Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
sad panda
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we tend to always focus/obsess over things we've done wrong or bad social experiences, I thought it might be helpful to record any social interations, no matter how small, that show that I'm not a total screw up. I'm going to do this at the end or during every day, writing down small successes with minor exposure excersizes such as talking with a cashier, complimenting strangers, hanging out with friends, etc. and leave out anything that I felt embarrassed by. maybe this will help balance out my negative thoughts with more realistic, positive ones!

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
that sounds like a good idea. my anxiety seems to be getting a bit less, which means i'm talking with people more, but that also means making more mistakes, which i do tend to focus on. i feel a mixture of excitement and stupidity.

maybe i should get a book on the art of conversation or something. maybe that would help?

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
I've been talking more *at* work. I complimented someone on their outfit. I think you just have to do these things and you get better at it in time. I suppose books can help to a certain extent. Mostly I think it's practice, and being a keen observer of other people, although I think it's possible to overdo that.

I often set out a plate of biscuits (cookies) for people to scarf on at work (they love me for it, and I always put it close to my desk so that it encourages some interaction), and I noticed that one person, for whom I have great affection (like a son or little brother), took a couple and then said that he likes a particular kind that was on the plate, but would come back for it - so he then picked up every biscuit on the plate and used them to cover up the one he liked so no one else would take it......

And this got me thinking - if I had done that, I immediately would have thought how rude and careless I was to touch every biscuit on that plate, other people might want to eat them, what was I, brought up in a barn??? and so on....but he didn't - I could tell, it didn't even occur to him what he'd just done.

and I thought, what he did *could* be construed as a social faux pas, albeit a tiny one - and he is a very social person, who loves to be in the middle of things.

Other people, even very social people, commmit these little errors all the time. So why shouldn't we?

A woman in my office, very successful, about to be made a partner, very outgoing and so on, told me the other day how she cried when the senior partner was giving her a bad time about something. And she's a mover and shaker in our place herself.

These things happen to *everyone*. So-called mistakes, gaffes, faux pas, losing control of one's emotions...
Note to self: don't be so harsh. Nothing and no one has to say the right thing.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
^ thank you, i like that.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Why, thank you for liking it.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Leonardess, your right, everybody runs the same emotions and problems that any extremely introverted person would experience. I think extroverts just handle these situations differently. For example, instead of running from a "problem" they face it head on to possibly experience, learn and manage it effectively - also something you had mentioned in your post above.

But back on topic: I record my own voice very frequently, just keeping ideas down on something I can playback. Overtime, I've realized that there are so many thoughts of mine that it's better to simply play it freestyle with an ambiguous approach. It's relaxing to record your own thoughts and listen to them. However, I've also thought about recording my conversations with others to see how I interact, but never really done this. It's not strange or weird to do so because i think it will help you on your own insights. GL

·
Fitting In Here & There
808 Posts
Since we tend to always focus/obsess over things we've done wrong or bad social experiences, I thought it might be helpful to record any social interations, no matter how small, that show that I'm not a total screw up. I'm going to do this at the end or during every day, writing down small successes with minor exposure excersizes such as talking with a cashier, complimenting strangers, hanging out with friends, etc. and leave out anything that I felt embarrassed by. maybe this will help balance out my negative thoughts with more realistic, positive ones!
This is a great idea---I know cuz I do it. :) For several months now, I record what I do each day that involves others. Just like you said--no matter how small. It really adds up and you can use it as evidence that you are NOT a total screw up. (It really does help!) Before I wrote things down, I'd literally forget if I did anything positive. And I mean at all. Ever...

Again--Great idea, I hope you try it!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Its a good Idea. I do it too and also write down what I thought at the time were bad interactions and write down some counter thoughts to make myself realize it wasn't as bad as I made it out to be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts