Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
I quit my construction job on Tuesday and I start CDL school tomorrow. It's six weeks plus a two month internship right after. If all goes well I should be able to land a $40-50/year truck driving job before the year is over. Hopefully never have to work for minimum wage again.

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
I went and took the tests for my CDL HAZMAT and tanker endorsements yesterday and passed. Will open doors for better paying jobs. I feel a little bad for leaving my current one as they've been pretty good to me, but I'm ready to make more money.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
I start a new job a week from Monday. Pretty much double my current salary. Only downside is it's night shift with no possibility of ever going to days. Since I have no reason to ever be up in the day I can switch my schedule over to nights even on days off, so shouldn't be too bad once I get used to it. Plus I'll be driving at night making deliveries to unattended businesses, so unless there's a problem I'll never have to talk to anyone. It's an hour away, so I'll be looking for a cheap temporary apartment soon until I decide I like the job and find something more permanent.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
I'm supposed to start my new job Monday, hopefully it's not affected by all this. Still working at my current job for now.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
I start my new job this evening. I stayed up all night Friday to start getting on my new schedule of waking up in the afternoon and staying up till morning. Hoping I like it and can get used to it because the salary and benefits are great.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
First night at my new job went well. It's a pretty easy job for what it pays. So far I'm just not adapting to sleeping in the day though. I got home about 6:30am this morning and went to sleep a little after 7am and was awake and unable to go back to sleep by 11am. I'm feeling pretty rough and have to go back in a couple hours. I'm hoping in the coming weeks I'll start being able to stay asleep longer.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
I've been delivering for Amazon 1 year now. Good job, boring job. I usually get to the warehouse 30 minutes early and that's the only socializing I do with people outside my family. Nothing meaningful though. Just acquaintances.
I just got on with a fairly large trucking company a month ago. I deliver automotive products to stores after hours. Like pallets of antifreeze or windshield wiper fluid and also random other loose products. Night shift, start at 7pm and takes about ten hours. Same stores every night. Mostly rural areas and back country highways, so very little traffic at night.

It's similar with very little socializing. I get there 30 minutes early to get my truck ready, might briefly say hello to other drivers and after that I don't talk to anyone else the rest of my shift. I like it though, not having to deal with a boss or coworkers. I go through a lot of audiobooks to pass the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
Sounds good. How do you like driving semi trucks?
Semi trucks can be a little nerve racking. The route I'm driving uses a straight truck though, a 2019 Freightliner with a 28' box and automatic transmission. It's really not bad to drive. Just have to be aware it's a large vehicle and take turns wide and be careful backing into places.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
Turned into the wrong lot yesterday and it was so tight that I had to partially go in the grass area to make a 3 point turn. Got stuck in the mud. Now I'm off the schedule until they do a review. I've been at this Amazon DSP for one year without any issues, so hopefully they don't fire me. 12 months and one mistake could flush all that goodwill down the drain.
That really sucks. I worry about stuff like that working for this big company now because we're just a number to places like these. Hope you get to keep your job.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
The biggest box truck I drove was an 18 foot automatic that didn't require a CDL. I know I'm limiting the number of driving jobs I qualify for, but I'm ok with less money and less stress. Lately I've run out of things to listen to in the van though.Sometimes it gets mentally draining when you have no one to talk to and there's nothing to stimulate your mind. What do you do for fun on your off days? I'm seriously considering joining a meetup group because my life is really boring and empty at the moment. This shutdown makes it even worse.
I'm going through audiobooks pretty fast. Just fiction so far, but eventually going to listen to some educational stuff as well. There's XM radio in the truck too.

Off days I'm still working out regularly. With the gyms being closed I had to buy a home gym setup. Besides that my girlfriend and I just watch a lot of TV and movies on the weekends. She works days, so we don't see each other much during the week. Friday and Saturday she stays up all night with me. Sunday she has to go to bed early and I use that night being up alone to do laundry and prep all my food for the week. Then just browse the internet and spend time with my two cats until bedtime.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
I'm starting a new route the week after next. Shifts will be 8-9 hours instead of 10-12 and the pay will be higher. Really looking forward to shorter work days. Still have to deal with the hour drive each way a little longer until I get moved hopefully before the end of August.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
We're meeting our new manager tonight. Our old one died suddenly back in June and we've had a temp since. Hopefully he's cool.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
I'm broke down in the middle of nowhere and waiting for a tow and substitute truck to get here. Then have to transfer all my cargo to the substitute truck and then deliver it all. Going to be a long night.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
SO - where in America are you?
SA will be playing in the highway tonight!
I'm in rural Indiana at the moment on a state highway surrounded by cornfields. There's a police officer waiting here with me. I doubt they have much else to do around here anyway. Tow truck is like ten minutes away supposedly.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
This snow is making work infinitely more difficult. Almost get stuck in my driveway leaving and coming home every day. Have to drive slower at work and walk through a foot of snow to unload anything. Pallets are really hard to move around through snow and ice. Ready for winter to be over.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
You in texas bro?

I might have to call out again today. Our place is closed but security still might be needed but my roads are bad and woke with some serious neck soreness.
I'm in Southern Illinois. We get ice and snow every year, although this is some of the worst I've ever seen.

We got Monday off with pay, but have had to work every other night. It's made for some long nights for me this week. 16 hours last night and 14 the night before.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
Supposedly we'll have a new manager starting today. The one that hired me a year ago died and we've went through two more since then with a temp in between each time. Still short a driver.

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
Supposed to have a new guy starting tomorrow. We've been understaffed since around Christmas and so far have been unable to hire a single person since that time. They also recently started offering current employees a $3k bonus if we refer a new hire and more for additional referrals. Of course I don't know anyone.

On one hand it's been nice making the extra money this year, but also feel like I've done nothing but work and sleep for months straight now. So I'm trying to look at it like either way is a win if they find some new employees or not. Either go back to 40 hour weeks and have free time again or keep making extra money.

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
Is this like a good time to look for a job, or something? I'm getting the sense that some companies are short on workers. A bowling alley near me is closed Mondays and Tuesdays due to staffing issues. I'm aware the government is enabling unemployment, so that's probably why, so should people who want a job be looking quickly before this is over?
Probably will depend on where you are and what you do. Potentially a good time to get a new job in my opinion because so much less competition with so many jobs going unfilled.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts