Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
5661 - 5680 of 5685 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,422 Posts
A girl I took a night class with at a local community college several years ago, it looked like she just moved into that light yellow house adjacent to mine (from what I could see). The next block over. We sat next to each other every class and we just partner up all the time along with another girl. After class, I will always give them a ride and drop them off close to their home, because by then it is usually after dark and they are uncomfortable walking home. I was the only one with a car amongst them.

I ran into her over the weekend and I thought she looked really familiar. Today I ran into her again when I was walking my dog around the block and it finally hit me who she was after I went home. We made quick glancing eye contact and she didn't seem to recognize me either. She has ash blonde hair now, so I probably didn't recognize at at first for that reason. Meanwhile my hair color now also isn't the same as then. Nowhere close lol. If I run into her again which I am likely to, not sure if I should try to say 'hi' and look weird for not being recognized or just keep walking and look rude as she obviously recognizes me. What's harder is, I still can't remember what her name is.

·
Super Moderator
34,556 Posts
@Blue Dino

What gets me is sometimes I can't retrieve the name of people I see often and know pretty well. I was going to this one school once in the 90s and I see this lady I had talked to often coming across the lot and my brain just wouldn't give me her name. So I was just like "Hey you!". She just looked at me like "I have a name you know!". But also somewhat bewildered. I think she must have thought I had only been pretending to know her and like her or something.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,242 Posts
Where? Here?
I’ve been watching a Euro Series called Into The Night, it has a crazy cast of people but it just interests me when people who have different native tongues also speak a secondary language between them, in this case all these different people are speaking either French or English as their lingua franca

·
Registered
424 Posts
I’ve been watching a Euro Series called Into The Night, it has a crazy cast of people but it just interests me when people who have different native tongues also speak a secondary language between them, in this case all these different people are speaking either French or English as their lingua franca
yeah it is typically (northern) European to know more than one language. But since you are Canadian aren’t you able either to speak French?

·
Super Moderator
8,422 Posts
I hate being offered fruit shortly after I brushed my teeth. This seems to always happen.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,242 Posts
yeah it is typically (northern) European to know more than one language. But since you are Canadian aren’t you able either to speak French?
I don’t speak French, only took it to grade 6 in school. Here in Canada most of the French are concentrated in the province of Quebec, with bits sprinkled around the rest of the country, so unless you are from Quebec,
or a French family, it’s not uncommon to only speak English outside that province. I am trying to learn some Spanish via Duolingo but at this point I can only really pick out random words or sentences when listening to it, reading is slightly better, & speaking I do get a little tongue tied sometimes if I try to speak at a regular speed instead of slowly to make sure I say the words right

·
Registered
214 Posts
Have to listen to my gut. Something tells me something is a bad idea its a bad idea and not just a symptom of anxiety or whatever I'm over thinking. Learned my lesson. Not even just me that got hurt too.

5661 - 5680 of 5685 Posts