Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
7001 - 7018 of 7018 Posts

· Registered
Crawling out
431 Posts
The more I experience going to the dentist, the more I seriously consider becoming a dental hygienist or an orthodontist. Seems like a pretty relaxed job. The terrified patients can't even talk to you because their mouths are being worked on :sneaky:. My tiny hands will finally be of use by easily sliding into the depths of their mouths! The dental assistants on the other hand are quite the chatty bunch though, often trying to break the silence with the more serious hygienist/orthodontist. Lastly, you get to cover your face with a mask for some anonymity. Oh and the salary is quite nice as well.

· Registered
1,590 Posts
People are noticing how anxious and panicky I am at my cleaning job. I keep getting comments about it and I don't know if they're particularly malicious comments, but people just keep saying "woah slow down!"
From experience of cleaning a hospital they just expect you to do too much. You cannot do so much and do it to the standard required. It's worse cleaning around patients too because they always want to talk and that slows things down. I time a supervisor came round and was telling me that I hadn't done something and I just said in a sad, stressed tone "I haven't got time to get it all done" infront of a patient.

· Registered
358 Posts
From experience of cleaning a hospital they just expect you to do too much. You cannot do so much and do it to the standard required. It's worse cleaning around patients too because they always want to talk and that slows things down. I time a supervisor came round and was telling me that I hadn't done something and I just said in a sad, stressed tone "I haven't got time to get it all done" infront of a patient.
Thanks, I'm glad it isn't just me who's had this experience with it. They are always wheeling patients in and out in beds, so there's no opportunity to actually get in the rooms and clean. So idk really. It's basically impossible to get it all done, even when I am fuelled by Monster energy drinks and running round like a headless chicken. Even a lady who has been working there 34 years said don't try to get it all done.

The nurses are all really busy. So patients in the waiting room at the clinics have to ask the cleaners for help with things, like being wheeled around in their chairs and help eating and stuff. Happy to help of course but it does take away time from what you're supposed to be doing.

· Dogra Magra
3,849 Posts
Uh h hhh I feel like the nerd sitting at the "cool kids" table at work every day. I'm starting to feel like these extraverts don't do as much work or learn as much info as the socially awkward geeky guys at my previous workplace. I almost never see them sit quietly for more than 5 minutes unless the boss is around and in one of his "moods".

Something I've noticed is they are all very good at spitballing and can talk at length on command about nothing. I have one coworker that works at a lightning pace and they're always asking her stuff that I feel like they can just read/search up on by themselves. My boss keeps telling me to make a good wiki and document everything because he knows it's one of my strengths, but in my head I'm thinking like, "These guys are not going to read it lol."

Sometimes I ask one of them a question and they go on a super long info dump, usually about how some other person dropped the ball and made their work a hell. I'm just kind of nodding along thinking, "That's not what I asked, get to the point lol." I'm almost scared to ask them in-depth, precise questions (also one of my strengths), because I'm worried that it might be something they don't know and that would be awkward.

I feel like this is one of those places were everyone has too much life outside of work to give a R's A about doing a good job. At this point I can't really tell if the quality of the work is actually high or if they just talk a very good talk, maybe a mix of both.

What's clear to me is that folks whose brains are people-oriented operate in a whole different way from those of us who are task-oriented. They catch a lot of things that I miss, and vice versa. I just wish it wasn't so draining.

· Registered
308 Posts
Uh h hhh I feel like the nerd sitting at the "cool kids" table at work every day. I'm starting to feel like these extraverts don't do as much work or learn as much info as the socially awkward geeky guys at my previous workplace. I almost never see them sit quietly for more than 5 minutes unless the boss is around and in one of his "moods".

Something I've noticed is they are all very good at spitballing and can talk at length on command about nothing. I have one coworker that works at a lightning pace and they're always asking her stuff that I feel like they can just read/search up on by themselves. My boss keeps telling me to make a good wiki and document everything because he knows it's one of my strengths, but in my head I'm thinking like, "These guys are not going to read it lol."

Sometimes I ask one of them a question and they go on a super long info dump, usually about how some other person dropped the ball and made their work a hell. I'm just kind of nodding along thinking, "That's not what I asked, get to the point lol." I'm almost scared to ask them in-depth, precise questions (also one of my strengths), because I'm worried that it might be something they don't know and that would be awkward.

I feel like this is one of those places were everyone has too much life outside of work to give a R's A about doing a good job. At this point I can't really tell if the quality of the work is actually high or if they just talk a very good talk, maybe a mix of both.

What's clear to me is that folks whose brains are people-oriented operate in a whole different way from those of us who are task-oriented. They catch a lot of things that I miss, and vice versa. I just wish it wasn't so draining.
bless you because that sounds like a nightmare

· Dogra Magra
3,849 Posts
bless you because that sounds like a nightmare
Well i mean, i sort of expected some degree of not fitting in. i just underestimated how hyperactive and shouty my coworkers would be lol.
before this i was in a rut of being super isolated and wasting away in my last job, and not knowing how to pull myself out of it. So I picked the lesser of two evils, I guess.
The main thing now is if my stress levels don't come back down to a baseline soon, i worry that my health will suffer.

· Registered
308 Posts
Well i mean, i sort of expected some degree of not fitting in. i just underestimated how hyperactive and shouty my coworkers would be lol.
before this i was in a rut of being super isolated and wasting away in my last job, and not knowing how to pull myself out of it. So I picked the lesser of two evils, I guess.
The main thing now is if my stress levels don't come back down to a baseline soon, i worry that my health will suffer.
Have you ever tried breathing sessions and meditation type practices? If so, how did they work out for you? As far as helping with stress.

· Dogra Magra
3,849 Posts
Have you ever tried breathing sessions and meditation type practices? If so, how did they work out for you? As far as helping with stress.
I have and they do help relax me. But I have a hard time doing them consistently. I have a hard time sticking to anything without external force or structure. There was a period of time when I was meditating for 2 hours a day and reading lots of spiritual books and feeling super great, but I didn't have a full-time job back then. You can't win lol.

· Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks, I'm glad it isn't just me who's had this experience with it. They are always wheeling patients in and out in beds, so there's no opportunity to actually get in the rooms and clean. So idk really. It's basically impossible to get it all done, even when I am fuelled by Monster energy drinks and running round like a headless chicken. Even a lady who has been working there 34 years said don't try to get it all done.

The nurses are all really busy. So patients in the waiting room at the clinics have to ask the cleaners for help with things, like being wheeled around in their chairs and help eating and stuff. Happy to help of course but it does take away time from what you're supposed to be doing.
Woah, I never got asked to wheel patients around or help people eat. That would take up even more time. Sounds incredibly stressful!

Yeah I think the only way to survive in a job like that is to not care so much unfortunately. Management in those places expect too much :(

· Registered
358 Posts
Woah, I never got asked to wheel patients around or help people eat. That would take up even more time. Sounds incredibly stressful!

Yeah I think the only way to survive in a job like that is to not care so much unfortunately. Management in those places expect too much :(
The nurses like to park patients in wheelchairs right in front of our cleaning cupboard, so we have to keep wheeling them out of the way. Whilst trying not to slam them directly into a wall like I always nearly manage to.

They also like to give cake (or whatever they've got spare) to the patients who haven't eaten for a long time which is nice, but I guess eating cake in a wheelchair when you're 80 years old isn't easy so we have to help them out sometimes.

The nurses work for the NHS, but the cleaners work for an on-site facilities company (with none of the perks of being a full NHS employee) so there's a bit of a disconnect there.

· aldehyde dehydrogenaser
8,309 Posts
Soon, I'll go back to work. I just wish we did more fun stuff. Like have a lunch of sorts, to be inspired somehow. Maybe have a trivia night or play bingo once in a while. One therapist in the past was like, "that's why it's called work and not fun.."
Well in that case, that's why it's called the fifth circle of hell and not freedom 😂

· Super Moderator
10,240 Posts
I had an individual project pretty much completed at 99.99%. But then I made a very very last second absent minded mistake and that mistake singlehandedly made me having to redo most of the project. It's been about a week since and I'm still beating myself over it. At least for now, this is something I can keep to myself without others knowing.

· Dogra Magra
3,849 Posts
It's past 1 am and I'm wide awake not wanting to go to sleep because tomorrow is Monday back to work day. Feels a bit like knowing you're gonna die tomorrow and clinging to your last day on earth not wanting it to end lol. I have serious thoughts of quitting my job and just doing nothing - by which I mean, working part time flexibly, and spending the extra spare time on therapy, self care, going to parks, galleries, theatre, travels, fitness classes, art classes, join clubs, eat at good restaurants,...

I have some savings that could last me a couple of years easy (probably longer with the part time income), and I am unattached with no dependents. It's not like I'm tied down by responsibilities like other people my age with young kids and whatnot. I don't know why I'm so scared of the thought of quitting with no "back-up plan". If the back-up plan is another job that sticks me in a cubicle (or chains me to my laptop) for the best parts of the week, then wtf is the point of living?

Sometimes I almost feel like homelessness would be preferable, or getting into a car accident and losing a limb or something, because at least it would jolt me out of my rut and really force me to live differently. But maybe I'm just being stupid.

· Registered
1,590 Posts
The other day at work I spoke with someone who really cares a lot about the environment and it was really good to talk to someone that actually gives a you know what haha. I probably did their head in when I was telling them loads of things that were going on at the place we work at that they'll probably hide when they hear me coming 😆

· Super Moderator
10,240 Posts
I had an individual project pretty much completed at 99.99%. But then I made a very very last second absent minded mistake and that mistake singlehandedly made me having to redo most of the project. It's been about a week since and I'm still beating myself over it. At least for now, this is something I can keep to myself without others knowing.
With some luck involved, I manage to complete it a few hours ago. 🙌

· Registered
358 Posts
Two ladies at my work had a very heated disagreement this evening. :oops: The word that starts with b and rhymes with 'itch' was in frequent use. It was getting pretty vocal and unpleasant so I snuck out before the inevitable fist fight started.

I hope they make up and become friends again. It's not my business what caused their falling out but I will pray that things are sorted out amicably between them.

7001 - 7018 of 7018 Posts