Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is suffering from anxiety and depression. He turned to alcohol to help which made it worse. He is in therapy now and the therapist suggested using anxiety/depression meds along with his therapy.

He was on prozac 2 years ago but only took like 2 weeks because he hated the sexual side effects.

He still wants to be able to drink alcohol socially.

Are there any meds out there that are NON addictive and don't have the sexual sideeffects.

I read about Wellbutrin but that is only for depression not the anxiety.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Some people have luck with Viibryd (vilazodone) an antidepressant/anxiolytic with less sexual side effects.

Remeron (mirtazipine) has limited sexual side effects. It has other side effects though to consider (weight gain, sedation).

Sometimes two agents are used. An SSRI with a low dose of Wellbutrin, for example.

The above are not guaranteed and I anticipate someone is going to chime in that they totally did not respond the same way. Oh well. Just telling you how the dice are loaded - not what you will roll.

__

Just how much alcohol are we talking about? It's a red flag that he "still wants to be able to drink socially". If drinking has been a severe problem (i.e. concerns about alcoholism), he needs to abstain altogether in my opinion - at least for a good while, until his meds are figured out.

Is he living with you guys? How invested is he in the treatment?

Reactions: barry1685

·
Registered
27 Posts
12 is too young for drugs. he needs a good counselor maybe even a peivate one. someone who is there 24/7. Drugs will damage his brain. he needs someone he can buid rapport with, not dope.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
12 is too young for drugs. he needs a good counselor maybe even a peivate one. someone who is there 24/7. Drugs will damage his brain. he needs someone he can buid rapport with, not dope.
Drugs will damage his brain? What do you base that on? Your own damaged brain?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my son is 19 will turn 20 in Oct. Seems like he wants to change. He has been suffering for a long time and is just getting worse with depression/anxiety. He has turned to self medicating with alcohol. Seems though like he is trying to change.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
He was on prozac 2 years ago but only took like 2 weeks because he hated the sexual side effects.

Are there any meds out there that are NON addictive and don't have the sexual sideeffects.

How about trying Wellbutrin to treat his depression along with a benzo (Xanax, Klonopin, Valium, Ativan) to treat his anxiety? It strikes me as the best combination possible.

If the benzo were to calm his anxiety, there's a good chance he'd reduce his drinking, since he's drinking to self-medicate his anxiety. Taking a benzo is clearly better than drinking booze.

Yes, I know a benzo doesn't meet your standard of being non-addictive, but we want something your son will actually use. I see no point in putting him on yet another SSRI with the standard SSRI sexual side effects that he'll quickly discover and stop using in a couple weeks. That's reality. Benzos tend to have no sexual side effects (except in very high dose & even then it's nothing compared to what you'd get from an SSRI).

Remeron was suggested above and that's a viable choice as well. Like Wellbutrin it's one of the very few antidepressants without sexual side effects. Unfortunately, as mentioned above, it has its own problems: sedation & weight gain. It's not very popular, presumably because most folks prefer not to be fat & tired.

Now I just have to wait to be condemned by somebody for daring to suggest giving benzos to an alcoholic. I still think it's the best possible course of action, despite the condemnation it will bring upon me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
He needs to be on an SSRI formonths, not weeks in order for them to work. Other than that, a Benzodiazapine and quit the Alcohol right NOW. You may need to try several different therapists to find the right one for him. Put everything into helping him now otherwise he'll be 10x worse in 10 years.

Tell him to shut up that his dick doesn't work, if he complains again, you'll cut it off.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
ollietop said:
He needs to be on an SSRI formonths, not weeks in order for them to work. Other than that, a Benzodiazapine and quit the Alcohol right NOW. You may need to try several different therapists to find the right one for him. Put everything into helping him now otherwise he'll be 10x worse in 10 years.
Well, we agree he needs a benzo. We disagree about the drinking. My feeling is that if treatment works he will reduce the drinking on his own. Demanding that someone stop drinking is a sure way to get nowhere. Do you enjoy having somebody telling you what to do? Or does it simply make you want to rebel? I don't see telling a young man to stop drinking as being at all effective. And it wouldn't be a problem if he were to continue to drink, but did so in moderation. The problem is drinking in excess.

ollietop said:
Tell him to shut up that his dick doesn't work, if he complains again, you'll cut it off.
Sexuality is a normal part of life. Telling him that he can't have a normal part of life, especially in that exceedingly crude manner, I don't see as productive.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
My son is suffering from anxiety and depression. He turned to alcohol to help which made it worse. He is in therapy now and the therapist suggested using anxiety/depression meds along with his therapy.

Wellbutrin is a great medication for depression, but DO NOT mix it with alcohol. The mix can be lethal and can cause seizures. I think your son should totally abstain from alcohol if he wants medication treatment. SSRIs are the safest route, but not the most effective.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Wellbutrin is a great medication for depression, but DO NOT mix it with alcohol. The mix can be lethal and can cause seizures. I think your son should totally abstain from alcohol if he wants medication treatment. SSRIs are the safest route, but not the most effective.
Mixing alcohol & Wellbutrin isn't going to kill anyone. I'm sure I was drinking in moderation when I was on Wellbutrin some years back. Welcome to the real world where drinking is quite a common activity. You can tell people not to drink, but such demands have a very low compliance rate.

The problem of quitting drinking cold turkey & Wellbutrin is that they both increase the risk of seizures. There's no great risk in drinking while on Wellbutrin though, so I'd say let him drink if he wants to and let him slowly taper off when he feels the time is right. Like I've said before, if treatment works and his anxiety goes down, I would imagine that he'd drink less on his own without you having to hound him to drink less. As a mother, you probably already know quite well how ineffectual hounding your son to do anything is. Putting pressure on him to stop drinking will just make him rebel against treatment and that's the last thing you want. Sure, you'd love it if your son didn't drink at all, but this is life and in life we typically don't get all that what want. We can only hope that he moderates his drinking on his own. And if he doesn't, well, that's most unfortunate.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Mixing alcohol & Wellbutrin isn't going to kill anyone. I'm sure I was drinking in moderation when I was on Wellbutrin some years back. Welcome to the real world where drinking is quite a common activity. You can tell people not to drink, but such demands have a very low compliance rate.

The problem of quitting drinking cold turkey & Wellbutrin is that they both increase the risk of seizures. There's no great risk in drinking while on Wellbutrin though, so I'd say let him drink if he wants to and let him slowly taper off when he feels the time is right. Like I've said before, if treatment works and his anxiety goes down, I would imagine that he'd drink less on his own without you having to hound him to drink less. As a mother, you probably already know quite well how ineffectual hounding your son to do anything is. Putting pressure on him to stop drinking will just make him rebel against treatment and that's the last thing you want. Sure, you'd love it if your son didn't drink at all, but this is life and in life we typically don't get all that what want. We can only hope that he moderates his drinking on his own. And if he doesn't, well, that's most unfortunate.
I agree to a bit that I was a little coarse with the alcohol and Wellbutrin argument. I just wanted the man to know that the epileptogenic potential of Bupropion is there especially mixed with alcohol. Giving his son's prior history with alcohol he should know.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
It would really be best if your son did the digging on his own. There is so much to know and there are a lot of anxiety/depression sufferers on this forum and others like it. Encourage him, but remember it is his journey. :)

At that age it meant a lot to me to know that my parents were proud of me. Actually, it still does.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts