Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
5541 - 5560 of 5586 Posts

·
Loathed Loiterer
8,250 Posts
The neighborhood is riddled with missing dog flyers. Must be from the fireworks.

·
😒🤡
6,597 Posts
I just saw a random knickknack in the house. 😂 When I looked at it I was like WTF? Cause I couldn't tell if it belongs to the woman that lives here or the old man. I've never known the old man to have knicknacks so yea. :unsure:

·
Karmically Cryptic
Wonder
1,333 Posts
@harrison That's awesome! Did you get a new doctor? I remember you saying something about it being hard for you to find a good one.

·
bipolar
17,099 Posts
@harrison That's awesome! Did you get a new doctor? I remember you saying something about it being hard for you to find a good one.
Hi mate - sorry for the delay. No, I haven't got a new psych - this lady is a GP but she's very nice. She said if I need to talk to her just to call the clinic and get them to tell her and she'll give me a call back. It's good to have a bit of support and she's been very understanding. I do have a new therapist I'll be seeing in a week or so though. That should be good too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
lay back
lemme state facts
i spit sick and blaze tracks
illest known
im where the killers roam
sickest flow
you a timid foe
the brightest mind
i see with a psychic's eye
every rhyme i write divine
you spit wack rap
my flow fire make you stand back
i move faster than bullets
when the gat clap
pure sickness
dope ish im raw vicious

haha...yall know how it is out here...maybe my last rap...nothing but war

·
Karmically Cryptic
Wonder
1,333 Posts
Hi mate - sorry for the delay. No, I haven't got a new psych - this lady is a GP but she's very nice. She said if I need to talk to her just to call the clinic and get them to tell her and she'll give me a call back. It's good to have a bit of support and she's been very understanding. I do have a new therapist I'll be seeing in a week or so though. That should be good too.
No worries man, I figured you just hadn't seen it. :) I'm happy and excited for you! Having a good support system is important and can do wonders for our mental health. Just knowing you have someone you can rely on and who knows what they're doing can ease the mind.

·
Permanently An Idiot
2,271 Posts
It's really weird realising what shapes you. I'm pretty proudly Welsh. And yet what makes me Welsh? I was born here, my parents were born here. All raised in Wales too. Of my grandparents, only one was born and raised in Wales (another born but not raised, another raised but not born). Great-grandparents? Born in Wales, England, France, some raised in Wales. You have to go back another generation to find someone fluent in Welsh. (OK, that's technically the English's fault)

My surname isn't Welsh. My first name isn't Welsh. I don't have a cool Welsh accent. My dad and I are the only ones born and raised in the town we live in. So why do I feel Welsh? Do I even have a right to feel Welsh? How long do you have to live in a country to feel like you're part of it? How many generations have to live in a country before you can be patriotic?

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,023 Posts
@TheWelshOne

My dad is really proud of being English and a nationalist but his dad was half Welsh and my dad's mum was born in Danzig (now part of Poland, I think her background was Swedish and Russian though supposedly,) lol.* I always kind of internalised my issues as being connected to my town and in a broader sense the UK (England mostly,) my school, my location basically 'if I moved things would be better.' So growing up I really wanted to leave. I wanted to stay in France when we went on holiday there because I always had fun there and was separated from certain people, and I also went through a brief phase of being obsessed with Finland and wanting to move there (later on Japan.)

I think the only time where I sort of felt more connected to the UK was when I was really into Patrick Wolf's music as a teenager, because he has a really great way of describing landscapes etc lyrically. Also kind of nomadic 'let's run away' vibes anyway.

And (and this isn't a coincidence I'm fairly sure)

is second album of 2005, Wind In The Wires, which was inspired by Patrick's Cornish and Irish roots, was released on the same label and likewise met with critical acclaim. The single Tristan, based on the Cornish legend, Tristram of Lyonesse, received significant attention from critics and remains a fan favourite.
Also I just don't think England specifically (I mean England not the UK,) has a lot of good lore/history and a lot of the stuff that gets connected to English identity now is gross and I don't identify with. I link this blog too much and they're talking about the US but it's relatable here too if you change certain details and replace America with UK:

I Can Tolerate Anything Except The Outgroup (slatestarcodexabridged.com)

The Red Tribe is most classically typified by conservative political beliefs, strong evangelical religious beliefs, creationism, opposing gay marriage, owning guns, eating steak, drinking Coca-Cola, driving SUVs, watching lots of TV, enjoying American football, getting conspicuously upset about terrorists and commies, marrying early, divorcing early, shouting “USA IS NUMBER ONE!!!”, and listening to country music.

The Blue Tribe is most classically typified by liberal political beliefs, vague agnosticism, supporting gay rights, thinking guns are barbaric, eating arugula, drinking fancy bottled water, driving Priuses, reading lots of books, being highly educated, mocking American football, feeling vaguely like they should like soccer but never really being able to get into it, getting conspicuously upset about sexists and bigots, marrying later, constantly pointing out how much more civilized European countries are than America, and listening to “everything except country”.

(There is a partly-formed attempt to spin off a Grey Tribe typified by libertarian political beliefs, Dawkins-style atheism, vague annoyance that the question of gay rights even comes up, eating paleo, drinking Soylent, calling in rides on Uber, reading lots of blogs, calling American football “sportsball”, getting conspicuously upset about the War on Drugs and the NSA, and listening to filk – but for our current purposes this is a distraction and they can safely be considered part of the Blue Tribe most of the time)
My hunch – both the Red Tribe and the Blue Tribe, for whatever reason, identify “America” with the Red Tribe. Ask people for typically “American” things, and you end up with a very Red list of characteristics – guns, religion, barbecues, American football, NASCAR, cowboys, SUVs, unrestrained capitalism.

That means the Red Tribe feels intensely patriotic about “their” country, and the Blue Tribe feels like they’re living in fortified enclaves deep in hostile territory.
England has some decent music/bands, other cool stuff is either applicable to UK as a whole (certain genetic pioneering stuff like children with three parents,) stuff that doesn't apply to England but applies to other areas of the UK, or just bad stuff. Terfs are probably usually English, even when they move to Edinburgh occasionally (randomly.)

*I have a theory that children of immigrants tend to go to one extreme or the other lol. This is slightly tangential but related whenever I look at the most obnoxious conservative personalities on social media too I notice a similar pattern where they're all like 'I'm a gay conservative,' I'm a lesbian conservative,' 'I'm a gay Jewish conservative,' 'I'm a conservative trans woman,' 'I'm a black conservative,' 'I'm a Jewish conservative.'

It's always a heavy part of their brand while they talk about identity politics bad. Definitely a lot of insecurity around.

·
Mad Scientist
1,100 Posts
I think knowledge of history, culture, language and some kind of ancestry informs ethnic identity for most people. Although all are not required.

My mother is a swedish speaking Finn (a result of the swedish occupation of Finland for 700 years) and my dad is Swedish but I don't feel "connected" to either, even if I can appreciate both. I think Swedish culture past christianization is a combination of mostly Polish and older Germanic traditions, whereas most of the pre-christian Finnish traditions were lost because of the Swedish occupation. Modern western European culture is so Americanized that the only distinction is linguistic, I don't find much to identify with.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,706 Posts
I've been reading a little bit on esports, and how many people don't consider them real sports. I would consider them the same as sports, and just as with physical sports I don't enjoy watching or participating in them. I don't have the same drive other people do, when it comes to sports. I remember how important it was to people back in the day, I don't think it is as big anymore though, at least it doesn't seem to be. I used to dread when people would ask me questions about sports, and it happened often, I always felt as though not being interested in them, would out me as some sort of freak. I don't get that impression anymore. Perhaps it is more socially acceptable not to like sports now? I dunno.

Esports seems to be gaining ground though, and it definitely feels the same to me. The players, the fans, they all behave the same as they would with physical styled sports and I don't really see the difference outside of one is virtual and the other is in the real world.

I love video games though, just not competitive ones, I never was very competitive and I don't like the behavior it brings out in other people, so I try to just avoid them in general.

5541 - 5560 of 5586 Posts