Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
6781 - 6800 of 6808 Posts

·
Sas user
4,027 Posts
Ive thought this for a long time now but the manager who sits opposite me and the coworker next to him have a relationship that reminds me of my parents. its bizzare. He is quiet and she is just as quiet half the time but when they interact she will talk a lot and comes close to scolding him. He is already married though.

I am very uncomfortable talking to either of them or just talking around them. it feels like they are judging me. which i guess is probably how people feel around me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
A client asked for the people working on their project to submit CVs. We don't know why. Others whipped theirs out fast, but I didn't have one, so had to half-*** one. It didn't have to be pretty, just the basics. So perhaps I should just revise it and send it out to the job I've been considering, get it over with and get the hell out of this place.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Not sure how I feel about having a supervisor twenty years younger...guess it makes me think about how I kind of screwed up my career path.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I would say before that I was "running on empty" with this job, but according to the "Seinfeld" episode where Kramer and the used car dealer are taking Jerry's prospective car on a test ride and finding out how far they can go with no gas, you can still go for a while. Today I'm just about at the point in the episode with this job where the gas level needle has broken off and the car is just coming to a complete stop. I have nothing else to give. I have no energy even to put thought towards some things with this job. What worries me is that I wouldn't have any energy with another job. Ideally I'd take a break from any job for a while, but I'm concerned about insurance and also being able to be hired after a voluntary break.

I was looking at this lower level job that I'm interested in not because of anything about the job, but because of the schedule. The company has several listings for the same job, but they have different ID numbers. In past entries for this job, they had the hours of the job listed; different entries had different hours. So if I'd apply, I wouldn't know what schedule structure I'd be applying for.

·
Self isolating from self
3,580 Posts
Kid, you shouldn't say that to anybody working here, or to virtually anybody in any work place. They will either laugh in you face, or call you a lazy POS.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I've been in the supervisory/managerial position for a few years, but never too involved in hiring until late last year. We rarely hire anyone as far as the people I supervise and never let anyone go either (although I don't know why they stay). However, in the last month we hired two people where it was the first time I had looked at resumes and initiated that they'd be the people we'll look at and hire. The job we hired for is very low tiered as far as an "office" job (even though they work from home). So we're not looking for rocket scientists or whatever. However, I think I am just not good at hiring because even though I and a co-worker who also interviewed them thought they'd be good, at least one of the two women we hired isn't working out. You tell her something, and it's like a sieve even when it's right on the page in front of her. Her computer skills are also very low. It's only been a few days, and I'm trying to work with her. She's super nice and seems to want to make this work. However, I went with availability rather than skill.

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Our good direct care staff in the group homes are leaving. Now we got the idiots working. I never saw a group of people that needed so much training in my life. We have to constantly hover over them. Do they want us to go over to the houses to work while they sit on the couch playing with their phones? I wish I could retire.

·
We all wear a mask.
1,827 Posts
I don't know how it is elsewhere but as it pertains to my line of work, it feels as though the system is collapsing.

The company has made some questionable decisions that have gravely affected worker morale to the point where it almost seems irreparable yet there is another aspect to this "collapse" that I find much more peculiar.

Two things can be true at once right? Yeah the company sucks but the workers themselves are giving no effort from the get go to be decent workers. They take elongated breaks, forgo doing any job task they deem irrelevant, and are overall just flat-out lazy even as it pertains to doing simple things.

The new hires tend to come in and many have voiced to me, in one way or another, that they feel as though they don't have to do anything at work. The ones that have been there a few years or more completely blame the company for their lack of work ethic instead of taking any responsibility for themselves.

My superiors don't seems to care at all even when notified of the problems in the workplace.

My coworkers usually leave me all of the tasks to complete myself yet still have the audacity to feel as though they deserve a paycheck.

Working for this company certainly feels like I am on a sinking ship

·
Sas user
4,027 Posts
At the beginning of every month i check to see who is resigning that month. The company has a list of resignations and new hires. I thought there wouldnt be any this month since there is the year end bonus but still 1 from my department is leaving. So many have left this year.
I also noticed my managers wife who works in another department is also leaving. This makes it more likely that one of my managers will leave, and if he does that will be a big hit to morale. He has a taken a lot of leave this month so its likely they are for interviews. my other manager is already swamped with work.
I also plan to start looking for a new job in January.

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
At the beginning of every month i check to see who is resigning that month. The company has a list of resignations and new hires. I thought there wouldnt be any this month since there is the year end bonus but still 1 from my department is leaving. So many have left this year.
I also noticed my managers wife who works in another department is also leaving. This makes it more likely that one of my managers will leave, and if he does that will be a big hit to morale. He has a taken a lot of leave this month so its likely they are for interviews. my other manager is already swamped with work.
I also plan to start looking for a new job in January.

I think my boss is finally going to retire. He has been cutting his caseload down and doesn't want to take anything new. He is in cruising mode now. He is leaving to visit his family in Iran tomorrow and comes back in January, but I and the other guy in my department think he will retire at least next spring or early summer. The one guy in my department says he is going to retire too if this happens and I think I may have to myself. I can't take over due to I only have a BA and he is a licensed Psychologist. My luck they will hire someone younger than me to take over that wants to work everyone to death. I will have to roll what pension I have built up into an IRA due to avoid being hit with the 10% penalty and taxes for taking it out before I am 59. Too bad I am not 54. If I was I would get my health insurance for ten years.

·
Just a bit stitious
5,389 Posts
Found out that my company has no plans to bring us back into the office and that working from home is more than likely going to be permanent. Not thrilled with this especially because my current living situation is less than ideal and I am really struggling with motivation and effort of late.

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Found out that my company has no plans to bring us back into the office and that working from home is more than likely going to be permanent. Not thrilled with this especially because my current living situation is less than ideal and I am really struggling with motivation and effort of late.
Yeah, it must be hard when you don't have a decent setup at home. I live in my own house with my two cats so it isn't much of a problem. But I like doing a hybrid system of doing some days at home and going into the office other days. Since June I have been going in to meet with clients two days per week, but not spending a full 8 hours there. We have to wear masks in the office where we share which I do. My office partner and I don't want to sit there all day wearing masks. She has been breaking out on her face. There is another office I could use but it is a windowless closet. I spent 5 years in that office and don't want to move back there. So far the executive director is allowing me and my supervisor to do this. Pretty much everyone else has returned to the office but they have their own offices.

Reactions: Citrine79

·
Just a bit stitious
5,389 Posts
I really don’t much care for my job and should use this as motivation to find a new one but job searching at this time is not a good idea as my mental health is terrible right now and there are some other reasons why it is not a good idea. I don’t know what to do as I am miserable and can’t take much more of this…especially now in winter where my anxiety is much higher.

·
aldehyde dehydrogenaser
7,587 Posts
^^I can relate. The feeling of not wanting to be at work is just immense for me personally. I think it's better than nothing however. It takes a lot of courage to change. I think I'm stuck here until my mental health goes to crap and I cant cope anymore. Maybe. Basically I have to want to be here. I guess I'm just squirreling away my savings in the meantime.

·
Sas user
4,027 Posts
i will be on leave the whole of next week. i think the manager may be leaving earlier than i thought... another assistant manager is transferring over. They also have been omitting a guy who transferred back a month ago, i think he decided to leave as well. I dont care about him though, hes the type who will take days off when its the busy period. Ill have to step up my plans to leave, starting next week. just because i tend to procrastinate.

I dont why they do this, the assistant manager seemed happy enough where they were. Now theyve transferred over to the department where everyone leaves. Many of their friends have already left. i give it 6 months tops before they leave too.

·
Just a bit stitious
5,389 Posts
Ever since I found out that I will be working from home permanently…I have been struggling. I don’t do well at this time of the year to begin with and more added misery from work isn’t helping. Things have slowed down and there is not as much work coming in so I have to stretch out the work I do have for the entire day. Again…been in this position many times since we began working at home. Communications with my boss continue to be iffy at best so I end up just sitting there staring into space by the end of the day and wasting as much time as oossible during the day because there just isn’t enough to do.

·
Wilco Tango Foxtrot!
4,015 Posts
Erm...about a year ago I joined the safety committee at work to get over my fear of public speaking (Exposure Therapy)! We used to do bi-weekly safety demo's alas because of the coof we can't do them anymore. The first in person demo me and another guy did in front of the entire shop (he was as anxious as I was!) was on ladders!

Fast forward a year and I'm co-chair of the safety committee at work until told otherwise! We do a site-wide safety inspections once a month throughout the shops and yard (we have a checklist and a margin for notes!) It's not the exposure therapy I wanted alas exposure therapy is exposure therapy! 😅

6781 - 6800 of 6808 Posts