Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
2401 - 2420 of 2442 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
You know, I really wish there were more games where you could play as a "bad guy." I love the Elder Scrolls series, for instance, because I can totally be a thief and especially an assassin -- I LOVE the Dark Brotherhood! And I love SWTOR because I can play as a Sith, or as a "fallen" Jedi -- although the "Light-side" Sith stories are still my favorite. Anyone remember the Black & White games? I loved playing those as an "Evil God," randomly sacrificing my people...

I've always had an affinity for "villains." I wish more games would let us explore the darker sides of our nature. I suppose that far too many people can't separate fantasy from reality, though, which is probably why "bad guy" games tend to be very humorous/tongue-in-cheek, and very rare.

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
Ordered a new bat tree for my 8 year old laptop. Of course I rarely ever use the laptop but I bought it for things like power outages and it did come in handy a few years ago when my mother was in the hospital for weeks.

I noticed lately it's been losing capacity faster and faster. I thought it would be difficult to replace but found a couple of youtube vids and it's very simple. Assuming you can get the bottom off without breaking anything or puncturing the battery with a sharp object (I absolutely did not pry the bottom off with a steak knife!).

Anyway, I got lucky. The bottom fought me a little but came off without a lot of drama and nothing caught on fire so that was a win. Now I'm just waiting for the new battery and hoping it's not junk. I bought the right battery (technically) but it's a 3rd party battery so it could be a POS.

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
Got battery. Swapped it out. 5% wear level right out of the box. I consider that a win since that will certainly be good enough to hold this laptop over for several more years of usefulness (technically, the original battery probably would have still been fine for several more years but if it's for emergency use, it needs to have most of it's full capacity).

Now hopefully I won't forget to shut it down and put it away in sleep mode like I did several times with the original battery and ended up pulling it out dead dead dead.

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
Got battery. Swapped it out. 5% wear level right out of the box. I consider that a win since that will certainly be good enough to hold this laptop over for several more years of usefulness (technically, the original battery probably would have still been fine for several more years but if it's for emergency use, it needs to have most of it's full capacity).

Now hopefully I won't forget to shut it down and put it away in sleep mode like I did several times with the original battery and ended up pulling it out dead dead dead.
I may have spoken too soon. The battery absolutely will not charge above 93% no matter how long it's left on the charger. When I look in HW Monitor, it shows the wear level, the design capacity, the actual capacity and the current capacity. The current capacity is significantly lower than the supposed actual capacity. I should have known better than to buy the cheapest battery.

OTOH, I charged it up to 93% and launched VLC and let it play a movie on repeat nonstop until it hit 5% and the battery lasted almost 10 hours. I suppose I can't complain too much for a $25 life extension for an 8 year old laptop that cost less than $200 brand new. I rarely ever need to use this thing for more than a couple of hours so I guess I'll just live with it.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
As someone who's had the privilege of using YouTube since nearly it's inception (2006), I feel that the related results algorithm is absolutely trash. It peaked around the 2010's and it's been up and down but recently has been utterly useless. I used to be able to spend hours just on YouTube alone because of how good the related results were at finding similar content. There was a year or two where it was just very good and I honestly spent almost too much time on YouTube alone but there was at least comfort. Now it feels like there needs to be a revolution of some sort. Perhaps someone can come up with a wrapper site that just acts as a proxy for YouTube but instead has a better algorithm. Google likely won't allow it to exist but it's just surprising to see how poor in quality it's become over the years.

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
As someone who's had the privilege of using YouTube since nearly it's inception (2006), I feel that the related results algorithm is absolutely trash. It peaked around the 2010's and it's been up and down but recently has been utterly useless. I used to be able to spend hours just on YouTube alone because of how good the related results were at finding similar content. There was a year or two where it was just very good and I honestly spent almost too much time on YouTube alone but there was at least comfort. Now it feels like there needs to be a revolution of some sort. Perhaps someone can come up with a wrapper site that just acts as a proxy for YouTube but instead has a better algorithm. Google likely won't allow it to exist but it's just surprising to see how poor in quality it's become over the years.
I don't know. I think it has been pretty good for me the last year or so. Better than it used to be for sure.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I don't know. I think it has been pretty good for me the last year or so. Better than it used to be for sure.
I agree with you. I've subscribed to a bunch of new channels in the last 6 months to a year or so, based on YouTube related/recommendations.

Reactions: WillYouStopDave

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I wish I had that luck. The new recommended seems to be almost random unless you filter it to just "related" but it only shows a handful (albeit actually related) whereas at one time, the only thing you did see were distinct related videos. This is different from now where you're shown random things based on what you watched before and some of them might only be related by a tag but aren't really the same thing (e.g. seeing music from different genre just because YouTube tags them as music). I recall once being on a video for disco and the only thing I did get recommended was actually disco. Compare that to now where I see videos unrelated to music, music from other genre, and ads. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Orb

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I got gifted a game on Steam by a friend of mine yesterday. This was a really nice gesture (it cost $30) but it isn't really my kind of game. And, now I feel like I have to put in a bunch of hours into it. That said, it has an 'overwhelmingly positive' rating on Steam so who knows, maybe I'll get into it (the game is called Satisfactory).

·
Registered
Crawling out
400 Posts
How they massacred my chibi pirate brawlers... ReskinnedStory, is what this game should be renamed to now because of all the attacks that are basically identical across the board. What's the point of having a large amount of classes, when they all essentially play the same. Clearing out the map as fast as possible is now the name of the game, but I guess some people enjoy that. Fans of the older style of the MMORPG keep holding their breath for a classic server, and I think it might work with major tweaks to remove some of the grind and many additions for quality of life.

Fire/Poison Mage (BOOM) and Marksman (crossbows) were other slow hard-hitting classes that I have enjoyed playing. Corsairs (gunslinging pirates that focused on summoning) were fun too. My first love were Thunder Breakers, which were pirates that shot out electrified green sharks to clear mobs (even made a video on it when I was young, showing YouTube how cool the class was).

·
Registered
Crawling out
400 Posts
My little sister's been bugging me nonstop about wanting to play Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing before she starts school again. It's a good racing game full of personality and a mix of interesting characters, but she played that game to death years ago. I enjoyed watching her play games. Overreacts and calls them names. She was a murder machine in Oblivion and Skyrim 😆 but I digress. Will show her Pac-Man World Re-Pac instead, which I kind of want to play. I played the original on the PS1 a long time ago.

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
So I just looked at the SMART data on my original SSD (Samsung 850 EVO). It's about 5 years old and has like 36,000 hours on it. Still works flawlessly but the health of it shows as "89% Good" now so I'm guessing there's some significant degradation. Or maybe the health status just changes automatically as they get older.

In some ways, that's possibly worse than mechanical HDD because I know I have had HDDs that were 10 years old and still worked like new. But the speed alone has been worth it I guess.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
So I just looked at the SMART data on my original SSD (Samsung 850 EVO). It's about 5 years old and has like 36,000 hours on it. Still works flawlessly but the health of it shows as "89% Good" now so I'm guessing there's some significant degradation. Or maybe the health status just changes automatically as they get older.

In some ways, that's possibly worse than mechanical HDD because I know I have had HDDs that were 10 years old and still worked like new. But the speed alone has been worth it I guess.
I didn't know you could check this. I'll look at mine when on my desktop, tomorrow. Cheers (y)

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
I didn't know you could check this. I'll look at mine when on my desktop, tomorrow. Cheers (y)
Yes. I think there are various programs you can use to monitor it (and Windows might even have a built-in facility for it) but it's been so long since I messed around with it, I don't remember how I used to do it.

So what I did yesterday was downloaded CrystalDiskInfo (Freeware). That's the one you want if you just want to see the SMART data. I downloaded it because I bought a used SSD from Goodwill and wanted to see if my guess was correct that it was brand new and never used (it was).

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
So I got and installed CrystalDiskInfo (thanks for the suggestion)

My SSD is used as my boot drive, and it's only 120GB. It's getting a Health Status of 62%. I’ve backed up most of what's stored on it (I'll need to recheck that shortly though)

My question is, at what point/percentage of Health Status should you just ditch a drive or is it a case of back up (if it's a boot drive at least) and use it till it dies?

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
So I got and installed CrystalDiskInfo (thanks for the suggestion)

My SSD is used as my boot drive, and it's only 120GB. It's getting a Health Status of 62%. I’ve backed up most of what's stored on it (I'll need to recheck that shortly though)

My question is, at what point/percentage of Health Status should you just ditch a drive or is it a case of back up (if it's a boot drive at least) and use it till it dies?
Well, I'm just guessing. I've never had an SSD die on me yet and I'm not really sure how accurate the state of health stat actually is. I can only say that of the two SSDs I've been using as boot drives, both of them have a health status of over 80%. The Samsung is from 2015 (I think) and has been as heavily used as is possible for a system that is primarily used just for Windows and web browsing. The other one is a Kingston which I bought a couple of years ago with the sole criteria being that it be an SSD and be as cheap as possible. I don't trust the Kingston one for some reason but it seems to work fine.

What brand is your drive and how old is it?

Personally, if you can afford it, you might just want to replace it SATA SSDs are pretty cheap now and it's pretty easy to clone your boot drive to a new one. Some people say you should do a fresh install or it will affect performance but I never do. Just be aware that if you are using it with Windows 10 and you swap out the boot drive, you might run into problems with your Windows license. I am just using Windows without a license so it wasn't much of a risk for me but if you paid for a license, you need to handle any major hardware swaps delicately.

That said, another thing I would consider doing is purchasing a new SSD, cloning the boot drive and putting the copy away just in case and just keep using it until it dies. The problem with that approach is you'd probably want to redo the clone every now and then to make sure the backup isn't way behind.

I have a copy of my boot drive put away somewhere on a newish SSD.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Well, I'm just guessing. I've never had an SSD die on me yet and I'm not really sure how accurate the state of health stat actually is. I can only say that of the two SSDs I've been using as boot drives, both of them have a health status of over 80%. The Samsung is from 2015 (I think) and has been as heavily used as is possible for a system that is primarily used just for Windows and web browsing. The other one is a Kingston which I bought a couple of years ago with the sole criteria being that it be an SSD and be as cheap as possible. I don't trust the Kingston one for some reason but it seems to work fine.

What brand is your drive and how old is it?

Personally, if you can afford it, you might just want to replace it SATA SSDs are pretty cheap now and it's pretty easy to clone your boot drive to a new one. Some people say you should do a fresh install or it will affect performance but I never do. Just be aware that if you are using it with Windows 10 and you swap out the boot drive, you might run into problems with your Windows license. I am just using Windows without a license so it wasn't much of a risk for me but if you paid for a license, you need to handle any major hardware swaps delicately.

That said, another thing I would consider doing is purchasing a new SSD, cloning the boot drive and putting the copy away just in case and just keep using it until it dies. The problem with that approach is you'd probably want to redo the clone every now and then to make sure the backup isn't way behind.

I have a copy of my boot drive put away somewhere on a newish SSD.
I had to go back check, it was bought brand new and has been in use (a lot of use) since 2014. It's a Crucial M500.

It's done well considering how long and how much use it's had.

I'm shamefully and stupidly, still using Windows 7 on the desktop, I've got Windows 10 on the laptop I have, but that needs work, that's old as well. It's needed a new battery ever since a family member gave me it a number of years ago. It's been seriously overheating of late, so I just ordered a new battery for it last week. I spent the money in the hope that it sorts the problem, leaving me with at least one fully working PC.

Anyway, both are running unlicensed copies of Windows, so that's not a worry.

I'm happy enough doing fresh installs and after the first bit of hassle getting it back to where you want it, I'm usually glad that I did, but this has been the longest I've ever went without reinstalling, never mind using an out of date OS.

I had held off in fear that the Soundcard wouldn’t work with Win 10 and ironically, I read just not that long ago, that it did work fine with it until a quite recent Windows update. Folk have come up with a workaround, but it looks a little complicated, but worth doing.

I'll need to look at replacing at some point, but my PC is now pretty old. It was decent enough when I built it (2009). The only thing I upgraded after I built it was the SSD and I had my RAM replaced a few years ago free of charge, when they crapped out on me. They're Crucial as well, they come with a lifetime guarantee, thankfully.

The only bits of it, worth saving/reusing, are the case and my main storage HDD and maybe the PSU. Plus my Soundcard, which is a decent entry level studio grade card, it's an EMU 1212M. But it's a PCI card(s) and I doubt I'd get a modern mobo that it would fit. To buy an up to date equivalent, I think would cost quite a bit.

I'm going to have to build a new one sooner, rather than later, though, but money has been the problem. And with the way inflation is and will going here, added to which, the insane energy prise rise here in October. Spending money on stuff like this won't be an option, being able to heat my flat over winter might well not be possible as much as I'd like or need over the winter.

Thank you for the advice, it's much appreciated.

Reactions: WillYouStopDave

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
@Folded Edge

Oh there's no shame in using Windows 7. The only reason I'm not still using it was that it seemed to have a weird glitch on my system where on a daily basis, after a few hours, youtube videos would start lagging and I'd have to end a certain process in the task manager and let it restart itself to fix things. I put up with it for a long time but finally got annoyed with doing it multiple times every day.

I didn't want to switch to Windows 10. Especially after the way they acted in trying to force everyone to switch over to it whether they wanted it or not.

2401 - 2420 of 2442 Posts