Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Over a year ago, our office sold off the floor our division was on and moved us up into a conference room with the salaried "higher ups." We're considered the "ruffians," so naturally anything that happens that's "messy" is automatically considered our fault. We've received general e-mails about pee on the toilet seats and Keurig cups being left in the coffeemaker, stuff like that. However, I believe the "higher ups" are responsible for these things. Of course I can't prove the pee thing, but I'm pretty sure it's not us habitually leaving the K-cups in the machine. The other day I was the only one in for the evening, and I've never had a sip of coffee in my life, and a K-cup was in the machine still when I looked. Of course it's our fault, though.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
The office I work in is very cramped, the result of our company selling off our floor. We have up to eight or nine people in a small office sometimes. Of course sometimes a smell may occur. Recently a few employees have been commenting on smells in a very lame manner. Last week people were saying that they could smell something so totally rank that it was awful. I couldn't smell it, or maybe I did when I went to another part of the room. Either way, it wasn't that awful. Someone said that a guy admitted that he had a medical problem with his foot and it was emitting an odor, but I didn't catch who they said. So . . . problem solved, I guess.

Then yesterday you could hear people whispering that they could smell something like a fart. Are these adults? If you smell something, just ignore it and be a professional. If it's so egregious that you can't take it, then deal with it some other way.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Any opinion on this? Whenever I make a glaring mistake at work, I get very anxious and down on myself. This was with our most valued client. I supervise the project. I was sent an updated Excel sheet with actions to take on certain people on our list. I was told on the sheet on 3/9 to delay calling this person until 3/16. However, since most of the entries above and below this person said to remove them, I just removed this person from our list instead of putting in a delay. As a result, the person never was called when they should have been called 11 days ago.

I send the updated list to the client each day, and he did not notice that that person was missing. Today he sent an action form and simply mentioned on it to remove that person. He didn't mention that he was disappointed that we had not called him, although it is an issue no doubt. Since I've been supervising this study, I don't recall any instance like this. I don't know whether I should e-mail him that I just realized I accidentally deleted him, say I'm sorry and ask if he wants me to call him, or just leave it and hope it's not as big a deal as I'm making it out to be. I'm really bummed about this.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I've seriously just had it with my job. I've been at this place for 15 years when I could have been doing something else, and I stay because of the comfort and flexibility. It's more the company itself that's getting under my skin. It's a very small company but growing too fast and behaving like some big deal. We had a project recently that was presented as a huge deal, a million dollar contract. It has been mounted so poorly both from the client's side and our side, and taken so long, that it's ridiculous.

Aside from that, it appears that, without explicitly saying so, they're trying to phase out or at least diminish further, one of the departments I work in. Another of the departments in which I do work has also changed with the surprise resignation of the main guy in it with whom I've worked for eight years. The woman who is taking his spot, at least temporarily, has only been at this place a month, and I have a huge crush on her, more than any other co-worker I've had. It's causing anxiety and depression to have a crush on someone at work and feel inadequate.

I want to find something else, but it's not the right time, and that's aggravating.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I'm not as intimidated by this woman who joined about five months ago, but it's still an issue. This woman . . . is gorgeous! I can't get over it despite the fact that we've worked together on a few things and her personality, even though she's very nice, is that of a whiny hipster liberal. Unfortunately she's got a guy and is 11 years younger (not that I could get someone in her league anyway, although from the occluded pics the guy has posted online, her BF isn't that great looking). I think this other guy with whom I work closely also has taken a shine to her because he talks to her the same way he did this other girl I think he also liked.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Just a general question. Is the U.S. job market really that bad, and is it across the board -- high level and lower level jobs? I read about people sending resumes out and going on interviews for months and years and not getting a job. It just seems unlikely, that maybe they're aiming too high. If you want a job, meaning just money coming in, you should be able to get one, right? If Ke'enicshqua who provides horrible, surly service and spits in your food at your local Arby's can get a job, anyone can. I'm just wondering because I'm desperate to leave my job of 16 years, but I keep hearing horror stories about job searches.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Anybody deal with this word on a nearly daily basis, and say it themselves?

"JAGITMYEMAIL?"

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
It's a new year, and each year I tell myself I'm going to work to get a new job, but I never do. This has gone on for over 17 years!!! This job is just too comfortable that I can't extricate myself from it even though I can't take it anymore. It's comfortable in terms of me having a lot of "respect", so to speak, and being scared of starting on the bottom rung. More than that, it fits my schedule. I have tried to go to the movies as much as I can, and I'm a weekday matinee person; I try not to do weekend or evening movies. The fact that I don't drive means I'm limited to the bus schedule anyway, and I don't have a bus on the weekends anymore (we work Saturdays too). This flexible job schedule has allowed me to sometimes go to movies in the morning or early afternoon, and then just say I'm coming in later, as I primarily work evenings. Considering that 95% of any job I'd be getting would be daylight hours, that would put the kibosh on that.

Just don't know what to do. Aside from the above consideration, which most would consider trivial, I don't know what I'd be qualified to do except office work, data entry, or something clerical. I have a degree, but it's useless at this point (won't go into it because it's a sore spot). I feel like I'm totally stuck. I may be in the same situation as others in the company who have been at the place even longer than myself. I look at myself and think "What the hell am I doing?!? I've been at this same job since I was 24 freaking years old!!"

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Looks like I might be leaving my job of 17+ years earlier than I was expecting/wanting. Don't get me wrong; I want to leave, but wasn't ready yet. My small company is growing, and will be moving to new offices soon. My manager has talked to the other two supervisors privately, but not me yet because I'm too busy. However, they shared what was discussed. We've had rumblings of the idea of working from home and dissolving the office portion of our department, but now it looks like they want to do it, and soon. The problem is that I can't work from home because, even if they supplied a computer, I don't have the internet, and wouldn't get it for this job. Unless they're wanting to fold me in to another department, which is possible, I'm probably out, as are some of the employees in our department whom we supervise, if they cannot work from home. Dem's the breaks, though. Whatever.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Why can't you get internet at home? Working from home sounds so much better than commuting every day.
I don't want the internet installed. I use it enough. Without going into details, my job involves a lot of outbound calls, and I don't think it would work doing it from home. Plus, the other supervisors mentioned a change to the pay structure too, potentially less money because we might be paid based on production. I do a lot of other duties, though, so perhaps they may want to fold me in to something different; will have to wait for a meeting with the manager. I was wanting to look for a job soon, but this forces the issue.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
If you take a leave of absence from a job, but you have health insurance through the company, is it possible to pay that insurance premium from your own pocket, or are you not covered during that leave? I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this current job, perhaps stay, perhaps quit, perhaps ask for a leave so I can say I'm still nominally employed while I look (as it's not advisable to be without a job when looking for a job).

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I really don't know what to do. My company is moving to new offices, but my specific department isn't going with them . . . except for me, I found out in the last couple days. The rest are being transitioned to work at home, if they can do it, or to no job, if they cannot or don't want to. I'm being brought over because I do other duties in addition to our main thing, although the time spent on that has decreased significantly. The two other supervisors in our department, with whom I work closely, will be at-home workers. One of them I have worked with for over 15 of my 17 years at this f'ing place.

We toured the new office yesterday, and even though the main desk area we are slated to be in would not have room for the project managers and all three of us supervisors, the room has these four small glass-doored cubby holes that could easily be used as small offices for the other two supervisors and even myself. Instead, they've said that they're intended as "phone booths" to make private client calls (even though people will have phones at their desks and it's not like anyone has secrets between clients or anybody else or that the small rooms would offer any privacy). One is a "nursing station", I guess, as we have a bunch of liberal fvckheads at this place. So they're wasting what could be mini-offices. I asked my manager about that, and she totally dismissed the idea. Basically, we're being given no respect, as usual.

If I decide to go to this office, I would be in close quarters with her and another manager, two people who, even though I've known them for almost my whole time at the place (and they've been employed longer), have really been rubbing me the wrong way. The other has a personality problem that has gotten worse over time. I'm just not sure I want to do it, and also the structure of how we do some things is going to change, including pay, which could be lower. My options are to go to the new place, share my fellow supervisors' lot and that of the folks we supervise and work from home even though I would have to get internet, or quit. I feel lost because I've been at this job for so long, and my routine has been so totally ingrained into the job's abnormal hours and flexibility, that I don't know what else I could do. I can't figure it out.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
The other departments at my job have moved offices to across town. Our department will remain on this barren floor for the month (it looks like Who village after the Grinch cleaned it out) until the lease runs out. Then we're slated to be work-at-home folks. That is, except for me. I'm supposed to work at the new office and serve as an anchor or hub for the at-home operation. The pay structure hasn't even been worked out, and will likely cause several folks to quit. Some people don't have internet or computer proficiency, meaning their odds of being successful working from home are low. If I go to the new place, I'd be working in close proximity to two managers who have grown to get really under my skin, and probably me under theirs. They've been at this place longer than I (17 years for me). In our meeting the other day I felt more positive, but today I'm just not feeling it. I might have to quit soon. I haven't been looking but half-*****edly, and I don't know what to do. Others in my department are having a similarly despairing feeling.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Considering leaving this job of 17 years (something I've done many, many times) feels like trying to leave an abusive relationship where it's bad for you, but it's comfortable and familiar, so you stay. (Not that I've been in a relationship.) The hours and flexibility I have are just too good to turn my back on. I'm SO accustomed to it that when I look at job ads promising regular daylight M-F hours, it's depressing. I want to have a weekday off in exchange for working Saturday or Sunday (I don't have that now; we work six days, but I can do stuff in mornings or early afternoon before work). I realize I cannot stay on at this job; these changes are intolerable and will likely cause many in my small department to quit. Just don't know what to do.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
How is the pay?
It wouldn't be considered good by most standards, but for my purposes, it's serviceable being a single guy with not that many expenses. I have a pretty good buffer. It's not technically a full-time job, although I usually get full-time hours and more. Really, though, pay is secondary to whether I feel comfortable in a job. What is going to cause several people to quit is that they're going to be restructuring how people are paid with this work-at-home deal. Since I'm slated to stay in the office, I don't know if I'll continue to get hourly or if I'll be in the same situation with others as far as being paid for results. They haven't even really figured out yet how people are going to be paid, and this is supposed to happen at the end of this month. It's a clusterfvck.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I looked further into a job that I'm interested in, a "lockbox" job which I guess includes data entry, which has been my forte. It looks like they have separate listings for the same or similar job. One is just Monday to Friday FT, but three others have the exact schedule I want -- working both Saturday and Sunday and then three weekdays, with two weekdays off. Weekends are meaningless to me because I don't drive, and my weekend bus was cancelled in 2011 (I get a ride or walk to an adjacent town for another bus on weekends). Most likely I'll find some way to screw this up, or won't be qualified for the job due to pretty much all math proficiency leaving me after college. Anybody know what a lockbox job entails?

We've only got two weeks left in our office, then we're being switched to at-home employees, except for me (I'm scheduled to go to the new office). I'm sensing some resentment from employees, including the other two supervisors, that I'm going to the office and not working from home. One of the supervisors, whom I've known since 2002, said that another employee told her that I must not be worried considering that I'm going to the new office, when they'll have to find some way to work at home and deal with a new pay structure. The supervisor told her that I'm not happy, so we're all in the same situation. I've needed to get a new job for many, many years, but if it can't be a schedule that's attractive to me, what's the point? I might as well stay at this Hell. That's why I'm trying to get a good schedule first, then figure out if I like the job (not saying I would get this job).

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I filled out and transmitted my online application for a job at a bank (in the offices, not a consumer location) which I guess/hope involves primarily data entry. The problem is that I don't know if the job is actually open or if it's just a general application where they look at the info of all the people who have applied in the past year or whatever, when they need someone for that position. The schedule offered is ideal for me, so I'm hesitant to try to apply for anything else until I give this a moment.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I was moved over to the new office, while my co-workers in my department stayed behind and face working at home. Actually, they'll all be working at this new office for the next few days, as nothing has gone as planned, and it all had to take place a week earlier than anticipated. I don't like that I was singled out to go to this new office; feeling some resentment from the other two supervisors and the other employees. Whatever; I'm trying to find another job anyway.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Got a call while I was at work for a job for which I applied. It went to voicemail, and I had so much to do that I wasn't able to return the call. She sent an additional assessment that I would need to fill out which will further screen whether I'm good for the job. It's a big corporation, so I imagine it's several steps to determine if they want you.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
So I took the online assessment for the job I mentioned above. They asked a bunch of questions about what you would do in different situations at work and such. I didn't hear back from my message to the recruiting manager last night. I checked the status of my overall submission today, and it says "No Longer Under Consideration". Don't know what happened. Feeling pretty low.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts