Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
going hazy
8,724 Posts
I'm pretty sure VLC won't play anything region free if the drive is giving those "you have limited region switch" messages.

Umm, I think the other option, if that didn't work, is to update the firmware on the dvd drive with a region-free version. Do you know the make/model of the drive? I don't know how knowledgeable you are with computers but it might be a bit tricky do do this because, unfortunately, this is semi-advanced stuff.

If there's a compatible firmware it'll be here: http://tdb.rpc1.org/

·
P4
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it's the... er... firmware? That came with the dvd drive that says it. All the software would say that the dvd's in the wrong region, or copy protect and you can't play it :( That includes vlc player and media player classic with codecs.

gah, I knew it'd be something difficult looking to fix this D:

·
going hazy
8,724 Posts
I tried it, and it just ejected my disk before it could read it :(

know any other methods?
How did you try to use it? You should put the disc in and wait until smiley face icon thingy should turn green, and then it should play. I'd use VLC along with it too.

It's possible it just won't work though.

·
P4
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I borrowed Queer as Folk from the library as recommendation from a friend, but I don't know how it's like since I can't watch it :( I also bought all seven seasons of the Brittas Empire in region 2 D: It should come in a few days. The reason I bought it in the first place is so I don't have to youtube it all and waste megabytes...

·
Registered
365 Posts
If you have an older DVD drive, the region encoding is deciphered at the software level and can easily be overridden. For example, use of the VLC Media Player, which is free, simply ignores the region encoding:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

If you have a newer DVD drive, the region encoding is almost certainly deciphered at the hardware level, using RPC-2 firmware. Many manufactures allow you to change the drive's region up to five times. Thereafter, your only option is to reflash the drive's firmware. Reflashing with with RPC-1 firmware effectively makes the drive region-free. Reflashing with RPC-2 firmware at least resets the region-change counter to zero.

I'd try the VLC Media Player first. If it doesn't solve your problem, then perform a Google search for firmware made specifically for your particular drive.

·
P4
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why does everyone like VLC player? I always thought MPC with codecs is so much better! It works with more things, and the player's interface is much nicer (I think). The entire screen is a pause button and you can actually search through parts of the movie much more accurately too.

As for the other tool, I think I'll try it another day. I already restarted my computer too many times today D:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Judi,

I'm no great fan of the VLC player. It is no longer installed on either of my computers, nor is it installed on any of the many computers I manage as part of my business. However, if you want an easy way to bypass DVD region codes, the VLC player does the trick very nicely.

On the other hand, if your DVD drive encodes the region in firmware, the VLC player (or any other player) is not going to solve your problem. Your only option then would be to reflash the firmware.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts