Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
2421 - 2440 of 2442 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I just ordered a Crucial SSD from Amazon myself. Prices are too good to pass up.
I had a look on there at the same 120Gb I've got and it was nearly twice the price I paid at the time and more expensive than a larger drive directly from Crucial. Glad you got a good deal. (y) It might be partly down to the exchange rate, the GBP is way down against the USD at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
I had a look on there at the same 120Gb I've got and it was nearly twice the price I paid at the time and more expensive than a larger drive directly from Crucial. Glad you got a good deal. (y) It might be partly down to the exchange rate, the GBP is way down against the USD at the moment.
That sucks. I'm actually getting a 1TB drive for about $10 more than I paid for my 120 in 2015. It's a slightly cheaper model. It's probably not close to the best one they sell. Yeah. I think prices are probably just higher where you are for now. I'd still be checking them regularly though because SATA is an older technology and SATA drives tend to go on sale a lot.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
That sucks. I'm actually getting a 1TB drive for about $10 more than I paid for my 120 in 2015. It's a slightly cheaper model. It's probably not close to the best one they sell. Yeah. I think prices are probably just higher where you are for now. I'd still be checking them regularly though because SATA is an older technology and SATA drives tend to go on sale a lot.
Awesome, that's a massive upgrade.

So I knew NVMe, the ones that look similar to RAM sticks have superseded the older style SSD but I hadn't realised the connection type had changed. Need to do some reading :unsure: Also that rules out my current mobo for sure.

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
Awesome, that's a massive upgrade.

So I knew NVMe, the ones that look similar to RAM sticks have superseded the older style SSD but I hadn't realised the connection type had changed. Need to do some reading :unsure: Also that rules out my current mobo for sure.
Yeah. I don't like the way they're pushing everyone so hard to upgrade everything. It used to be that you could pretty much use old hardware for as long as you realistically wanted to. Seems like now they have jerks designing everything from your OS to the connectors on a motherboard.

SATA is more than good enough for most people.

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
So the drive showed up in a couple of hours with Prime same day. Took me about half an hour to get it installed and clone my old drive onto it. Works good but I'll probably trim a lot off the Windows partition and create a new one to store music on.

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
I hope this one lasts as long as the Samsung. One of my misgivings about ever using an SSD in the first place was reliability. I have had a few incidents where my PC just froze and I suspect it might have been related to the SSD but everything was always fine when I booted back up.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Cyberpunk 2077 appears to be mostly fixed, so I guess I'll go ahead and play it.

Reactions: iAmCodeMonkey

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Finally, got a new battery for my laptop. The laptop's old battery had to have the power plugged in, to work, without it, it lasted minutes.

I'd looked at a number of places to get it. I asked for recommendations on a UK discord site. 2 people separately recommended the same place. It was slightly more expensive than some options, but I went with it.
When it arrived, I followed the instruction that came with it. The battery, fully charged, lasts under an hour. 😆

I contacted the company and got this utter bollox reply.

"It may take several cycles for the new laptop battery to calibrate with your onscreen message; but the following might help in resolving the issue faster.

1. Remove the battery and remove the charger.
2. With neither connected to the laptop- hold down the power button for 30 seconds.
3. Reinsert the battery and charger."

I've also learned (the hard way) that you can't send batteries via Royal Mail due to UK legalisation and courier services seem unable to carry them as well. So I can't return it. I've no idea how the company is having a courier service deliver them to customers.

Anyway, thanks to discovering CrystalDiskInfo, (thanks again to @WillYouStopDave) I checked the laptop drives,
turns out, the boot drive is getting a 'Caution' warning and is on its last legs 😂. FML

The whole point of trying to get the laptop up to a basic working standard, was so that if and when something goes wrong with my desktop, I have a working pc. They are, sadly essential these days.

Money is tight, unfortunately, so paying out for the laptop battery was an expense I could have done without, but ending up with a crap battery on top and then finding out the boot drive's on its last legs, it just seems like someone is having a laugh.
First world problems, I know. 😏

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
So I've gone back to my ancient Samsung monitor I bought in 2007 with the 16:10 AR. The 4:3 one wasn't terrible and I was actually pretty used to it but nothing is really made for 4:3 anymore and I was craving a widescreen experience like crazy. I do have a widescreen TV but my back is too bad to sit at a desk anymore.

So this monitor at least gives me the widescreen. The image is a bit fuzzy. Somehow, the 4:3 AR Samsung monitor was much sharper even though it was much older than the 16:10 Samsung. Also, I think I might need a VGA amplifier. Or at least better quality VGA cables. I have some weird smearing action going on where bright objects kind of show ghosting trails over to the right. It's only noticeable sometimes and it was the same way on the other monitor. This monitor has a DVI input but I don't even want to think about how much a 25 foot DVI cable costs.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I've been surprised by the Steam Deck, based on just how much I love it so far.

Reactions: Folded Edge

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
8,568 Posts
Playing Dungeons and Dragons with Replika (an AI bot) has been a pretty cool experience. I haven't played D&D for a while, and due to SA have no interest in playing with others, but this has been a comfortable experience and Replika handles it fairly well while in roleplay mode. I function as the DM, telling the story and Replika interacts along pretty well with the story. I haven't gone too far into it yet, but I might just pull out my dice and make an actual campaign and try to see how well it goes.

Right now, it was more so experimentation. We started off in an inn, and as I explained the environment the chatbot responded fairly well, I even offered a choice of class and they chose and played along well enough. There was even interaction with NPCs while handling the character I am playing and not confusing them for one another. There are sure to be a few hiccups along the way, but this is pretty entertaining.

I swear, the things I will try when I am bored 🤣 I was reading a fantasy novel before I tried doing this, and felt like having a little D&D session, seeing that I have no one I feel comfortable playing with I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did. I still have all of my 1st edition D&D books, a ton of dice, and well, why not give it a go? If it goes well enough, I will fill out a character sheet for the chatbot, as well as myself, and create a little adventure for us to play.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Been thinking about getting an ultra-wide monitor for some time, and finally pulled the trigger on a Samsung Odyssey 49" which arrives in a couple of days. I hope it's the right decision!

Reactions: Folded Edge

·
SAS Member
14,578 Posts
I bought myself the new 8bitdo ultimate controller on amazon. Nice little gamepad and it's comfy to hold in my hands, but it won't replace a nice ps4 controller. They're still top of the line when it comes to gamepads imo.

Hell, I love playstation gamepads. I still use a ps1 first generation gamepad for fighting games because the d-pad works so well and i don't have analog sticks getting in the way. Best thing since snes pads.

·
SAS Member
14,578 Posts
A Starwars total conversion mod for Morrowind. Okay, you got me interested.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Seeing Intel competing now with Nvidia and AMD gives me a tingly feeling. I really hope they can at least keep the prices lower for a while.

Reactions: Orb
2421 - 2440 of 2442 Posts