Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
5561 - 5580 of 5586 Posts

·
customusertitle
783 Posts
It's really weird realising what shapes you. I'm pretty proudly Welsh. And yet what makes me Welsh? I was born here, my parents were born here. All raised in Wales too. Of my grandparents, only one was born and raised in Wales (another born but not raised, another raised but not born). Great-grandparents? Born in Wales, England, France, some raised in Wales. You have to go back another generation to find someone fluent in Welsh. (OK, that's technically the English's fault)

My surname isn't Welsh. My first name isn't Welsh. I don't have a cool Welsh accent. My dad and I are the only ones born and raised in the town we live in. So why do I feel Welsh? Do I even have a right to feel Welsh? How long do you have to live in a country to feel like you're part of it? How many generations have to live in a country before you can be patriotic?
I think about these questions a lot too, not sure why.

I feel weirdly connected to my country as an "idea", but not so much as a "real life" thing that exists, lol. I think I've obsessed over almost every part of its history at one point or other (and I know a lot of it more than most). I do consider myself "patriotic" since I don't really belong anywhere else, and this is the place I'm most familiar with, and all my stuff is here, etc. so I care for it to be as best as it can be, because why wouldn't I? :unsure: [I often do get obsessed with its politics and cultural struggles, even though I don't really feel very familiar with the culture itself a lot of the time, oddly enough].

I think what makes a country is basically two things:
  • a shared "destiny" (or "future" if you want to be less dramatic about it)
  • a kind of mythos about how this country came to be and what actually defines it and defines its culture. The actual history or reality doesn't really matter as much as how people perceive it, and the stories they tell themselves about it.

I think all countries have those kinds of myths (some more than others, and some very fragile countries have very weak myths [e.g. a lot of African nations]), and sometimes the myth is all that there is that keeps a certain country from collapsing into chaos and anarchy. This is a scary thought but I do think it's true, which is why I think a certain degree of nationalism can be healthy.

I don't really know or care where my great grandparents were from. I think I claim (shared) ownership of the culture ( + all the history) just by virtue of being born here, because why not really? 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
17 Posts

the fallen king
you and wackness a common thing
birds like yall often sing
been rapping since before compact disks
you lack weaponry to combat this
get the next line
im the best shine
everything fire in text rhyme
you should fall back
cuz all yall wack
i get high staring at tall wall cracks
the beast flow
you shook like when you see ghosts
im the truth if you need hope
pain and love i bleed both

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,021 Posts
The number of covid cases here has really shot up in July. Anecdotally we had some builders here who tested positive for covid last Thursday, my dad's neighbours also have covid (in the last week or two,) and my best friend's sister and her partner tested positive days ago.

·
Registered
17 Posts
sorry foe so many verses...feeling creative o_O

ima tryna make ends
swing on you like cave men
me and legends write with the same pen
gods gift
the thoughts swift
that bring raw ish
first kill
the verse iLL
you display the worst skill
the fresh is here
the best to hear
mc vet to fear

·
Karmically Cryptic
Wonder
1,333 Posts
I wonder who would win in a race of a duck vs a turtle. We have ducks where I live, they're cute but they're so dumb they walk sideways into oncoming traffic and turtles are super slow.

·
Permanently An Idiot
2,271 Posts
I hate that sustainable living requires financial stability. It really depresses me realising I can't actually afford to be completely plastic free.

·
Registered
Unbreakable
3,439 Posts
I was not born what I became which I was born to become, but I became what I became and I was always meant to become what I became, which I became... my head hurts

·
drifting in mist
595 Posts
I have mixed feelings about billionaires commercializing space flight. On the one hand there's the technological innovation and the prospect of making it available in the future like airplanes are now. But on the other hand it feels like they are profaning something that was sacred. At least with NASA it was a national effort shared by all, with lofty ideals about the potential of humanity. That is being replaced now by ego tripping individuals whose lives are devoted to exploitation and profit. I'm just glad we're not going interstellar yet when we are still so morally backwards.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,021 Posts

I might have watched it if it was about Loki in every universe or something or I might make that video one day, but I don't like Doctor Who anyway. CJ The X could probably find a way to get me to watch at least an hour and 22 minutes though. Remember the time:

edit: loooooool

Did everyone just get suggested this video at the same time or are we always watching the same thing at the same time. Happened when I watched the last Loki TV show too (and no not on the day it was released.) That actually was the exact same time though, this tweet is from many hours ago.

·
Permanently An Idiot
2,271 Posts
If I thought Bezos had any self-awareness or a sense of humour, I'd think he shaped his rocket like that as a joke. Maybe he really is compensating for something. Or some engineer pranked him.

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
When you do finally get some hot weather here, the sodding insects tend to make it a nightmare in my room! I have vaguely considered insect screens but no-one really has them here. Think I've said all that before on here. Anyway, it's not really particularly impressive IMO. The nights have nearly all still been markedly chilly this summer. Believe or not, in many previous years I have been able to leave my sash window wide open, day and night, for months. There were also several quite lengthy periods where you could sleep just inside a duvet cover with no duvet or anything. Absolutely have not been able to do either this year! Though the temperature of my room is currently near 90 (summer average room temp should be around 80, yes even in the UK at least in London/the South-East), and the humidity is certainly very high.

5561 - 5580 of 5586 Posts