Votes: 7 26.9%

Votes: 5 19.2%

Votes: 1 3.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
SUS Member
10,507 Posts
Small town full of homophobic ******** and nothing to do? I'm gonna say about a 3. I hated every moment I spent there and never want to go back, but it's not like it was a warzone or anything.

·
📝📸🎬💾🎲&#991
6,572 Posts
"Hometown" is ambiguous, I took it to mean where I live now. I give it a 6 or 7, mainly for proximity to the neighboring town which I'd give a 9. The town where I spent my first 20 years gets a 3.

·
Super Moderator
33,658 Posts
I'm thinking "hometown" is where I was born.

I'm giving it a 5 because it's an interesting place but it's not really a very good place to live.

·
SAS Member
8800 blue lick road
41,964 Posts
I think globally 4-6 by UK standards probably 1.5/2 it's been somewhat infamous in the media for bad things™ and strangers from elsewhere would express sympathy when learning where I was from. I could list off some messed up things, but feel like being vague.

·
Self isolating from self
3,002 Posts
3/10. It's a little piece of nothing that has slowly gotten worse over the years.

·
Socializing with myself
4,962 Posts
1/10. The city I was born in is filled with a lot of emotional people that are seeking attention, because the people in their household aren't giving them any real attention.

·
Loathed Loiterer
7,856 Posts
7/10. Not much to do, but relatively clean, peaceful quiet suburbia, lots of green spaces and parks, trails and faux beaches, great weather near year round. With a car, it's relatively quick to get to nearby cities that have more to do. Without a car, you're mostly stuck here without much to do but stare at ducks, step on duck poop and agitate Nextdoor baby boomers by strolling past their front yards. Crime has always been low until recent years when it saw sharp spikes, being sandwiched between two crime riddled major cities.

·
Super Moderator
33,658 Posts
I'm thinking "hometown" is where I was born.

I'm giving it a 5 because it's an interesting place but it's not really a very good place to live.
If I'm rating the place I live now, I guess it would also be a five because there are pros and cons...

I'm pretty sure the crime isn't that bad but it is near a high crime area and some of it can spill over into this area at times. And also, sometimes people from the high crime area "move up" into this area and bring the high crime mentality with them.

It's close to pretty decent shopping and you can find just about anything around here.

It's not a good place to live if you like to walk. Seems like most of the people who live around here have vehicles and you don't see many people walking.

The roads around here are not the safest. Drivers completely ignore the speed limit and most traffic laws and I have seen some horrendous "accidents" (is it really an accident if the people were just plain stupid?). I didn't see them happen but (for example) I once saw a full sized SUV upside down about 15 feet off the side of the road. They must have been doing something pretty crazy for that to happen in good weather.

A lot of people around here are pretty rude and/or not friendly at all. If you say hi or something they give you a mean look and don't speak.

This is not a great place to live if you like things to be done right. I am not sure what it is but I noticed it shortly after we moved here. Things are just not as "professional" here as they are elsewhere. People who build houses here will always do minor little things wrong in every aspect of the process of building them. The medical care here is shoddy and unprofessional. Most of the doctors around here act like they have never been to medical school and also act like they don't want to do anything. It's almost impossible to find a mechanic who won't break your car more than they will fix it.

Rent is sky high. Which I guess is not unusual almost anywhere in the US now. Rent is outrageous everywhere and has been for a long time.

The roads are usually in rough shape and traffic is heavy pretty much all the time. When road work is being done, it just makes things worse because the heavy traffic doesn't let up for road work. So if a couple of lanes are closed, the wait times are unbearable.

It's fairly quiet here if you're off the main roads.

If you have a car and a decent job, life is pretty easy here.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I rated it a one. I grew up living in a small village full of small minded people that didn't like anyone outside their little clique. Plus, there wasn't much to do and if you wanted to do something you must have a car to go somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I would say a 3. Town of about 15 thousand in the midwest. Not much job wise. Lots of abusive A holes. Lots of drugs and drinking.

·
bipolar
16,781 Posts
I grew up in Sydney but I think of Melbourne as home now - I gave them both an 8. Good cities to live, not too big and not too small, close to Asia, reasonably safe etc. I think Melbourne used to win the most livable city sometimes - it's got a great cafe culture here that's for sure. (in non Covid times that is - although I went today, they're starting to open back up)

·
Just a bit stitious
3,614 Posts
1 / 10....my hometown is where I live now....where I have always lived. It is a depressing, soul crushing place (and it was long before Covid came along) with lots of unfriendly people, horrendous weather for about 8 months of the year...just to name a few. To be fair, it isn’t just my area...the state I live in as a whole is an unbelievably awful place for lots of reasons!

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
My particular neighborhoods, a 9 - very low or no crime, non-flood area, rent is low compared to what I hear of, enough stores and restaurants. Some other parts of Pittsburgh I definitely wouldn't want to be in, but this is a good area.

·
Karmically Cryptic
Wonder
836 Posts
Home town where I grew up 8 but does it really matter when home life was 1.5?

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
Gave it an 8 but it's getting too big and the traffic is a mess because of all the California refugees moving here.

·
SAS Member
4,243 Posts

Relatively nice but fook all to do, even in none lockdown times. Still its near Preston, Manchester, Blackpool and Lancaster. I went there for meet-ups before the pandemic.

·
alien monk
8,438 Posts
where I grew up? 0/10 is how I feel about it. compared to other towns in this country well maybe 7/10.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
7/10

Small town but takes care of it's healthcare etc quite well.
Relatively much unemployment, but still decent opportunities.

not all public services are done well, though (roads are so **** here, like holy hell. Especially during winter...)
School is pretty alright; our upper secondary school does quite a bit better than average, despite of being a small school with constant problem with funding.
They also have a lot of activity on the sports side (despite of being only 20k inhabitants!), and you can do almost any sport in the town. There's a lot of sports fields that are taken care of by the city, that you can use for free. There's also some opportunities for free sports for kids.

On the downside, there's a lot of druggies and alcoholics; there's at least 4 areas in the town where they commonly reside. (It being a small town, that's a lot).

·
Permanently tired
1,952 Posts

There's a wide variety of restaurants with pretty good food, but I hate the weather and lack of natural scenery (Too many highways, not enough sidewalks.) You have to drive to get to pretty much anywhere and the public transportation is awful. I've lived here most of my life, so I've gotten used to it, but I still can't wait to be able to leave for somewhere more urban and that feels more European-like. The only areas like that in this city are in downtown but they are more expensive (and supposedly dangerous) to live in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts