Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets have a discussion on the differences in effect between monoamine releasers such as amphetamine, reuptake inhibitors which effectively block neurotransmitters from leaving or entering the neuron, and MAO inhibitors which stop the monoamine from being metabolised.

Personally I'm a bit uncertain as to why some work better than others.

What causes certain conditions where the deficiency of a particular type of neurotransmitter is solved with a particular medication? Can certain drugs be combined to achieve the same effect as others? For example, can a MAOI be combined with bupropion for example to achieve the same dopaminergic effect as amphetamine?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Interesting question, but it's a bit like comparing apples with oranges.

Because I think that, aside from the obvious different mechanism of action, non selective irreversable MAOIs such as nardil and parnate can essentially give a triple boost to the serotonin system, a triple boost to the noradrenaline system and a triple boost to the dopamine system, plus in the case of nardil a single boost to the GABA system, this is in contrast with say a reuptake inhibitor which would give a single boost to it's select system/s.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The way I see it, a "serotonin deficiency" for example may not be fixed by an SSRI if the problem is excess MAO.

Attacking a problem with a different mechanism of action regardless of whether it targets the same chemicals may be the answer.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Lets have a discussion on the differences in effect between monoamine releasers such as amphetamine, reuptake inhibitors which effectively block neurotransmitters from leaving or entering the neuron, and MAO inhibitors which stop the monoamine from being metabolised.

Personally I'm a bit uncertain as to why some work better than others.

What causes certain conditions where the deficiency of a particular type of neurotransmitter is solved with a particular medication? Can certain drugs be combined to achieve the same effect as others? For example, can a MAOI be combined with bupropion for example to achieve the same dopaminergic effect as amphetamine?
Combining a MAOI like Parnate / Nardil with bupropion will not give the same subjective effects of Amphetamine. The combo can work for some patients with treatment resistant depression, but it is in general risky (contraindicated) and should just be used carefully in special cases.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts