1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
371 Posts
I agree with you.. How does it work? I consider myself an open minded person.. I come from a Hispanic, Catholic family only I have decided that religion is not for me.. I believe God, I just don't believe the bible or going to church will "save" me. (Sorry if I offend anyone). My boyfriend is not religious either but if he was, I wouldn't care so much because I love him. As long as you can accept each other and love each other no matter what your beliefs are, then everything will work out just fine..

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
I couldn't have a serious, romantic relationship with anyone deeply religious. We'd just have views that were too different, about things that are too important. I love to have friends with views different to mine (as long as they enjoy debate as much as I do and don't get offended too easily), but a significant other is different.

By the way, Aurora, what do you mean by "connect spiritually?" "Spiritual" is a word I hear a lot, but I don't know what people understand by it.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
My husband doesnt share my beliefs....although he is spiritual in some sense and my creationist beliefs vary from his. We share so much else in common that it isnt that much of an issue. He isnt over the top and neither am I; And I am glad that we both are able to allow each other room for our beliefs or we wouldnt have the great relationship that we have. Almost nine years later...guess we have done something right.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I've always wondered how this would work if one or both believed in one of those religions that condemns others (to hell or elsewhere) for not believing in what they do. I could still see love and respect happening I guess, but if you really thought your spouse was going to fry I don't see how that can ever be a healthy relationship.

·
Confused
735 Posts
Our neighbors have this exact type of relationship. The husband is a 'militant' atheist by my definition (and I'm an atheist myself), and his wife is one of the most 'Christian' Christians you'll ever meet! Truly bizarre really — and they've been married for over 20 years. I still don't know how their relationship works. Sometimes opposites really do attract.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I've only really dated or been interested in men who were either lapsed and indifferent or atheists. I just think that religion, especially for me, is an extremely private matter so that not having that in common really isn't an issue.

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
I prefer to stick to Christians who have the same beliefs. I know from experiences I've heard that there are arguments and disputes because both people have differing beliefs and will not always get along because of it. Standards also are different with others' beliefs.

A wife is bound during all the time her husband is alive. But if her husband should fall asleep [in death], she is free to be married to whom she wants, only in [the] Lord. 1Corinthians 7:39

Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness 2 Corinthians 6:14

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
I'd rather date someone who has similar beliefs, as my religion is a big "part" of who I am.
It is something I am not willing to hide, even if it means being single for the rest of my life.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
A wife is bound during all the time her husband is alive. But if her husband should fall asleep [in death], she is free to be married to whom she wants, only in [the] Lord. 1Corinthians 7:39

Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness 2 Corinthians 6:14
I assume that you don't say hello to or befriend non-Christians either, in accordance with the second book of John, verses 7-11.

Ah, Biblical literalism. Fun, eh?

·
killer of conversations
10,545 Posts
So, religious people are the Light and the Righteous, while I, on the other hand, represent darkness and don't follow law.

Or did I interpret that wrong?

Don't tell me those are just comparisons that don't imply what I stated above.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
So, religious people are the Light and the Righteous, while I, on the other hand, represent darkness and don't follow law.

Or did I interpret that wrong?

Don't tell me those are just comparisons that don't imply what I stated above.
Oh, there are way more offensive ones that could've been chosen, trust me.

I have a big issue with literal interpretation of the Bible.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I prefer to stick to Christians who have the same beliefs. I know from experiences I've heard that there are arguments and disputes because both people have differing beliefs and will not always get along because of it. Standards also are different with others' beliefs.

I like these quotes :)

Heres a good one my SO has memorized:

Ephesians 5:25-27 (New International Version)

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26to make her holy, cleansing[a] her by the washing with water through the word, 27and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.

IMO religion keeps men in line, they are accountable to God for their actions, seen or unseen. Also God serves as a great mediator between two people.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It's fine as long as you're not huge religious or non-religious people. The kind that constantly mentions "I love God" or prays or something(luckily not many are these days), or mocks God in any way. If either one of you are like that, odds are that'll be a lot of arguing. But if you're both just nice and normal people that don't make it the #1 thing in your life, then it should be fine. Just try to never bring it up.

·
gone
5,224 Posts
Oh, there are way more offensive ones that could've been chosen, trust me.

I have a big issue with literal interpretation of the Bible.
No one can possibly take it all literally. Some just go further than others. It's a gradient.

That quote from John you referenced....hoo boy. Never heard of that one beore. That might come in useful...

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
No one can possibly take it all literally. Some just go further than others. It's a gradient.

That quote from John you referenced....hoo boy. Never heard of that one beore. That might come in useful...
It might be useful to look it up in a Bible handbook first because that is talking about false evangelists teaching false christian doctrine like the one that Jesus wasn't a flesh and blood human being but rather came to earth only as a spirit being. "Many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh"

·
Registered
761 Posts
I don't think I could connect well with a highly religious/spiritual person. I'm not religious or spiritual at all. My ex suddenly became a buddhist and that did nooot work out. My best friend is Muslim. It's never been an issue, because our personalities are so alike. I'm a vegan, and she's never questioned it at all, because she views it as on the lvl of her religion. Plus neither of us have extreme views and are relaxed on the topic... would rather not discuss it anyways. Her bf is a Catholic. Not an issue there either (other than disapproving parents). So, if we're on a similar level... share values, live in a similar reality, then religion will not interfere with our relationship.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
It might be useful to look it up in a Bible handbook first because that is talking about false evangelists teaching false christian doctrine like the one that Jesus wasn't a flesh and blood human being but rather came to earth only as a spirit being. "Many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh"
Y'see, that's an interpretation, not literalism. Did he say 'false evangelists'? No. He might mean false evangelists, but it doesn't change what is in the wording of the Bible itself.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,035 Posts
I think the degree of influence and/or significance of the religious/spiritual(or non-religious/spiritual) belief is the deciding factor in these types of relationships. For those whose religious/spiritual(or non-religious/spiritual) beliefs are what I would called "functional", that is they believe(or not) but are liberal with regard to the ways of others, such relationships would appear to have the same 50/50 chance as those without this factor. But for the extreme/fanatical people involved in whatever belief system surely things would go awry rather quickly if they could even manage to start a relationship

1 - 20 of 45 Posts