Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just finished at university at the worst possible time to get a job in my sector. I may have a slight chance of being offered a job that is way below my qualifications and would not be enough for me to continue with my plans to get married next year. Having spoken to my partner today I have a feeling that her patience could eventially wear thin, if i continue to struggle finding a job that might sustain a family. I might have to start looking at other careers, but I'm not sure what i can do without the appropriate qualifications.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
That is pretty bad that your fiancee is doing that to you, unless you think she is doing this to you. I would think that she would stand by you no matter what. Life has its ups and downs and so does marriage.

·
Fun...Fluid...Formidable
7,159 Posts
Excellent question. Being happy in your work may be more important to you than getting married right now. If so, I can relate big time.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Excellent question. Being happy in your work may be more important to you than getting married right now. If so, I can relate big time.
hear hear!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I feel your pain about the job situation. I recently got done with undergrad as well, and there is no demand for my field in my area right now...we have a state and local governemnt hiring freeze. My name was on the job register prior to the freeze in december, but now they are saying it may be next year before they can start hiring again. No one in the private sector is going to hire someone trained for public admin, so I am pretty screwed at the moment. I decided to do my masters that way at least I will have a leg up when this situation gets better. and it WILL get better. :mum

you should think about other options...sometimes a quick technical program can get you more money than a bachelors degree in a field where you are not needed, i am considering a 9 month physical therapy program - there is a large demand here.

as for your marriage, why do you have to wait until you get the perfect job? yeah i know people want to be established before they start their lives, but it can still work. my husband and I both worked retail when we got married, rented a small apartment, and didn't have a lot of material crap, but a least we were together. we since moved to a better place, but we still rent. yes, it will be quite a while before we buy a house, but that is ok too.

what is it that she said that made you think her patience could wear thin? how long have you been engaged? also, how old is she?
she was probably just dissapointed at the marriage possibly being pushed back (i know i would have been upset), maybe just have a heart to heart. you CAN sustain a family if you truly want to, it just may not be in a way that you hoped.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I never wanted some big expensive wedding so getting married and my job status would have little in common. I dont see why the wedding has to wait.

·
Frostie
1,035 Posts
you should think about other options...sometimes a quick technical program can get you more money than a bachelors degree in a field where you are not needed, i am considering a 9 month physical therapy program - there is a large demand here.
I did this. Got a bachelor's degree, couldn't get a job, went back to school for 9 months and got an associate's degree in a more employable field. As soon as I finish, the economy collapses. So here I sit with two college degrees and can't get a job.

Recession ruining you life? Join the club, I'm sorry to say.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
So far I am doing okay. I was glad I paid my house off in 2002. I also don't have any student loans to pay back, own my vehicle out right, and have no credit card debt. But I work at a place that relies on state medicaid dollars which are probably going to be deep cuts due to the factories shutting downstate. There will be less tax revenue.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
I did this. Got a bachelor's degree, couldn't get a job, went back to school for 9 months and got an associate's degree in a more employable field. As soon as I finish, the economy collapses. So here I sit with two college degrees and can't get a job.

Have you consider becoming a Nurse? There is a high demand for Nurses. My mother has been a Nurse since 1980 and my brother is a Nurse in the Air Force. He makes pretty good money, Air Force pays for his housing, food, and he has very good health benefits.

·
Banned
791 Posts
Getting married right away isn't always the most important thing in the world. Most women are happy to wait. Or you guys could just sign a marriage certificate and have the ceremony in the future when you can afford it. (i dont know how that works in the Uk)

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for your replies. The problem is my fiance is a non EU resident and it will take a while before she can get a half decent job here in the UK, which means there is a greater burden on me being able to support us both. She will have to sacrifice a lot in terms of career and family to move here permeanently, so I can sort of understand if she might get a little concerned if i don't get a good job.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thank you for your replies. The problem is my fiance is a non EU resident and it will take a while before she can get a half decent job here in the UK, which means there is a greater burden on me being able to support us both. She will have to sacrifice a lot in terms of career and family to move here permeanently, so I can sort of understand if she might get a little concerned if i don't get a good job.
oh. that changes everything. sorry. =(

·
Registered
257 Posts

Amen to that. I have three college degrees and can't get a job. I should have been a Nurse :roll

1 - 14 of 14 Posts