Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you feel seriously uncomfortable, like you're repulsed and disgusted for no logical reason when you scroll through Facebook? I've heard of FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) and it's definitely not it! I feel like I WANT to miss out on these experiences I know I should want to have. I feel embarrassed and repulsed when I look at sweaty people smiling and hugging. It gives me claustrophobia to see all the parties and events and travels that I'm missing. I feel flustered, like these people can see me, it's like being scared of spiders, even PICTURES of spiders. That's how I feel about being social. I want to want it but I don't want it. I feel frustration and embarrassment over the thought of participating in these activities. I want to want to, I want to be popular and I'm a charismatic person. I'm not awkward or restricted outwardly but I feel overwhelmingly so on the inside!

·
Banned
126 Posts
I feel embarrassed and repulsed when I look at sweaty people smiling and hugging.
What does sweat have to do with it lol?

But yeah I used to get the same feeling on Facebook. It make me panic about what I'm doing with my life. Other people have said it before and I agree on it, Facebook is about appearances. These people are only posting the things they want people to see so you can't count on it for a realistic timeline of their lives.

Ask yourself this. Are you certain that you desire to do those things right now?
Are you certain that the activities these people are doing, which I assume are important to them, are necessarily important to you?
For example you might see pictures of people snowboarding and feel bad about not doing it, but is snowboarding really what you want to do?

I've had the same experiences, where I clinged onto other people's desires because I wasn't certain/confident about my own. What you ought to do is some self-exploration, figure out what you're really interested in, and then start doing those things one small step at a time.

I want to want to, I want to be popular and I'm a charismatic person. I'm not awkward or restricted outwardly but I feel overwhelmingly so on the inside!
Once again I'd recommend that you do some introspection first. You have the conclusion that you want to be popular and charismatic, but how did you get there, what are your reasons? Is it really who you are or is it an ideal that you're molding yourself after.
If it is the former then the first thing you need to do is get off Facebook and confront your fears (which I understand won't be all easy, you could check out other forums and threads for help on that).
If it is the latter then you should ask yourself whether trying to become someone you're not is beneficial to your sense of identity (the answer will be obvious).

Have you considered the possibility that maybe you're an introvert, in which case your interests could actually be somewhat different?

In any case you should do some introspection to determine what you're really interested in, and then make efforts to get there. With or without their attention.

Remember, this is your life, so go ahead and pursue your own interests. Don't let people pressure you into doing what works for them. It might not necessarily work for you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't think repulsed is the word for me, more like I feel contempt for some of them. Some people on my f'book can't type out a full sentence without reverting to abbreviations or swearing. Most of the time for these people statuses will have so many spelling or grammatical errors that you wonder if they ever made it through school. This is people in their mid-twenties as well. They shouldn't talk like teenagers any more. Having said most people on facebook are just there. Some are attention seekers, some post about their children every single day of the week. I can't say I pay too much attention. I usually just do a quick scroll once or twice a day/every other day.

·
Banned
4,659 Posts
I can't understand what you mean OP

·
Banned
16,644 Posts
Me to. I feel like I'm supposed to want to do all those things and have an active social life, but it takes so much out of me just to pretend to have fun, that there is no way I can be one of them.

I can never understand how some people can just be happy, cheerful, and energetic all the time no matter what. My brain chemistry just doesn't work that way.

I know people that will get off work at 9am after working since midnight and they will go to the beach and drink and party all day with their friends and then come back in and work another night shift and be perfectly fine. I have no idea how normal people are able to function like that.

I end up pushing people like that away because I can't match their "get up and go" energy levels. These are people that would be beneficial for me to befriend, but it's too much.

·
God, Family, Homeland
569 Posts
The thing I find repulsive is what some people share on facebook. I think to myself "don't these people know this stuff is public and permanent?". I'm talking about implicating and potentially embarrassing stuff. Then there's the stuff that people would rather not know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts