1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
642 Posts
I don't know if peple are using this and using that to get "high". They want to FEEL less shy, not just act less shy.....

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
Is it just me or does anyone else feel sad reading posts about people 'mixing' legal drugs for the 'high'?
Now Im not stranger to drugs (especially the illegal ones), and if it was a few years ago, I wouldnt care what I took, but now that Ive seen the horrors of drug abuse, Im worried for the people who rely on even the legal drugs.
Just because theyre legal and the doctor gave them to you, doesnt mean its any safer to take excessively or mix with other legals.
Im just finding, not just here, but even on my support group sessions, that alot of people tend to lean on their meds and it never helps them. It seems to be that, once you start on a drug, it eventually wears off, so you end up running back to the doc, taking one drug after the other, on a neverending cycle, trying to get that 'high' or 'normal' feeling again.
Im really starting to think about not taking my zoloft, because I feel I can do this without. I have felt that normal 'high' on life feeling before without taking anything. Im sure everyone else has too.
I dont want to sound all high and mighty. Im no angel when it comes to drugs, believe me! But it does worry me a little, that so many people run to the doctor for a 'hit of life'. It just seems like everyone I meet now, is on some sort of anti - life drug whether they have anxiety or not.
Please dont think these drugs will save you from SA. Because they dont.
That may very well be true for a person that just suffers from SA but as a person that also has bi polar, medication is required for me to remain stable and live a somewhat average life. I am glad you feel that you can live life without meds- I hope it works out for you! :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if peple are using this and using that to get "high". They want to FEEL less shy, not just act less shy.....
Well my idea of 'high' is to 'feel'. :)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Is it just me or does anyone else feel sad reading posts about people 'mixing' legal drugs for the 'high'?
I feel sadder reading posts in the "Frustration" section of this forum, by people who are clearly having a really **** time in life, yet still beating the "dead horse" of therapy. I know it works for some, but a lot of people get nowhere with even years of therapy (especially for atypical depression cases).

Now Im not stranger to drugs (especially the illegal ones), and if it was a few years ago, I wouldnt care what I took, but now that Ive seen the horrors of drug abuse, Im worried for the people who rely on even the legal drugs.
It's different to drug abuse though. Drug abuse is injecting speedballs every day, not carefully planning out a combination of therapeutic, sustainable medications.

Just because theyre legal and the doctor gave them to you, doesnt mean its any safer to take excessively or mix with other legals.
Im just finding, not just here, but even on my support group sessions, that alot of people tend to lean on their meds and it never helps them. It seems to be that, once you start on a drug, it eventually wears off, so you end up running back to the doc, taking one drug after the other, on a neverending cycle, trying to get that 'high' or 'normal' feeling again.
That's true for most people, but there are some who take measures to prevent tolerance and other negative effects of drug-use.

Im really starting to think about not taking my zoloft, because I feel I can do this without. I have felt that normal 'high' on life feeling before without taking anything. Im sure everyone else has too.
I dont want to sound all high and mighty. Im no angel when it comes to drugs, believe me! But it does worry me a little, that so many people run to the doctor for a 'hit of life'. It just seems like everyone I meet now, is on some sort of anti - life drug whether they have anxiety or not.
Please dont think these drugs will save you from SA. Because they dont.
Good luck, but if you're like me, you'll realise after quitting Zoloft that these thoughts were due to the SSRI, and that level of optimism isn't really sustainable with a "natural" mood in most people.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just realised I sounded very ignorant. Sorry, I did not intend on generalizing people like that. I do think its needed for conditions such as yours. I think I was trying to say, that so many people seem to be 'diagnosed' with anxiety and depression these days it makes me wonder whether meds is answer to societies problems? Not that Im downplaying depression and anxiety at all, heck its a serious problem for people including myself. Its just Im thinking their is better ways of dealing with them, than putting people on the medication rollercoaster and saying 'take these, youll feel better'.
No offense but as soon as you find out those betters ways pliz let me know.I truly understand your concerns but there simply no easy answers to this SA monster

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
seroquel & lamictal - keeps my mood stable, makes my depressive epidoes much much less severe and less often, took away my suicidal ideation and lowers my risk of suicide attempts (which would be previously high)

ativan - helps relieve anxiety when i know i will be in an anxiety-provoking situation, or if i've had a bad panic attack. it sometimes makes me feel similar to being a little drunk (without the body high), but it's never been a drug that i've wanted to take just out of boredom and i'm not even all that dependant on it, maybe cause it's not the kind of high i like. i only take it a few times a week and a pretty low dose anyway (my tolerance hasn't gone very high) and i don't take it if i know i'm drinking so i don't feel like i'm even close to addicted.

adderall - my extreme frustration regarding: my poor social skills and inability to be alert/quick enough in conversation, my extreme shyness, my complete lack of confidence, over self-consciousness, are all problems that i've been working on a long time with cbt/others but i have still made very little progress in social situations i want to actually enjoy and do well at. my severe problems with lack of concentration, focusing, and attention (which are problems that are extremely difficult to control as i've tried many things) were never addressed seriously by my doctor which was incredibly frustrating as they have set me back immensely in school.
okay those are weird sentences, but basically my point is those problems are what compelled me to buy adderall illegally off a friend. i know many people look down on it, but hell, if someone has struggled every day for the first 19 years of those life with those problems which have been very debilitating (and while i still do CBT and have improved it has never been drastically), then if they have easy access to a drug that can help a little then i'm sure many would resort to it as well (kudos to those who are able to enjoy life and be productive without it. seriously).
i'm also not going to lie that i do rely on it for certain situations - but i still think i have made progress from it honestly, even when i'm not on it. and i don't believe it will "cure" my shyness or SA, i have never believed it. it's just a temporary aid (which i did research extensively before taking it).
anyway - my doctor finally took my inattentive ADHD seriously and i'm now able to have a prescription for it. i'm not at all taking it for the high, or even the SA, but i can't even describe how amazing it is to, for the first time in my life, get some work done, focus for more than a few minutes, not take hours for the smallest assignment that others could do in less than 1, feel alert in discussions, etc etc. i did start it at the worst possible time - just the last month of my final year of high school (which is my 3rd year of grade 12, since i've failed/struggled so much with the problems), but at least i can confidently know that i can go to college without those problems holding me back.
and even though i bought it illegally and i do take a little more for bad SA situations, i don't plan on ever abusing the doses i get from my doctor (i buy the extra i take from a friend), i'm now very aware of the negative effects and work around them (take minerals/vitamins that help), i don't plan on lying to get more than i should, etc etc. it's just been a ****ing godsend and helped so much. only those with severe debilitating inattentive ADHD could understand.

alcohol - i love alcohol. i will not lie that when i'm with people and we have alcohol i will drink it as it does help. it certainly doesn't eliminate my shyness and i've accepted that long ago, but it helps enough to drink it on occasion and i don't abuse it (in fact i drink less than most people).

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
oops sorry way longer than needed. i just wanted to explain my reasons for using the drugs, which i don't mean to go against what you say or prove you're wrong at all - i just wanted to give some insight on why i resort to drugs.

i don't really blame anyone for thinking what you believe, though i think there are exceptions when it's a med for a bad chemical imbalance (bipolar, psychosis, etc) when i would never agree that they are for the high or quick fix.

i actually greatly admire those who can feel satisfied without drugs and who can get through their daily life without them. i think some people's brains are just wired pretty drastically. and it's easier for some to fight their negative thoughts (which is one of the most difficult things ever, in my life) or have drive or successly get over their struggles. i dont know what thats like, but many others also don't know what it's like to struggle with these problems as much as i have, or others who have resorted to trying legal or illegal drugs.

(i would compare it to someone with severe chronic pain resorting to a drug to help when other treatment methods, or lack of understanding from doctors, haven't helped)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
However, if you suffer from SA (and its secondary disorders as a result of SA) the meds may be a useful tool to assist you with cognitive restructuring and once the restructuring is complete (you're able to cope) then the average sufferer could expect to be able to come off the meds with reasonable results.
Yes, but why come off meds at all if they make your life better? I haven't seen any notable long-term side-effects of SSRIs and a lot of other drugs. There seems to be a general consensus that being "drug-free" is better, but there doesn't appear to be any reasons why. It's probably just the usual "fear of the unknown" that makes people think altering their chemical balance is bad.

·
Banned
642 Posts
Yes, but why come off meds at all if they make your life better? I haven't seen any notable long-term side-effects of SSRIs and a lot of other drugs. There seems to be a general consensus that being "drug-free" is better, but there doesn't appear to be any reasons why. It's probably just the usual "fear of the unknown" that makes people think altering their chemical balance is bad.
Because being drug-free and suffering is better then utilizing a drug and finally being able to enjoy life.....Get it?:um

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
People can also combine drugs like SSRIs with therapy like CBT. ;)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
You make a good point. There are some people who rely too heavily on drugs who don't put enough emphasis on making healthy life changes. On the other hand there are people who avoid drugs like the plague due to philosophical reasons and suffer unnecessarily for it. There are also people who are depressed and anxious who turn to alcohol or illegal drugs rather than a safer prescribed drug.

The bottom line is SSRI's and benzos have given a lot of people on this forum their life back... literally. There will always be people who abuse drugs, even prescription drugs, but I don't think that should lessen the positive effects they have had on so many people who genuinely benefit from them.

I'm not one to speak really. I admittedly like to drink and smoke, despite the fact that I am already on prescribed medications. I realize it's not healthy though and am trying to cut back. It's not easy though.

Medication can be effective in itself, but it is most effective if used in combination with CBT, exercise, and nutrition. (Easier said than done)

·
Registered
371 Posts
The thing that often strikes me is that many people seem to take meds and yet they still don't seem to be able to deal with the problems of their life.
I believe in these drugs for first aid and to overcome periods of acute crisis. But only in very severe cases they should be used permanently.

My therapist works in a mental health clinic and reports that many people have lost the ability to deal with and bear negative feelings and setbacks. They completely fall to pieces. Causes might be today's lifestyle, wrong role models, unrealistic expectations in life and of themselves.

Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The thing that often strikes me is that many people seem to take meds and yet they still don't seem to be able to deal with the problems of their life.
I believe in these drugs for first aid and to overcome periods of acute crisis. But only in very severe cases they should be used permanently.

My therapist works in a mental health clinic and reports that many people have lost the ability to deal with and bear negative feelings and setbacks. They completely fall to pieces. Causes might be today's lifestyle, wrong role models, unrealistic expectations in life and of themselves.

Just my two cents worth.
Yeah, possibly for some people. I don't think the drugs are to blame though.

I never did any drugs all throughout highschool or my first year of college... not alcohol, not marijuana, not cigarettes, not prescription drugs, nothing whatsoever (except caffeine). I was depressed all throughout highschool and the stress of first-year college just drove me to the edge, had a full-blown episode of psychotic depression.

So the fact is, I could never really deal with setbacks in the first place. People with mental illness feel 100 times more pain than the average person from everyday events, whether or not they have ever taken an SSRI. Frankly, I think that therapists can be very biased in their views on drugs, and their views can be harmful to their patients who may believe their doctor knows "better".

My first therapist didn't believe in drugs and never directed me to a psychiatrist. Instead he told me to do chores around the house and exercise. I hate to bash this guy, he was really nice, but he was a terrible therapist and was not a positive guidance in my life. I needed to be on medication, but his selfish biased views clouded his judgement. Ultimately I had to pay the price when stress mounted in college. Hate to sound bitter, but there are two sides to every story.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
For me, particularly with regards to SA, drugs should be used as a tool when workings towards a solution, but shouldn't be the solution. I think it's very important to use the opportunity provided by the effects of the medication (e.g. reduced anxiety) to learn and make changes in thoughts and lifestyle. Because one day, the medication may not be there. You might lose your job (and drug plan), you might forget your meds, or one day they just might not work the way they used to. And then your right back where you started.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've never taken medication seriously...when I was in college, I got some stuff that I think was called Picamilon off the internet and took that for a few weeks...probably not smart. About a year later I went to a counselor from the school and they immediately put me on Cymbalta, but I quit taking it after two weeks and I never experienced any effect from it.

I've been going to therapy with the same therapist for about a year now, and she's the type who sees drugs as the absolute last resort. I've thought from time to time about bringing it up, but it seems like there's always "one more" thing I should try...exercising more, sleeping better, spending more time on self help work, etc.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I consider drugs, legal and otherwise to be kind of a disappointment! If drugs can improve the quality of your life then I'm happy for you, but that has never been the case for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts