Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Life sucks
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 brothers. 2 of which I haven't spoken too for going on a year. 1 calls all the time but I rarely speak to him, I avoid him on purpose.

I'm starting to answer the phone more and talk to him a bit more. Maybe in a week or 2, I'd like to start calling him and talk to him once a week or so on my own terms and not just his. We have our problems, arguments, everything but we are family and I'm starting to realize we only live once and we have to make the best of it.

I just fear that when I start calling him, he'll say, wow, what made you start calling. Guess being honest would be the best way to go about answering that at this point.

The other 2 I don't know how or when to start rebuilding the bridge with them. Its a very akward and upsetting circumstance, but we're all getting older and years seem to going faster and faster. I guess building a relationship with 1 first is the first step.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
A year isnt that bad; in my case try over a decade. I am trying to remedy that now.

Do yourself a favor and work on those fam relationships. They are the most important you will ever have and you dont want to miss out on that. :hug

·
Life sucks
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I completely agree with you. If I can't manage a relationship with family members, I'll never be able to manage friends if I ever have one besides the internet. Baby steps it is :b

A decade is a very long time indeed, I am reaching that stage with my father, i've spoken to him about 3 times overs the last 10 years, and not within the last 5 years or so. Hes overseas and has another family, he ditched us when I was about 4 or so. It goes alot deeper into why I don't and haven't spoken to him, but in short, hes a wife beater/abuser according to my mother, but I have not witnessed any of it because most of it apparently occured before I was born. Sometimes I even question myself how much of it is true, which I know is horrible and I don't like believing it. I sometimes feel I was used as a pawn growing up.

Best of luck to you as well, keep us updated on how it goes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts