Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
8,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to be able to play games on it, im not bothered about playing more high end games (like new releases, but if laptops are that good then it might be nice too.) but games such as minecraft, world of warcraft (runs surprisingly easy on my computer compared to other stuff), magicka (Only including it since it seems to be harder than wow to run.) I don't really know whats good for a computer/laptop despite spending most of my night on a computer.

If anyone has suggestions it would be nice :) Im not sure how much Ill have to spend but with both my birthday and christmas coming up id guess at around £500.

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
I think that's about $800 USD, so you should be able to get a decent gaming laptop from alienware: http://www.alienware.com/

If that's too much and you want to go cheaper, basically look at a computer's L2 cache, RAM, GPU, and built in screen resolution and refresh rates.

In general, should still consider getting a desktop for gaming and laptop for low power operations.

·
Registered
513 Posts
MacBook.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Alienware are horrifically overpriced
MacBook as the old ancients say "lol no gamez", and they're overpriced.

But laptops cannot handle games very well in general, however I believe this will handle what you want.

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
Alienware are horrifically overpriced
MacBook as the old ancients say "lol no gamez", and they're overpriced.

But laptops cannot handle games very well in general, however I believe this will handle what you want.
Great call.

The Mac is obviously a rip-off.

Alienware should still be considered (although indeed expensive). Look at the specs. There are some on there that have 8-16 GB RAM and more L2 cache (i.e. better processor) than that HP unit in the link for the same price (if I remember how to convert pounds to USD :)), so the HP unit suggested is probably overpriced now too.

May just want to go directly to Dell even if slightly overpriced for decent support and ease of self recovery. For comparable pricing, go for RAM, L2 cache on processsor, GPU, resolution and refreshes, and don't be cheap.

You are after all trying to be cheap on your hardware and probably splurging on games (which will become your hand me down clothes). Do your diligence on hardware.

Just another site for game laptops for comparisons: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
ASUS laptops are pretty good with newer MMOs and games, for a quarter of the price of an Alienware. Bestbuy sells them and their usually loaded with single or dual video cards that are well known. Friend has an ASUS and he can play Rift no problem on it and he only payed 700 dollars.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Alienware should still be considered (although indeed expensive). Look at the specs. There are some on there that have 8-16 GB RAM and more L2 cache (i.e. better processor) than that HP unit in the link for the same price (if I remember how to convert pounds to USD :)), so the HP unit suggested is probably overpriced now too.
The cheapest Alienware for sale on their site is £600, and all the specs are worse than the HP computer apart from the graphics card.

·
Banned
8,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not sure why you would game on a laptop =/

gets way too hot
We only have enough space for one computer in my house and If I got a new one it would have to be shared with my brother since my brother wouldn't be able to go on the computer then. And he always stays in the room for the entire night if he is in, which stops me from going on sites like this and he is quite annoying as well lol :/

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Just be careful with computers that have the ATI Firepro. I think mine is the M7820. There is a display driver issue that, at least with my computer, does not let me unplug the laptop (I get a pixelated screen). Also, and most importantly, the computer blanks out temporarily when watching videos online. There is a new driver out but I'm too afraid to install it, and I'm not even sure if it really fixes the problem. Obviously, I'm able to use the computer without any problems, and I watch movies on it almost everyday, but it is an issue I would like to not have. Also, I'd be wary of anything that is bang for your buck but sacrifices quality. I know there are a lot of computers out there with the i7 and what not going for $600-800. I avoided these, as many of the reviews seemed to have frustrated users with all kinds of problems. My computer, the HP EliteBook series, isn't free from problems, but the build quality is nice. It's heavy as hell (17") and it does get hot, but I'm not going to the coffee shop with it, either. I imagine you could play games on it, but you'd have to sort out any potential display driver issues for gaming. There is a new one out, the 8670w, that might be good. These are meant as workstations, but I know people game on them.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
My recommendation is:

http://www.ebuyer.com/272284-asus-k53sc-laptop-k53sc-sx017v

It has a NVIDIA GT520M, which would give you a little more oomph for gaming over the Intel HD3000 which comes with most laptops in that price range. Also, the second generation i5 (Sandy Bridge) processor runs pretty cool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts