Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Nowhere Man
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in an awkward place in my life. I'm applying to return to college in September but right now I have very little to do except for my First Aid volunteering (which is very few hours). I worked as a Temp for a supermarket over the Christmas season and they offered me a seasonal contract (Which they said could lead to a permanent contract). The problem is I don't have any work with them until late March. After the Easter season, I'll probably be in the same place until summer. As fun as it sounds to sleep in and watch Cowboy Bebop until then, it's not really the most productive use of my time.

I'm considering doing some recruitment work to fill in the blanks but I'm not entirely sure how to go about it. Are there agencies that are nationwide or is it more of a regional business? Any particular places I should be wary of? I've heard some agencies will take quite a bit out of your end wage. However, if it's for a few weeks I don't think it'll be that bad to put up with if it sucks. I really wish schools would go over this with kids before they leave education. I honestly have no idea what to do.

So...do I go to a local career center? Any advice would be helpful.

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
Sorry for replying as I am not from England and don't have knowledge of the "nationwide" temp agencies over there.

Reason I'm replying is yes, there are temp agencies that let you work short periods like daily or weekly doing very temporary labor, and I've basically gone to these temp firms to acquire "hard labor" the next day at a factory for short periods.

It's worth it if you need some cash, but the cash amount is usually small (minimal wage type work) and sometimes the work is flat out physically industrial exhausting unless you are lucky to get a data entry dealy.

Otherwise, if you do have a schedule to go back to school and don't necessary need the petty cash, I would probably study in advance of the class to try to get a good grade/mark instead of doing something that blows your next month and change away being a working cowboy bebop.

There are other temp firms (like Manpower, Aerotek, etc. over here) where they are looking to place you extended months too on more office type work in addition to industrial.

And yes, the firm usually collects a significant fraction of the amount the company pays out for your labor, but it would have been difficult to get the arrangement on our own without an agressive temp agency rep.

You can also try small shop owners on your own to see if they want part-time help to avoid the stiff chunk taken out from temp agencies.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts