Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Relieving through exercise? or gym?

2K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  caflme 
#1 ·
I've look around the board for a bit and I saw some people say that they exercise and that kind of helps them with their SA but where do you guys do it? I'm too self concious to run outside around the neighborhood and way to much for a gym. Is it weird to go alone to a gym or do people usually go together? I also need to lose weight because I'm getting plump.

What do you guys do to exercise or how do you guys exercise?

#2 ·
I used to work out at a 24 hr gym - usually around 2-3am Very few ppl came in during those times.

I'm the same way about running around my neighborhood. That's actually something my therapist is trying to get me to do - but I can't. When I run outside, all I can think is that ppl are starring at me saying "that idiot, what is he doing?" etc...

So I joined a gym because we're all there for the same reason. But I was scared to go during the day because I might forget how the machine works, or I might not do some sort of gym etiquette thing and ppl will laugh,judge,make fun of me.

So I would only work out after 1am

#4 ·
I always went alone. And it was totally dangerous. I live in Memphis TN, you HAVE to always have a gun. Plus a shelby county sheriff was almost always parked in the parking lot

I went alone so that I would have no anxiety.
Of course when someone else comes in to work out that changes. I'd get mad at them making my anxiety start back up, but I'd get on the treadmill and just start running and it would clear things up a little(although I always thought they were talking about me behind my back)

#5 ·
I go to a gym and I go alone. I haven't been for a few weeks as my membership doesn't let me in after 4 and I just got a tmporary job but because of my SA I can't ask to upgrade my membership! I'm trying to drag myself to go today as it's the weekend and I need to go. When I first joined I was so scared and nervous but I've gotten used to it there. I used to go weekday afternoons so generally it wasn't busy. But a few times there was hardly anyone there at all and I found that slightly more anxiety-provoking than when it was a bit busier for some strange reason! I want to start going in the evenings but my main concern it the machines being all used up as I only go on a couple of things.

I am not fit enough to run around my neighbourhood but I definately don't have the confidence for that anyway!

If you can, I would recommend joining a gym. It can relieve stress and depression and give your mind something else to focus on.

#6 ·
i work out a few times a week at home, and go cycling once in a while. i think its the only thing that has kept me from going crazy. i made up a circuit of things i can do at home which is a combo of things i copied from the tones of videos on youtube, and then some weights, nothing hardcore, i'm not trying to get big. it does make me feel a bit better for like an hour or 2 afterwards.

#8 ·
I go 2-3 times a week and have for the last 2 years. It hasn't done jack **** for SA lets face it no one is there to talk. It can at least give you something to do since for me I don't do a lot other than work.

#9 ·
My parents bought a treadmill about 8-9 months or so ago. Before the treadmill the most I ever ran was 1.5 miles. After like 2 months with the treadmill I was running 6-10 miles 6 times a week or so. It takes a little bit to build up stamina and endurance. The way I did it was run for like 5 minutes then walk for 5-10 then run for 5 more etc. Do this for as long as you can. Soon you will be able to run for 3.5 miles or so. When you hit that then you are in the great zone and doing great. It also gets very easy to keep on running and before you know it you will clock in some 7-10 miles runs. So you just have to get to the 3.5 mile mark and you are set and it becomes very easy from then on. I like listening to music while I am running and also would do meditations while I ran. Sometimes I would get some pretty cool effects and nice states of consciousness from the meditations. Also made running much easier and much less mental resistance to the run.

Running makes you feel really great though. Especially when you hit the 35 minute mark or so. After the 10 mile runs I would feel amazing. A real runners high that felt very good. Running can get very addicting!

#10 ·
I love the natural high from exercise . You don't have to run to get it I get it on the bike and when playing hockey. It's great if your having a stressful day.

#11 ·
I'm planning on taking Judo pretty soon to help me with my anxiety. I just can't motivate myself enough to just go out and run or go to the gym. Where Judo I'm motivated because I want to get better and I'm very competitive. So I would look at a physical activity you enjoy as a third option. I don't see anything wrong with going to the gym alone. My mom works out alone and I've never heard of people working out in groups. So it's completely normal if you go by yourself.

#12 ·
The only time I could use another person with me in the gym would be if I was going really heavy and need a spot. I use dumbells to avoid the use of a spotter. Squat days can be a little scary with no spotter.

#14 ·
The biggest problem is overcoming one's inhibitions and learning to bear unpleasant feelings (embarrassment, feeling like an idiot).

I get the most benefit when I do my physical activities in the outdoors. Even if the weather is lousy and I come home looking dishevelled I feel great. Working out in gyms wouldn't give me that satisfaction. I need to also feel the elements. Probably because I spent most of my life indoors in the past.

Currently I'm still unable to leave the house just for the exercise. Therefore I try to integrate it in my daily routine like getting off public transport two or three stops earlier and walking the rest of the way.

#15 ·
Last month I got a gym membership and I worked out and I felt good about it. I will admit I only went to the gym 5 times in May. I did go back to the gym yesterday by myself. I realize now though that nobody cares about what I am doing at the gym. Everyone is doing their own thing. I am getting much more comfortable. The gym is good for people with social anxiety I think because you are getting two positive things. The first is being around other people and learning to cope. The second is exercise which is good for you because after you work out you will feel so much better about yourself.

#16 ·
yeah, excerise is a great stress and depression reliever, however it doesnt really help with lowering the sa effects in my opinion. you should try out a gym for sure though. i actually am thinking of joining one this summer to get in shape.

#17 ·
I've been going alone for 5 years now. Tons of people go alone. Usually the more serious ones are alone and the ones that come in pairs or packs are there to work out casually and talk and hang out.

I started my senior year in high school in my friends basement with him. He had all the real equipment and taught me tons of lifts and the correct form to go along with them.

I'm pretty sure that without the knowledge I gained from lifting with my friend I probably would have been scared of a public gym as well. But since I knew what I was doing when I went I wasn't scared and just go in there and do my thing with little to no anxiety.

So maybe if you get a trainer for the first week or two and have them teach you the machines and different exercises as well it could give you the confidence to go alone. There is also tons of info on the net but it is easiest to learn by doing.

And yes it does help relieve anxiety. It has been my biggest source of confidence through all these years. I'd be in a very bad place in life if not for what I have gained from the gym. Not just physically but the lessons in discipline, dedication, and determination. As well as giving me something to do every other day. It's my sancuary in there.

#18 ·
That's where I get it from running.
I get pumped enough to be able to defend myself if need be. People catcalling me makes me want to cuss - HARD.

They call me a slow lard@$$, and I am the one running SIX miles FOUR times a week! Jealous? I'd say so. It only took me nine years to get me where I am!

I stopped eating breakfast due to the metabolism issues Paxil brings on and started watching what I eat - YES, I have hunger pains :cry. But, I did lose 10-15 of the 40 pounds I had gained at one time.

#20 ·
Congrats on losing weight on paxil. Paxil is a killer when it comes to weight gain so that is very impressive. I am no where near your level. I couldn't possibly run six miles four times a week, so I am in envy.

Even still, can you switch to a different SSRI? I assume you have already experimented so it is probably a silly question. Paxil is the worst for weight gain I think.

#19 ·
Yes, I go alone all the time. I am a little self-conscious about the receptionists, because they certainly recognize me by now. But it's not weird at all. Lots of people go alone.

Exercise has an immediate short term effect on anxiety and broader long term effects on overall health if you can stick to it regularly. Exercise is even more effective than medication for some people assuming they are dedicated to a regular exercise routine... motivation is the difficult part.

You shouldn't be self-conscious about the gym, most people are just focused on their own workout. However, if you look up "home workout exercises" you can probably find some good ideas for working out at home. Consistent daily exercise has certainly helped me through some tough times. It is no easy task when you are depressed and anxious, but that is exactly the reason why it is so important.

#24 ·
My boyfriend walks 3-4 miles nearly every night, I think that really helps him a lot. He still lives in the same neighborhood where he grew up - he bought his parents house. His parents always walked when he was growing up so he does it now, but he has modified the routes so that they are 'his'.

It is a really fast (seriously fast) paced walk. I walk with him every chance I get (if he is comfortable with me being there and wants me there) - we used to walk 4 days a week, then it dropped back to one - now we are back up to two :)

We never talk about his SA but I know it is what haunts him. From being on this website I have learned so much and it explains nearly everything about him, his life and his behaviors. I'm just glad that he wants me to walk with him on the days that we do. I completely understand his need to walk alone some.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.