Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Received a silver quarter in change this a.m.

941 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  slyfox 
#1 ·
I went to Commie Mart this morning to buy some groceries. Well the lady drops a quarter and dime into my hand. I wasn't paying attention when I heard the distinct sound that a silver coin makes. I thought for a moment she gave me a Canadian coin. But when I looked it was a 1964 Washington quarter. I was so giddy I almost forgot to take my brown rice until the cashier reminded me that I should grab it. I didn't say anything, and got the heck out of there. :lol Some kid must of got into grandpa's coin jar. :lol This is like winning the lottery. The last time I seen a silver coin given to someone in change was a client at work that got a silver quarter out of the pop machine. Then before that way back in highschool someone in my class got a silver quarter for change out of a pop machine. Must of the silver coins were melted down by silver profiteers after the Hunt brothers corner the silver market in the late 1970's. I remember my dad looking through the cupboards where he threw all of his change for silver ones but didn't find one at that time. Silver was going for $50 then. My mom was making $6 as a Nurse Des Moines General Hospital at that time.

#2 ·
Years ago when I worked in Vegas and there was still coin machines, you would be amazed at how many types of currency we would see. Old, old bills, even silver notes would be traded in for face value. I have a bunch of silver quarters from that time. And some really old coins. You would be shocked at what people trade in to gamble. :eek The employees were allowed to buy it off the drawer at the end of their shift, also at face value.

#3 ·
Wow, sweet.

#4 ·
Congrats! There are actually people who coin roll hunt. I do this occasionally. All I have found are wheat pennies, an old canadian penny, and a coin from Malaysia. Silver quarters are one of the hardest coins to find coin roll hunting, because people spot them so easily. I once found a silver quarter while metal detecting.

#6 ·
Like I said a lot of the pre '64 coins were melted down by silver profiteers in the late 1970's when the Hunt brothers cornered the silver market sending silver up to $50 per ounce.

#8 ·
It's about $14 an ounce these days. I bought three some time ago and the price hasn't fallen :stu.

#9 ·
It's down to $11.83 per ounce as of Friday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.