Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Pure Daftness
452 Posts
As far as i can tell its only helped me with sleep, i`ve been taking them for 7 months working my way up to 45 mg but i just kicked it coz it was poopin out on me, my anxiety has increased in the last few months but i thought it was me but now i`ve stopped taking them i realise that it was the med. I gained some weight whilst on them and i`ve had vivid nightmares for a while, my heart rate has dropped from 100 bpm to around 80 since i stopped, so glad to feel like i`m getting back to being a bit more like me again instead of an anxious zombie.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have mixed feelings about mirtazapine. As an AD and anxiolytic I find it has little to no effect, and I've tried dosing from 15 to 45mg. Also, as a sleep aid it's had no effect from day one. I even tried 7.5mg for sleep as it's supposed to be more sedating at lower doses.
So you're probably wondering why I would bother to stay on it. The only reason I take mirtazapine now is to counteract the sexual side effects of escitalopram. I know it works because I've stopped taking the mirtazapine before since I didn't think it was doing anything, and the sexual problems returned. 15mg isn't enough to help, but 30 or 45 does the trick. I also take buspirone 60mg for the same reason. Doesn't seem to do much for anxiety, but it definitely has pro sexual properties for me.
I do suspect that the addition of mirtazipine and buspirone to the escitalopram probably do have a mild AD/anxiolytic effect, but it's hard to know for sure, some days are better than others. But I'll stick with this regimen since SSEs of SSRIs suck (pun intended?). By the way, I tried adding bupropion to the escitalopram for the SSEs before the mirtazapine/Buspirone combo, but it did not work, and it increased my anxiety.
And as an added benefit, I have some kind of allergy that makes me itch like crazy. But the antihistamine effects of the mirtazapine take care of that. No more allergy meds!

·
Registered
215 Posts
All "experimenting" has been done under the guidance of my primary doc. And we found a combination that not only works for depression and anxiety, but maintains sexual functioning. I'd say a little experimenting was well worth it.

·
Banned
4,222 Posts
I've been on 15 mg for a month. I haven't noticed positive benefits from that dosage, but it's a low dose. I've been on 30 mg for about a week now. I think the depression might not be so severe? I don't really notice anything except I can eat more and sleep more easily.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Imo, mirtazapine was really really good.
Amazing for sleep and really helped with my OCD.

Although, it made me gain weight and didn't really help with my SA.

On 15mg, it helped my sleep but nothing else.
I gradually got upped to 30mg which like 15mg lost its effect pretty quickly.
I was then on 45mg and that's when it helped my OCD also, but the higher the dose the higher my appetite got!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Been on it for a month. 30 mg for 3 weeks and then 60 mg for a week.

It hasn't helped really, except that being on an AD without sexual side effects was pleasing. Made me sleepy and made it VERY hard to get up in the morning. I would literally lie in bed almost paralyzed, too tired to even turn the alarm off.

I've been off it for 3 days, and now I have racing thoughts. Little events around me make me happy for 15 seconds and another event around me makes me sad as ****. I can't stop wiggling my legs and jumping around...

·
Banned
6,269 Posts
I've just been put on these by my psychiatrist. They put me to sleep so easily, which I like. I've had a horrible time getting to sleep and getting good sleep.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Remeron

I took Remeron about two years ago and it helped me sleep. I woke up feeling well. Recently, it was prescribed to me again in a small dose, 7.5. I was told by pharmacist the company no longer makes that strength so I was given 15mg and told to cut them in half which I did. After taking one, I woke up feeling like I had been drinking too much! I was groggy and out of sorts most of the day. I will never take another one. I am going to start taking Wellbutrin and will check the forums on that. It seems like it's tested over a long period of time and has the least side-effects. Wondering if anyone else had similar effects with the Remeron? I also tak Klonapin and the doctor said I needed to take Remeron so as to not become psychologically addicted to the Klonapin which I have taken several years for sleep issues. It helps. He is concerned about memory issues, however, so his goal, I gather, is to wean me off Klonapin. I am ok with that if I can sleep through the night. I was otherwise waking up every two hours and having exhausting dreams, not being able to get through the four stages of sleep. I would of course prefer to take nothing. I find exercise in the evening helps somewhat but am not alway up for working out at night, too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Remeron

I took Remeron about two years ago and it helped me sleep. I woke up feeling well. Recently, it was prescribed to me again in a small dose, 7.5. I was told by pharmacist the company no longer makes that strength so I was given 15mg and told to cut them in half which I did. After taking one, I woke up feeling like I had been drinking too much! I was groggy and out of sorts most of the day. I will never take another one. I am going to start taking Wellbutrin and will check forums on that. It seems like it's been tested over a long period of time and has least side-effects. Wondering if anyone else had similar effects with the Remeron? I also take Klonapin and my doctor said I needed to take Remeron so as to not become psychologically addicted to Klonapin which I have taken several years for sleep issues. It helps. He is concerned about memory issues, however. So his goal, I gather, is to wean me off Klonapin. I am ok with that if I can sleep through the night. I was otherwise waking up every two hours and having exhausting dreams, not being able to get through the four stages of sleep. I would of course prefer to take nothing. I find exercise in the evening helps somewhat but am not alway up for working out at night, too.

·
Banned
6,269 Posts
I'm on 15mg at the moment, and the only side effects I've noticed is that I'm actually eating more (was barely eating much before) and drowsiness which has helped my sleep. I still skip a nights sleep every 3 days and have a horrible sleep pattern, but I'm no longer waking up 5-6 times a night. I'm guessing my psychiatrist will bump up my dosage when I see him this week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah the only 2 anti-depressants I've been on is Lovan and Mirtazapine, Lovan was nice and it settled me for a bit but i got these wild mood swings which i thought well this ain't a real positive attitude in trade for a little less anxiety, and Mirtazapine was ten folds worse not only i still had these mood swings but i also had the zombifield effects like getting up to go to work at 3:45am and not being able to function without a massive cloud in the head and flat out being able to talk straight until 14 hours after taking the damn thing at night before sleep and on top of that your hungry as **** and you put the weight on, i dunno how i even drove to work without crashing to be honest, as far as I'm concerned it's just a sleeping pill with no changes in SA and only leads to more Depression.

·
Sigh.
9,313 Posts
Yea, I didn't like it. I took 15, then 30. Makes me feel lethargic and unable to do too much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Stopping Remeron

I've been taking 45mg for a few years now but for several reasons I am getting off of it. My pdoc said that because tapering off slowly would cause too much sedation that I could just stop it could turkey and that it's not like the SSRI's in that it doesn't cause much discontinuation. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is it probably ok to take her advice or should I taper slowly even if I'm really sedated for a few weeks?

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
I've been given this to try, but right now I'm tapering off the prozac. So I'll report back in a month or so...

·
Banned
6,269 Posts
I've been on 45mg for a while now, along with an SNRI. So this med is really good at making you put on weight. I'm not sure but I also think its the thing that is causing my mind to be super cloudy. I'm thinking of stopping it but I'm not sure.

·
sarvam dukham sarvam anit
368 Posts
I've been on 45mg for a while now, along with an SNRI. So this med is really good at making you put on weight. I'm not sure but I also think its the thing that is causing my mind to be super cloudy. I'm thinking of stopping it but I'm not sure.
I took a low dose of Remeron years ago for depression...I couldn't wake up in the AM and was in a fog all day, had to stop taking it so my brain would clear out...it has a more sedating effect in low dosages for some reason...check w/ your doctor before you proceed...

"If my heart could do my thinking
And my head begin to feel
I would look upon the world anew
And know what's truly real. "

·
Banned
2,320 Posts
imo great for depression, but not much for sa in the long run...

will make you very drowsy so take before bed, but after awhile you might become tolerant to this side-effect, so in that respect it can be good for insomnia in the short-run at least

be very careful with the weight-gain! if you go on this med (it will make you hungry) you will want to really watch what you eat (esp. how much and how often) and have an exercise schedule setup beforehand!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Can somebody explain to me how a drug that inhibits noradrenaline can make you sleep? I'm interessted in Mirtazapine, because I need a new sleep aid, and my body NEEDS noradrenaline to feel happy, so this drug seems exactly as what I need.

But does it really increase your noradrenaline while it makes you sleepy? This is just such a contradiction...

41 - 60 of 72 Posts