Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I"m in my dorm and I just got invited (by a hot girl knocking on everyone's doors) to play some charades type of game in another building. It's probably the worst game for someone with SA. I'm thinking if I should go... I have a lot of hw

·
Registered
389 Posts
GO! Go meet people and have fun (or pretend to have fun and feel good that you at least went). Homework can wait.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Two Options:
1. You can sit in your dorm and wonder what might have happened if you went (you might have met people/had fun) oh and get your homework done :)
2. You could go and see what happens

BTW you can always make up an excuse like mentioned about to limit your exposure. Like say that you have a test tomorrow, so you can't stay for long.

If you're having a lot of fun, then just say that you'll wake up early and study for it or something and enjoy.

·
serendipity
17 Posts
hmm...can you go for just a bit? I'm thinking from my point of view and I always find it hard to say no, and I also find it difficult to get out of situations once im in them. I've stayed up in the dorms almost all night because I would agree to something like that and I couldn't find a way out. Depends on how much hw you have!

But I would try to go if you can and maybe set a time limit for yourself. Say that you have to meet someone to study or have a way to get out if things start getting really nerve racking.

Yeah, charades definitely isn't my game either, i have avoided it for so long. But i've been finding recently that once I get started in a game and I laugh at myself, I can actually have fun with games I never imagined I could do. Games like pictionary actually make me really nervous because you have to draw in front of other people, or the games that you have to answer questions on the spot, trivia games.

I guess it sounds like you really want to go, my advice would just be to have a plan to get out. But really I've found that meeting people and making friends, or just having acquaintances to say hi to really comes down to about 75% just showing up. If you just show up about 75% of the time it doesn't matter what type of impression you really make...you get to know people by just hanging out even if you don't talk much, and you start to make a social network for yourself.

So I'd say in summary, go for it, have a plan to get out so you can do your homework (because trust me you will be sorry you didn't later! I've had way too many experiences like this haha ;)) But even showing up for 10 or 15 minutes to say hi sounds like a great idea to me. Go for it!!! Write back so I know how it goes :)

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I would say go,if your shy and shes asking random people it might help you battle SA

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did it. I was probably a little awkward but overall it was worth it.

And the pretty girl seemed to take an interest in me too... or she just felt bad for me idk. She asked me my room number and I didn't even know it.

But boy have I regressed... this stuff used to be no problem for me.

I think I might have some type of mutism problem... there's always stuff I want to say but I just don't. Like I left after half an hour and I just said "I have to go now" but I wanted to say after that "because I have a lot of hw to do"... but I didn't say that. Probably bc other people were talking louder than me at that point

·
Denizen of the Night
230 Posts
The Professor:1059293287 said:
And the pretty girl seemed to take an interest in me too... or she just felt bad for me idk. She asked me my room number and I didn't even know it.
Fail. Haha. If that had happened to me when I was living in a dorm that girl would have had my room number, email, full name, and phone number in record time.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
I did the same thing too, first time I rejected it cause I was unsure of the people there. Second time around i was a bit more jolly and was more acclimated to my surroundings so I went. My sense of humor and creativity won out in the charades and I left knowing I made a few people nights memorable. So I had fun for myself, didn't talk much to anyone except a few quips here and there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fail. Haha. If that had happened to me when I was living in a dorm that girl would have had my room number, email, full name, and phone number in record time.
Are you a troll? Easily one of the most common symptoms of SA is muddy thinking and lack of concentration.

But good on you for being such a suave alpha male.

Congratulations on doing it, OP, nobody can ask more than that.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are you a troll? Easily one of the most common symptoms of SA is muddy thinking and lack of concentration.

But good on you for being such a suave alpha male.

Congratulations on doing it, OP, nobody can ask more than that.
Thanks.

I actually didn't know my room number anyway. My response was awkward though I just pointed and said "I live over there" haha.

Muddy thinking=YES. So much you want to say and you end up saying nothing right? whatever... at least I look like I'm not desperate.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts