feeling like crap, I was eating all the garbage I could stuff myself with out of sadness and of course, BOREDOM.
My anxiety was insane, I felt hopeless, and as pathetic as this sounds I lay on the couch all day for at least 8 hours. Its really amazing how important eating properly is and how much of an impact it has on my life and over all well being.

Congrats for not eating red meat.. according to CNN you will live longer...lol
Its not important you still get all the proper nutrients you need with chicken and fish etc.
Try cooking with tofu and soy products, for a change if you don't already, which are quite delicious.

Opposed to ground beef try Yves veggie ground round it is delicious and tastes just like ground beef but better and way better for you. They have different flavors for different meals such as italian, original, and mexican. I like the original and add my own seasonings. Its worth a try you'd be surprised, try it out.
Don't they also have turkey bacon or veggie bacon at the grocery store opposed to real bacon and sausage links?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts