Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

So my whole family has depression. And within the last year I've realized I have it too, but to a lesser extent. I have social anxiety, which creates my depression. I've tried SSRI's (effexor, and one other one) for a very brief period of time (less than a month). I didn't like them because they made me feel kinda zombied-out and unlike my normal self when im actually comfortable. I also did not like any of the AD's that had sexual side effects, because that just made me more sad lol, and anxiety has been the real root of my problems.

I have been on Remeron 30mg, 1 every night before bed, for the last 3 months. I was on 15mg for 2 months before that. I'm a really skinny guy so the weight gain has been a welcome side effect, and I've always had trouble falling asleep easily, so weight gain and getting drowsy were 2 welcome side effects. I only had these side effects for the first month or so of taking the med (been on it for like 4 or 5 months).

I do feel a little happier depression-wise, but my social anxiety hasn't improved at all, or atleast not enough for me to notice. Ever since the bump up to 30mg Remeron, I still have no side effects any longer. It doesn't zonk me out before bed, which i liked. And now I find myself sleeping 12 or 13 hours per night and still feeling lazy all day. I feel really lazy and tired, and spending more time sleeping than being outside living life is making me feel kind of depressed again. I have no drive or energy.

I did try wellbutrin after I quit SSRI's (because of the sexual side effects). Wellbutrin was tried for a month and a half, and it did give me a little bit more energy, but made me shaky and even more anxious. The reason why I wanted to try wellbutrin was because I was hoping the energy-increase would act kind of like adderall. I have taken adderall before (25mg xr, small dose), and my anxiety and depression COMPLETELY vanished for the whole day, and I felt like i wasn't trapped anymore, I was able to be myself, the person I was in high school, organized, charismatic, and driven to succeed with whatever it was that i wanted to do. It was like a fog was lifted from my head, and it felt great to be reminded that my normal self is still in there, that I still have all of the confidence and personality traits that I used to show everyday. Adderall was like a revelation for me. It cured the anxiety. What sucks is that now my anxiety problem that has developed in the college years (21 years old) is so apparent to myself.

I also have Xanax, but I take 1mg every other day because I do NOT want to get addicted physically. It does help the anxiety definitely, but being tired and lazy all day from the remeron plus being on xanax just makes me super chilled out and even more lazy.

To sum it up, remeron is not helping my anxiety. I've learned that I do have depression, but it's caused by my social anxiety. I could sleep from 10pm to 2pm the next day and still be lazy and unmotivated to leave my room. I'm not sad, but I'm just so unmotivated and unenergized, which makes me even less excited to go out and deal with my anxiety.

Is there anything out there similar to adderall for anxiety? Stimulants tend to cause more anxiety, just like the Wellbutrin did, but adderall fixed everything for me.

Otherwise, what is something else I could ask my doctor about switching to (from the remeron) that doesn't have sexual side effects, but will treat my social anxiety and give me a little more energy, or at least not take away my energy?

Thanks all

·
Registered
327 Posts
Try to add SSRI/SNRI or bupropion to mirtazapine. Another good option is tianeptine (if it's available in your country).

·
!
7,715 Posts
Remeron does cause drowsiness, but it evens out after the first few weeks.
As you've been taking it for several months already, the problem is that you sleep too much.
12h of sleep a night is going to make anyone feel sluggish, medicated or not.
I suggest you try to get only 8h of sleep a night, and see if it makes any difference. Going outdoors and exercising is important too (even though the threshold for that is high).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts