Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.unrequited.net/religion.html

just an article so it doesn't look like im just promoting the use of marijuana.

but today i smoked a joint and then came inside and chatted about religion to a friend on msn. I WAS COMPLETELY IN AWE!!

Words cannot describe my feelings. I felt like i was floating on a cloud. Everything had spiritual value. It really was a euphoric feeling.

now tell me, why is this? im sure im experiencing what any other deeply spiritual person feels.

its like a gift from god. nothing else explains it. My stand folks. now you know why there are marijuana protestors, i hope you learned something today

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
It's interesting, you mention euphoria being tied in to spiritual experiences.

I've been high more than once. My own personal preference is for opiates. One thing I've noticed is that, while meditating, I have occaisionally had experiences very similar to the high I get on opiates.

I remember one time I was meditating and I felt myself floating. I could "see" in my minds eye that I was being transported through space and time to someplace incredible. I felt a calm warmth cascade over me, a feeling like everything was okay, that I was okay. I felt safer than I have ever felt in my life.

Of course I think there is a danger in basing one's spirituality around the attainment of an emotional state. For every euphoric high that a steadfast meditator has, he spends hours and hours doing the hard work of calmly noting his breath and his thoughts. For every mystical experience some saint has had, I am sure that they spent years feeding the poor, caring for the sick, supporting their friends and loved ones, and learning to be open and caring to others.

That is the backbone of the religious experience IMO. Not so much the feelings but the dedication to making the world a better place and becoming a better person.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I will link spirituality to feelings and getting lots of enlightened ideas. But I don't feel so enlightened if I'm not doing what I think is right, kind, responsible. Today, I had to rest and relax. I've been worn out. I didn't feel much purpose. This felt non-spiritual to me--having not much work or purpose.

I think maybe I consider that spiritual which lasts to keep me happy. I would just ask if marijuana could always give you that high without consequences or without wearing off very quickly.

It seems spirituality in any form can wear off. But the least wise means of accessing it, in my mind, are the most temporary, and the most physically harmful. I used to get euphoric highs from my anti-depressant all of the time. But it had a downside, a worsening of my mood disorder, my energy level, etc. I wouldn't say that the euphoric high had nothing to do with spirituality, but it seemed like some kind of enhancer. When I went off the anti-depressant, it felt like I felt nothing. I took about a month to recover any feeling I could be spiritual again. It was really rough. I nearly gave up living a good life at all, but luckily, had support that helped me recover my spiritual feelings again.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Western Wall said:
I will link spirituality to feelings and getting lots of enlightened ideas. But I don't feel so enlightened if I'm not doing what I think is right, kind, responsible. Today, I had to rest and relax. I've been worn out. I didn't feel much purpose. This felt non-spiritual to me--having not much work or purpose.

I think maybe I consider that spiritual which lasts to keep me happy. I would just ask if marijuana could always give you that high without consequences or without wearing off very quickly.

It seems spirituality in any form can wear off. But the least wise means of accessing it, in my mind, are the most temporary, and the most physically harmful. I used to get euphoric highs from my anti-depressant all of the time. But it had a downside, a worsening of my mood disorder, my energy level, etc. I wouldn't say that the euphoric high had nothing to do with spirituality, but it seemed like some kind of enhancer. When I went off the anti-depressant, it felt like I felt nothing. I took about a month to recover any feeling I could be spiritual again. It was really rough. I nearly gave up living a good life at all, but luckily, had support that helped me recover my spiritual feelings again.
its interesting you should mention these things. My spiritual feelings are wearing off and im realizing im relying on marijuana to keep them there. But, on the upside, ive learned how to be a better person and ive kept a written record of it. I figured out that the kind of person i should be is described as: Act as though you wanted everyone else in the world to act the same way. Thus the world would be perfect.

Maybe thats moving away from the spiritual things? But it really helped me to learn how to help myself, dixcover my flawas, and so on.

THis is hard on me physically, at times. But ive also been spontaneously getting the urge to exercise and be more active. I used to not do anything all day. Sit there and daydream instead of being active. and something came to me and told me not to do this anymore. These voices in my head told me to never slow down, always be on the move. always be upbeat, always want to be learning something new. That helped me alot too.

If there is a God, im sure that being high puts you in contact with him. I have a journal i keep in which i write down all the new things that i learn when im high. My journal has turned into a "how to live a good life" book. full of reasons and ways in which i can better myself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I see what you're saying. I respect your point of view. It seems you are coming upon good things even if it's not the way I'd do things.

I say cultivate multiple things besides marijuana. In other words, experiment with behaviors other than drugs. You really don't want to end up with anything being dominant when you haven't yet figured it if it is the right thing to end all right things.

I think that your effort and desire to live a better life is actually inspiring.

I also suggest you concentrate on how you feel every time you do something within your new moral code. It may be reinforcing to notice all the good feelings you have knowing you're working within your new moral code.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts